+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Very confused about US car title transfer

adeppers

Jun 8, 2016
Hi there, I moved to Canada on a student visa. When crossing the border, I drove a car that was registered to a family member. They told me that in order to import my car, I would need to have the title transferred to my name. I already have the transfer deed filled out and signed by myself and my family member (we tried to transfer the deed while living in the states, but couldn't make it happen before the move).

I have several questions. First of all, can I transfer the title of a US car in Canada at all? Customs directed me to the DMV, the DMV directed me to Auto Plan insurance, Auto Plan wants me to import my car first (although I get the feeling that the young man I spoke to was just confused or misinformed).

Second of all, do I even have to import my car at all if I am living here temporarily? Online it says students do not have to import their cars at all, and I'd definitely rather not because I will only be here until 2018 when I graduate.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help direct me -- I need to cross the border again to pick up a package but I don't know what paperwork to bring, I'm worried they'll confiscate my car, and I feel like I am getting conflicting information from everyone I talk to in-person. If it makes a difference, I am in Vancouver, BC and just switched my driver's license to a BC license. My insurance is in the states.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
you can't transfer a us title to a canadian one unless you go through the import process.

there is an option to temporarily import cars to canada. my recommendation is to call the RIV (the canadian agency responsible for car imports), and talk to an agent there. they are super helpful and knowledgeable. US DMV offices won't know a thing about it. you want to be talking to the Canadian side, not the US side about this. The US side is going to be clueless about Canadian import laws/processes.

i doubt CBSA Will confiscate your car, so i wouldn't worry about that. you can tell them you are a student, are only here temporarily, and ask them how to go about doing a temporary import. they will either refer you to the RIV or try to give you an answer. the biggest issue is if the us insurance company finds out the car is in canada long term - they can decide to cancel the insurance.