+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Verifying some rumours regarding bringing another one's PR card from Canada

alimk

Sep 6, 2014
Hello All,
Me and my wife have left Canada before getting our PR card. Now, our cards are sent to the address that we had specified in the airport. We are going to find someone in order to bring us the PR cards. We have heard that if someone is caught in the airport with another one's card in hand, it may cause some problems for the card holder and even for the carrier. Is this true? Also, regarding posting the cards by mail, we have heard that it is not safe to send PR cards by international posts, because if they somehow know that it is the PR card being sent, there would be also some other problems (I do not actually know what kind of problems!). Are these rumours true?

Warm Regards,

alimk

Sep 6, 2014
Newtone,
Thanks for your reply and sorry for the dictation of the word rumors ;)
Are these just rumors? Is it safe to post PR cards using DHL or TNT? Or having someone bring them for us?

Warm Regards,

davek1979

Sep 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2012
Doc's Request.
16-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-10-2012
Med's Request
16-10-2012
Med's Done....
22-10-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
15-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
Send them DHL it is fine.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
alimk said:
Hello All,
Me and my wife have left Canada before getting our PR card. Now, our cards are sent to the address that we had specified in the airport. We are going to find someone in order to bring us the PR cards. We have heard that if someone is caught in the airport with another one's card in hand, it may cause some problems for the card holder and even for the carrier. Is this true? Also, regarding posting the cards by mail, we have heard that it is not safe to send PR cards by international posts, because if they somehow know that it is the PR card being sent, there would be also some other problems (I do not actually know what kind of problems!). Are these rumours true?

Warm Regards,
How is anyone going to find out they carry your PR cards? I have lots of cards in my wallet, it is no ones business what is in there.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
polara69 said:
How is anyone going to find out they carry your PR cards? I have lots of cards in my wallet, it is no ones business what is in there.
If you are in any airport, especially "airside", you can be stopped and searched for "security" reasons.
However, transportation of a PR card by a third party is not prohibited, as has already been stated. We used FedEx from Canada to the UK. It went via the USA, where Customs opened the package, cleared it and forwarded it on.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Someone must have figured that you had irrational fears and decided to take advantage of it by scaring you with a "rumor" such as this. :)

No worries, PR card (as long as not forged or stolen) does not belong to category of banned to import/export goods, it's just a document. You can have it sent to you by FedEx or have it brought to you by someone you know who has it.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
zardoz said:
If you are in any airport, especially "airside", you can be stopped and searched for "security" reasons.
However, transportation of a PR card by a third party is not prohibited, as has already been stated. We used FedEx from Canada to the UK. It went via the USA, where Customs opened the package, cleared it and forwarded it on.
That friggen 9/11 destroyed the enjoyment of travel forever. I avoid the US by air as much as possible..

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
polara69 said:
That friggen 9/11 destroyed the enjoyment of travel forever. I avoid the US by air as much as possible..
Actually, the easiest flight that I have ever taken was on the morning after 9/11, flying from Heathrow to Dublin. The airport was almost deserted and I didn't have to queue anywhere. The return, a week later, was a very different experience however.

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Contrary to anecdotal evidence, US Customs are easiest to pass, and for two main reasons:
They have higher grade screening technology at the airports. They know what you have or don't have on you as you pass the scanning detectors (same goes for your baggage). It's a higher grade machinery than your typical X ray machines installed at international airports in other countries.
And, intelligence wise, the scope of informaiton is enough for them to act on actionable intelligence rather than just constantly poke the haystack in search of needles.

You will encouter more racial and other profiling at different country airports and you will be frisked more often (in Germany , for instance), than you would be in US. Even Canadian Border Agents are likely to give you a rougher treatment if you fit certain profile and this, I believe, is due to lack of sufficient intelliegence or behind the scenes screening capacity, which gives excuse for more of a profiling and sometimes outright illegal abuse of rights.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
I am white, cannot share any racial issues.. But it is just not the same anymore, one feels guilty even there is no reason for it.. ;D

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am also white, kind of. I have passed US Customs more than once. I have also passed Customs of other countries where I went to. I had the least invasive and friendliest treatment at US Border/Airport.

People tell stories about US after 9/11, but the truth is if you are not doing something wrong it is very unlikely that you will be mistreated by US. Not so when you go to other countries: in many profiling is just a norm.