Doc's Request.
23-06-2015
IELTS Request
With File
Med's Request
26-06-2015
Med's Done....
6-Jul-2015
I've got a job offer (almost) and I will be settling in Vancouver in November nice to say hi to everyone else over here... PM me so we can catch up in Canada

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
nanni_doc said:
Hey guys,

I am planning to land in Vancouver in less than two weeks, out of the many things troubling me, the proof of funds is the biggest worry. I am planning to carry some of it as cash and some of it as a bank statement from an Indian Bank's branch(the same account was used to provide pof during application filing). Can anybody guide me regarding this? Is an Indian bank's account statement a valid pof a the the time of landing?

I am also aware of Scotiabank, but I dont want to open an account there.
bank statements can never be proof of funds... they will not be accounted. Money is the amount you bringing in (cash/draft/pay order etc).
I prefer TD bank instead Scotia... And I am satisfied with TD bank...

nanni_doc

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
warsawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 December 2014
Doc's Request.
13 May 2015
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
dont know
Med's Request
14 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Third Line Update - 28 May 2015, DM/FLU - 25 June 2015
Passport Req..
7th July 2015; passports submitted: 7July 2015; Passports received back: 16 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26 june 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in November
arman79 said:
bank statements can never be proof of funds... they will not be accounted. Money is the amount you bringing in (cash/draft/pay order etc).
I prefer TD bank instead Scotia... And I am satisfied with TD bank...
Thanks for the response Arman bhai, so are you saying demand draft is an option?

Yes I have heard positive things about TD, so far Scotia is only tempting because of proof of fund thing

Mat14

Star Member
Jun 11, 2014
Hello Guys,,

I'm gonna do my landing next week, I'm concerned about how much money I should declare to the "good to follow" section.

I'm planning to sell property in my country and don't know if it will be sold soon and how much exactly,,

How much I should declare !!

If I didn't mention that and transfered the money in the future,, will be entitled to pay taxes for it

THanks

v_i_r_u_s

May 9, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-05-2014
Nomination.....
11-08-2014
AOR Received.
18-09-2014
File Transfer...
18-09-2014
Med's Request
02-03-2015
Med's Done....
05-03-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
07-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2015
LANDED..........
25-10-2015
Tough question to answer..But I would suggest u to declare a hypothetical amount (probably more than the approximate sell value of the property)..

Mat14 said:
Hello Guys,,

I'm gonna do my landing next week, I'm concerned about how much money I should declare to the "good to follow" section.

I'm planning to sell property in my country and don't know if it will be sold soon and how much exactly,,

How much I should declare !!

If I didn't mention that and transfered the money in the future,, will be entitled to pay taxes for it

THanks

babak_akbarzadeh

Star Member
Dec 27, 2014
Iran
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
10-09-2015
Hello buddies,

I'm currently waiting for PPR and simultaneously planning for landing on late November. I'm not still sure about landing in Toronto or Vancouver. I am a lover of Vancouver but upon consulting with some friends I have been terrified of rents in Vancouver. I am also being told that finding a job in Toronto is much easier than Vancouver.

I am a water engineer and want to establish my job in Vancouver if it's wise in my case. I will be so grateful if you seniors and Vancouver settlers help me. I don't have any close relatives or friends in Toronto or Vancouver.

Thanks in advance,
Babak

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
babak_akbarzadeh said:
Hello buddies,

I'm currently waiting for PPR and simultaneously planning for landing on late November. I'm not still sure about landing in Toronto or Vancouver. I am a lover of Vancouver but upon consulting with some friends I have been terrified of rents in Vancouver. I am also being told that finding a job in Toronto is much easier than Vancouver.

I am a water engineer and want to establish my job in Vancouver if it's wise in my case. I will be so grateful if you seniors and Vancouver settlers help me. I don't have any close relatives or friends in Toronto or Vancouver.

Thanks in advance,
Babak
There is no difference for doing the landing formality in Vancouver or Toronto. What matters is which city you get the job.

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
nanni_doc said:
Thanks for the response Arman bhai, so are you saying demand draft is an option?

Yes I have heard positive things about TD, so far Scotia is only tempting because of proof of fund thing
'Scotia is only tempting because of proof of fund thing" couldn't understand what is temptation ?

