+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Veterinarian (Veterinary Doctor)

Classic

Aug 1, 2008
Hello everybody, I am Veterinary Doctor from Tamil nadu, 5 years experience in diagnosis and treatment of large animals particularly of cows. I like to file my case under skilled worker category for Permenant Residence, is better to wait for new list (rules) to see this occupation in demand or not? In canada what kind of occupation is in more demand for Veterinary professionals. Any information/suggestion!

Thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should wait for the list of 38. Also as a veterenarian, you probably face some licensing issues to work in Canada.

Classic

Aug 1, 2008
Thanks

Will license requirement for Immigration process or for Job as Veterinarian in Canada, can it affect immigration process. Which province have more demand for Veterinarian.

Regards

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your profession is going to be on the list for skilled worker, you can apply and get in but you will still have to re-certify and get licensed. If not, you can try to get a job in a related field, veterinary technician or something if you can swing a temporary license for that and work on a temporary work permit until you get licensed or apply for PR later through that job.

You should try to google association of veterinarians in Canada or board of or licensing of or something like that, see what you come up with. Maybe you can find an email for someone who knows more about licensing. You can look on job search websites for ads for veterinarians or veterinary techs to find out where there is most need.

Reactions: Mjkab

Classic

Aug 1, 2008
If someone like to work as Veterinary Assistant/Technician, will he/she have to pass certain exam to do work in this field.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I looked for licensing information and found this for veterinarians, you will need that if you want to re-certify, http://www.workdestinations.org/view_occupation.jsp?occupationUserDatumId=5372&lang=en

There are ads for vet assistant at http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_en.aspx?ProvId=99&Keyword=veterinarian+assistant&Sources=JobBank&Student=No and at http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_en.aspx?ProvId=99&Keyword=veterinary+assistant&Sources=JobBank&Student=No that don't require any education but they probably don't have to advertise a lot because many people want to work with animals. I knew a guy who worked as a vet assistant at a clinic and it's a low job and doesn't pay too much.

For technicians, there are job ads at http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/JobResult_en.aspx?ProvId=99&Keyword=veterinary+technician&Sources=JobBank&Student=No and some of them seem to want you to be licensed and some don't require it. A vet technician is usually 2 year college here. I found an association of theirs at http://www.caahtt-acttsa.ca/contact_us.php so you can ask them if you can take their exam easily to become a technician for now.

Reactions: Mjkab

Classic

Aug 1, 2008
Thankyou very much Leon, thanks lot you did lot for me in this connection.

Many many kind Regards

Classic

Aug 1, 2008
may be shortage of [size=10pt]veterinarian[/size] in some of the provinces!!!!

New immigration fast-track rules coming in fall
MEAGAN FITZPATRICK, Canwest News Service

Published: Friday, August 15

Immigration officials can expect their new set of instructions on which categories of applications to fast track in the early fall, Immigration Minister Diane Finley said yesterday.

The minister, who was given new power to issue the instructions as part of a reform to the immigration system contained in the last federal budget, is wrapping up a series of cross-country consultations in Ottawa today and will then start to finalize what categories of occupations will be pushed to the top of the list of applicants.

"We haven't identified specific occupations yet, that's what we're consulting with all of these stakeholders about," Finley said in an interview. Following today's meetings, Finley has one more set of consultations with the provinces in early September.
Once the House of Commons resumes in mid-September, Finley will present her recommendations to cabinet for its approval and she expects to issue the instructions "early in the fall, no question."

The priority list will be published on the website for Citizenship and Immigration Canada and in the department's annual report. "They will be very transparent," Finley said.

Since the budget was passed in June, Finley and officials from her department have met with more than 100 groups across the country to gather input.

Key to the consultations was determining Canada's short, medium and long-term labour shortages in order to decide what applications should be given priority, the minister said. The consultations show workers with different skills are needed in different parts of the country and from among those shortages, the government will devise a national priority list.

"In some places they are crying for engineers, in others for chefs and hotel staff. Other places are desperate for [size=10pt][size=10pt]veterinarians[/size][/size]. There's a shortage of skilled tradespeople and also medical professionals," said Finley.

The minister said she has met with a broad range of groups and individuals including the provinces and representatives from business, labour and ethnic groups.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to the occupations under pressure at http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/occunderpres.shtml BC, Alberta and Quebec like you a lot but I am not sure how exactly that helps. If a job is listed under pressure, it is easier to get a work permit but you can not get a work permit as a vet until you are licensed so I don't know. If you speak French, you could apply for QSW (Quebec skilled worker). They have a points system similar to federal skilled worker.

Classic

Aug 1, 2008
Thankyou very much Leon for kind guidance, yes, I have to certify my degree by passing some examination there in canada, and after passing that Exam, again any particular province (in which I am interested) can get some exam to allow practice me as Veterinarian, you are absolutely right.

Many kind regards