+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vehicle Registration in Canada (US Citizen w/ Canadian Fiance)

bigz44

Jun 27, 2013
I am currently living in Canada (BC) on a 2 year Work VISA. I drive my vehicle which is registered in Washington State and have Washington plates on my car.

Today my fiance drove my car across the border and was told upon arrival into Canada that because this car is not registered in Canada she is not allowed to drive it and if she, or anyone in that matter, is to be pulled over the car could be deported back into the US. The border guard then stated that the car needs to be registered in Canada.

My question is, do I need to have my car registered in Canada to avoid this issue and have my fiance be able to drive my car? If I get pulled over will they deport my car back to the US also?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

niruban44

Star Member
Jun 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2013
When you bring a vehicle into Canada you will, in most cases have to pay duty and taxes. There will be a way to import and register in Canada. However if you are entering into Canada as a permanent resident, this will be waived off. However you have to go through the process of registering it in Canada unless it is a rented car.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

bigz44 said:
I am currently living in Canada (BC) on a 2 year Work VISA. I drive my vehicle which is registered in Washington State and have Washington plates on my car.

Today my fiance drove my car across the border and was told upon arrival into Canada that because this car is not registered in Canada she is not allowed to drive it and if she, or anyone in that matter, is to be pulled over the car could be deported back into the US. The border guard then stated that the car needs to be registered in Canada.

My question is, do I need to have my car registered in Canada to avoid this issue and have my fiance be able to drive my car? If I get pulled over will they deport my car back to the US also?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
1. You have a work permit, so your vehicle was admitted for the validity of the work permit, it doesn't have to be registered in BC.
2. Your girlfriend or any person resident in Canada, can't drive the vehicle. They catch your girlfriend they don't deport your car, they seize it and you will have large fines to pay to get it back.

From CBSA

Entering Canada to work or study
When entering Canada to work for less than 36 months or to study, you can temporarily import your personal and household goods (such as furniture, tableware, silverware, appliances and motor vehicles) duty-and
tax-free, as long as the following conditions are met:
The goods cannot be used by a resident of Canada;yy
You are not permitted to sell or otherwise dispose of the goods in Canada; andyy
You must take all non-consumable items with you when you leave the country at the end of your yytemporary residence.