+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa at the Port of Entry

oliviarene

Star Member
Aug 11, 2012
For anyone who has applied for their visa at the port of entry..can you tell me about how long it takes for them to process everything?

reservoirdog

Star Member
Oct 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should tell which port of entry. I did it at Lewiston-Queenston bridge, Niagara Falls.
Took me a couple of hours

oliviarene

Star Member
Aug 11, 2012
I will be doing it at the Edmonton International Airport..I didn't know if it would vary from different places or if it was about the same general time limit for each place.

Did they interview you or anything or just go through all of your papers and process it all?

reservoirdog

Star Member
Oct 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I was just asking the POE cause I was told that the time depends on how many people will be there before you. I agree that the actual time to process all the papers is pretty much the same everywhere. I think I was kind of lucky cause there weren't many people at all. I have no idea how busy an airport would be though.
But for me, the total time from when I first spoke to an officer until I left was about 2 hours.

There was no interview, and I don't think they do them actually. I had the LMO and some proofs that I met the job requirements. I just gave them everything and took a seat.

oliviarene

Star Member
Aug 11, 2012
Ok cool that seems about right! Thank you..

The last part is what I am kind of worried about though. I do have work experience for the job that I applied for but it is not on my resume due to the fact that where I am from, there was never a full time, good paying position. I am worried that this might get me in a jam. But then on the other hand, I did get approved with the LMO and wouldn't they deny it if they didn't feel that I had the proper experience? Sorry if this is not your area I thought I might ask anyhow

reservoirdog

Star Member
Oct 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I believe that a positive LMO means that the employer is allowed to hire a foreign worker, they don't really check if you meet the job requirements.

My LMO was in the IT industry. The officer called me to the desk a few times during the process to ask me for some clarifications on the papers I gave her. Although I did have some experience on my resume, she gave me the impression that the degree was the most important proof I had cause she asked me several question about it.
So, I think that if the job requires a certain level of education that you have, there will be no problem.
But again, I didn't experience this exact situation so I'm not 100% sure.

oliviarene

Star Member
Aug 11, 2012
Ok yeah, I think I will be perfectly fine I just wanted to see if anyone had any input. The employer and I were going over the contract and there isn't anything that she put in there about having certain qualifications or any degrees of any sort. Thank you so much for your help!

reservoirdog

Star Member
Oct 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got sooo many answers from this forum and I'm glad to help when I can :)
Good luck with everything!