I opened account with TD bank on 2nd day of my Landing, and they opened very good account type with NO monthly fee, cash back credit card etc ...check TD bank website, do some research. With TD Bank account, ALL INCLUSIVE BANKING PLAN is worth...(unlimited transactions, no monthly fee and free small safety deposit box-although safety deposit box is quite small ;) For credit cards, there are many types; you should go for the credit card with no annual fee and some incentive. PLEASE DO NOT OPT FOR BANK ACCOUNT PLAN WITH MONTHLY FEE AND CREDIT CARD WITH ANNUAL FEE :) Do some research before you are heading to Bank and insist that you are looking for account type with NO monthly charges and credit card with NO annual fee. By the way Credit card you will receive by post and takes almost 20 days. Before opening your bank account, have your home address with you...

Just be honest at what u bring with yourself, in goods and in cash too...

MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE:-

To tell you personally, when I came for good ( although it was not my first landing), my Goods to follow list was not well prepared and signed, didn't bring draft etc, had way over $10,000 CAD, had 6 cartons of stuff ( I was alone traveler- no family juz me). I had brought many things from UAE which was new...It took around 1.5 hour at Vancouver airport custom check for me, they opened my suitcase, and checked each and everything ...I declared on declaration card about money. It was not my first landing, and after my first landing, I had brought many new things.

They could have asked me to pay taxes according to what I had brought including LED TV (Which I should have not), but believe me NO TAX AT AIRPORT CUSTOM.

Yes, it took quite a while before they opened my suitcase. The only and only thing that saved me from paying an extra (tax) was honesty. This is what CBSA officer told me.. He told me straight away that there are many new things which you are brining in, and NOT declared on your Goods to Follow and your Good to follow list is also not organized and signed/stamp by officer when you previously landed but still we are NOT going to tax you for anything just to let you know that we really appreciate that you have been very honest. And I was.... Out of 6 cartons, they only opened 2, rest he said I know you are honest so I am not opening them , juz tell me what is inside.

He told me many people don't declare esp immigrants with the fear that it will be taxable... which is a misconception ....!

So my advise is BE HONEST......! This will save you from headache, believe me if you are bringing $100,000 CAD, They don't care unless you declare them and have proof of legitimacy... (Salary slips, previous bank statements, car/house sold receipts, money exchange receipts), I brought money and declared and had everything to proof the source of income....

Regarding Goods to follow; Don't forget to get signed/stamp from CBSA officer on the Goods to follow form. If there are many items, organize them on excel sheet with item , description ( color, type, serial no) purchase date , quantity and amount (in CAD). Keep all receipts as much as u can especially jewellery. For Jewellery specify the exact description, carat, color, serial no(if any) and every detail u can, and most imp receipts (showing date of purchase). Anything you brought in before you are landing- there will be no tax. These above instructions were told to me by CBSA.

Procedure of landing is very simple, it is just first landing, new country so this is stressful....but don't confiscate the landing procedure by yourself...

Be Honest.....!

Please do NOT hesitate to ask for any other issue you might want to including banking , Driving license etc, mobile/sim issues (by the way, when you off to ICBC center to open file for driving license, don't forget to get the MSP (Health insurance form) from ICBC ..

Small Advise :- Prepare LIST TO DO IN CANADA , save on mobile; write each details eg : as above mention ICBC driving write MSP(Health insurance form to get), if bank ( write banking plan u want and how much credit card limit and type after your research)

Last but not least, to be honest I don't know about the money which you expected to bring in for your house sold, so cant advise you on that. But your house could be sold after your landing, so you can meet up some lawyer in here ( u can contact me once u land- know someone who can advise u on that ). But before your landing if your house is sold, bring money with you....

Good Luck

dsmalhan

Aug 31, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO --> WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24 Sep 2014
Nomination.....
PER 12 Jan 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2015
IELTS Request
24 Sep 2014 (sent with application)
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
9 May 2015
Med's Done....
16 May 2015
Interview........
TLU - 26 May 2015 ; DM - 31 July 2015
Passport Req..
4 August 2015
VISA ISSUED...
14 August 2015
LANDED..........
February 2016
Thanks Arman for taking out time to share the information. Request you to please guide me on following queries.
- Which areas of Vancouver are safe for a new immigrant?
- Is there a financial hub in Vancouver where most of the corporate offices of companies are situated?
- If I bring a proof of having no insurance being claimed in India in past five years, will it help me in reducing my car insurance amount?
- For how long can I drive on international license in Vancouver?
- Is dental care and ophthalmology costs also covered in health insurance?
- Which is good insurance to cover up the risk during first three months in Canada?

arman79 said:
'Scotia is only tempting because of proof of fund thing" couldn't understand what is temptation ?

I opened account with TD bank on 2nd day of my Landing, and they opened very good account type with NO monthly fee, cash back credit card etc ...check TD bank website, do some research. With TD Bank account, ALL INCLUSIVE BANKING PLAN is worth...(unlimited transactions, no monthly fee and free small safety deposit box-although safety deposit box is quite small ;) For credit cards, there are many types; you should go for the credit card with no annual fee and some incentive. PLEASE DO NOT OPT FOR BANK ACCOUNT PLAN WITH MONTHLY FEE AND CREDIT CARD WITH ANNUAL FEE :) Do some research before you are heading to Bank and insist that you are looking for account type with NO monthly charges and credit card with NO annual fee. By the way Credit card you will receive by post and takes almost 20 days. Before opening your bank account, have your home address with you...

To tell you personally, when I came for good ( although it was not my first landing), my Goods to follow list was not well prepared and signed, didn't bring draft etc, had way over $10,000 CAD, had 6 cartons of stuff ( I was alone traveler- no family juz me). I had brought many things from UAE which was new...It took around 1.5 hour at Vancouver airport custom check for me, they opened my suitcase, and checked each and everything ...I declared on declaration card about money. It was not my first landing, and after my first landing, I had brought many new things.

They could have asked me to pay taxes according to what I had brought including LED TV (Which I should have not), but believe me NO TAX AT AIRPORT CUSTOM.

Yes, it took quite a while before they opened my suitcase. The only and only thing that saved me from paying an extra (tax) was honesty. This is what CBSA officer told me.. He told me straight away that there are many new things which you are brining in, and NOT declared on your Goods to Follow and your Good to follow list is also not organized and signed/stamp by officer when you previously landed but still we are NOT going to tax you for anything just to let you know that we really appreciate that you have been very honest. And I was.... Out of 6 cartons, they only opened 2, rest he said I know you are honest so I am not opening them , juz tell me what is inside.

He told me many people don't declare esp immigrants with the fear that it will be taxable... which is a misconception ....!

So my advise is BE HONEST......! This will save you from headache, believe me if you are bringing $100,000 CAD, They don't care unless you declare them and have proof of legitimacy... (Salary slips, previous bank statements, car/house sold receipts, money exchange receipts), I brought money and declared and had everything to proof the source of income....

Regarding Goods to follow; Don't forget to get signed/stamp from CBSA officer on the Goods to follow form. If there are many items, organize them on excel sheet with item , description ( color, type, serial no) purchase date , quantity and amount (in CAD). Keep all receipts as much as u can especially jewellery. For Jewellery specify the exact description, carat, color, serial no(if any) and every detail u can, and most imp receipts (showing date of purchase). Anything you brought in before you are landing- there will be no tax. These above instructions were told to me by CBSA.

Procedure of landing is very simple, it is just first landing, new country so this is stressful....but don't confiscate the landing procedure by yourself...

Be Honest.....!

Please do NOT hesitate to ask for any other issue you might want to including banking , Driving license etc, mobile/sim issues (by the way, when you off to ICBC center to open file for driving license, don't forget to get the MSP (Health insurance form) from ICBC ..

Small Advise :- Prepare LIST TO DO IN CANADA , save on mobile; write each details eg : as above mention ICBC driving write MSP(Health insurance form to get), if bank ( write banking plan u want and how much credit card limit and type after your research)

Last but not least, to be honest I don't know about the money which you expected to bring in for your house sold, so cant advise you on that. But your house could be sold after your landing, so you can meet up some lawyer in here ( u can contact me once u land- know someone who can advise u on that ). But before your landing if your house is sold, bring money with you....

Good Luck

nanni_doc

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
warsawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 December 2014
Doc's Request.
13 May 2015
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
dont know
Med's Request
14 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Third Line Update - 28 May 2015, DM/FLU - 25 June 2015
Passport Req..
7th July 2015; passports submitted: 7July 2015; Passports received back: 16 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26 june 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in November
arman79 said:

Be Honest.....!

Good Luck
Again huge thanks for a detailed reply. The temptation for Scotia bank was that its the only bank you can open an account before landing in Canada.

But after some research and discussion with friends and family, we have chosen for demand draft as pof. I have also heard from various sources that TD is the best option, so cheers for that.

I have some more questions for you,

1) Since we are only two applicants and both are landing at the same time, we are bringing $15k funds, do we need to declare it on landing form?(I am asking this because I am under the impression that we have to declare funds over $10k for each person and since we are two, its 7.5k for both of us)
2) My wife is not a big fan of gold jewelry and whatever she will be bringing, we are going to take pictures of that. My question is do we need to take pictures of artificial jewelry as well?

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
dsmalhan said:
Thanks Arman for taking out time to share the information. Request you to please guide me on following queries.
- Is there a financial hub in Vancouver where most of the corporate offices of companies are situated?
- If I bring a proof of having no insurance being claimed in India in past five years, will it help me in reducing my car insurance amount?
- For how long can I drive on international license in Vancouver?
- Is dental care and ophthalmology costs also covered in health insurance?
- Which is good insurance to cover up the risk during first three months in Canada?
1) Most of corporate offices are located in Vancouver downtown and Richmond..
2) You may be eligible for car insurance 5-10% discount, if you bring original proof of previous auto insurance with no claims.
3) you can drive 3 months on International driving license but still I will suggest you to open your file at ICBC for driving license as soon as you arrive (within 1-2 weeks of landing)
4) Dental care and optometry is unfortunately not covered by Govt health insurance (MSP), But once you get job, most of employers offer extended medical and dental care benefits for health insurance
5) There are many insurance companies offering health insurance (emergency cover only) for visitors/new immigrants awaiting MSP coverage to kick in. Check tugo.com

Good Luck

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
nanni_doc said:
Again huge thanks for a detailed reply. The temptation for Scotia bank was that its the only bank you can open an account before landing in Canada.

But after some research and discussion with friends and family, we have chosen for demand draft as pof. I have also heard from various sources that TD is the best option, so cheers for that.

I have some more questions for you,

1) Since we are only two applicants and both are landing at the same time, we are bringing $15k funds, do we need to declare it on landing form?(I am asking this because I am under the impression that we have to declare funds over $10k for each person and since we are two, its 7.5k for both of us)
2) My wife is not a big fan of gold jewelry and whatever she will be bringing, we are going to take pictures of that. My question is do we need to take pictures of artificial jewelry as well?
1) You have to declared $15,000 CAD on declaration card.
2) Yes, take pics of all jwellery with receipts, details and description as earlier I have mentioned. For artificial jwelery (im not sure) but it is better to take pics and add them on your list.

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
dsmalhan said:
Most of new immigrants (Asians) live in Surrey, BC as it is cheaper/reasonable compare to rest of the part. In Surrey, check for cloverdale area- it is comparably new and safe and clean.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arman79 said:
Most of new immigrants (Asians) live in Surrey, BC as it is cheaper/reasonable compare to rest of the part. In Surrey, check for cloverdale area- it is comparably new and safe and clean.
I'm not sure about this. Look at the below article about a Cloverdale resident being killed after defending his home against an intruder:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/surrey-man-murdered-defending-home-against-intruder-1.2466396

arman79

Oct 30, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
February 2015
steaky said:
I'm not sure about this. Look at the below article about a Cloverdale resident being killed after defending his home against an intruder:

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/surrey-man-murdered-defending-home-against-intruder-1.2466396
Yea I know about this incident, but overall Cloverdale is safer compare to surrey center, Newton, Guilford etc... But one should not judge with one or two incidents. My idea was about overall security comparison, not based on individual or few incidents. If you are more curious, then you can also find list of incidents happened recently and in past in surrey center/Newton/vancouver areas... Anyways, there is no guarantee of peace anywhere in today's world. We can only compare. Besides surrey, Burnaby, West Minister, Langley, Richmond are also good places but there has been on & off few crime incidents. I identified Surrey because it is cheaper compare to rest.
rest is individual choice...