+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valuable tips to pass IELTS with flying colors

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Hello friends,

Greetings of the day to all!

IELTS is one of the most useful step-stones on the way of success towards immigrating to a new country. So, I'd like to give some words of advice to you people who are on their way to take IELTS.

A major number of candidates face difficulties scoring high in W & S, therefore I'll start with this. . .

WRITING:

Task 2:

- Study carefully all the required criteria a/c to which they evaluate your writing skills,
e.g.
vocabulary (learn as many words, phrases as you can; learn how to paraphrase words effectively),
task response (just answer what they specifically asked for, stick to one point at a time),
lexical resource (grammar, tenses, write as many complex sentences as u can)
and lastly,
task achievement (identify the question type; comparative, adv/disadv, opinion, etc and answer a/c to this only)

- Write in a proper structured format:
Total 5 paragraphs: 1 background/intro; 2 - 3 body paragraphs; 1 conclusion

- Stick to the word limit: Do NOT ever write <250 words, otherwise you would be fined heavily :eek:
Try to write about 260 - 270 words

Task 1:

- Identify the type of letter (formal/informal/semi-formal)

- Address the person accordingly (dear John if informal, dear sir/madam if formal or dear Mr Sharma if semi-formal)

- Make sure that you write about all the prompts which you are given in the question. Write one paragraph for each of the prompt separately

- Write appropriate ending sentence

SPEAKING:

Part 1:

- Learn about the common topics on which they ask in part 1 (e.g. visitors, schools, hobbies, home, etc.)

- Try to remember new and uncommon words for each of the topics separately. Just write down different words in your notes about each topics. Refer this notes everyday.

- Remember, always try to speak a bit more about what the examiner asks, e.g. If he asks about your hobbies, speak a bit more about when you started to pursue those hobbies. Speak until the examiner stops you! It's perfectly fine if the examiner stops between your talk, in fact, it shows that you have nice fluency! :)

Part 2:

- Learn about as many cue cards as u can. I had prepared 70 cue cards.

- I suggest stick to the prompts they give you in the question. try to answer a/c to these prompts. Allot around 30 seconds only to each prompt. You will be given total 4 prompts in your question, so 30 seconds each would easily take you to 2 minutes at the end!

- Make sure you cover all the prompts in 2 minutes. When you practise at home, you should keep a timer in front of you and speak it loudly, better if you speak in front of someone who is also practising for ielts. This way to familiarise yourself with speaking in front of someone. It builds up your confidence to speak.

- Don't try to add too much details about one prompt in your cue cards.
E.g.
If you are asked about your favorite movie, then you should focus on such things as with whom you saw it, when/where you saw it, what was the memorable thing that makes to remember watching that movie, and why you particularly like that movie. And finally, if time permits, just allow only 30 seconds to narrate the storyline of movie. That way you add some extra information not only about the movie, but also the related circumstances. And also your chances of higher and different vocabulary are higher that way.

- Fluency only means you should speak without much hesitation. It has nothing to do with the SPEED of speaking. So, try to speak at medium pace, not too fast, nor too slow. It makes no sense if you speak too fast but intermittently with a lot of pauses. I hope u got it.

LISTENING:

- Practise as many tests as you can.

- Try to score at least 37 - 38 in your practise tests.

- Most importantly, solve the wrong answers you have done. Listen the recording again, this time with more concentration, and check where you did it wrong. It makes no sense if you practise a thousand tests, but do not solve where you have done wrong.

- Don't forget to practise Cambridge official tests for GT ielts.

- Practise just like you are actually taking the test! Follow strict timelines and never allow yourself taking some extra time to finish the test.

- Of course, mark your answers like a strict examiner! :)

READING:

- Again, the same way as listening.

So.... I hope I've covered all the aspects of practising ielts most effectively!

Now, let me introduce you to the most useful websites that I find the best ever. I passed my ielts with flying colors with the help of these websites only.

www.ieltsmaterials.com

www.writetotop.com

www.ieltsliz.com

They have very very informative videos on YouTube also about how to crack ielts effectively. I highly recommend you see those videos BEFORE starting to practise your tests. First watch those videos, and then only start tests. It will definitely change your way of understanding the format & criteria how ielts is evaluated!

Finally, the most effective way to crack ielts is PRACTISE, PRACTISE, PRACTISE!!!

Hope it helped you!

All the very best to all the friends who are taking IELTS! May you succeed with flying colors!

Regards...

+1 / [GOOD] will be highly appreciated to encourage the writer! 8)

rthoguluva

Jul 16, 2015
jpv2212 said:
Hello friends,

Greetings of the day to all!

IELTS is one of the most useful step-stones on the way of success towards immigrating to a new country. So, I'd like to give some words of advice to you people who are on their way to take IELTS.

A major number of candidates face difficulties scoring high in W & S, therefore I'll start with this. . .

WRITING:

Task 2:

- Study carefully all the required criteria a/c to which they evaluate your writing skills,
e.g.
vocabulary (learn as many words, phrases as you can; learn how to paraphrase words effectively),
task response (just answer what they specifically asked for, stick to one point at a time),
lexical resource (grammar, tenses, write as many complex sentences as u can)
and lastly,
task achievement (identify the question type; comparative, adv/disadv, opinion, etc and answer a/c to this only)

- Write in a proper structured format:
Total 5 paragraphs: 1 background/intro; 2 - 3 body paragraphs; 1 conclusion

- Stick to the word limit: Do NOT ever write <250 words, otherwise you would be fined heavily :eek:
Try to write about 260 - 270 words

Task 1:

- Identify the type of letter (formal/informal/semi-formal)

- Address the person accordingly (dear John if informal, dear sir/madam if formal or dear Mr Sharma if semi-formal)

- Make sure that you write about all the prompts which you are given in the question. Write one paragraph for each of the prompt separately

- Write appropriate ending sentence

SPEAKING:

Part 1:

- Learn about the common topics on which they ask in part 1 (e.g. visitors, schools, hobbies, home, etc.)

- Try to remember new and uncommon words for each of the topics separately. Just write down different words in your notes about each topics. Refer this notes everyday.

- Remember, always try to speak a bit more about what the examiner asks, e.g. If he asks about your hobbies, speak a bit more about when you started to pursue those hobbies. Speak until the examiner stops you! It's perfectly fine if the examiner stops between your talk, in fact, it shows that you have nice fluency! :)

Part 2:

- Learn about as many cue cards as u can. I had prepared 70 cue cards.

- I suggest stick to the prompts they give you in the question. try to answer a/c to these prompts. Allot around 30 seconds only to each prompt. You will be given total 4 prompts in your question, so 30 seconds each would easily take you to 2 minutes at the end!

- Make sure you cover all the prompts in 2 minutes. When you practise at home, you should keep a timer in front of you and speak it loudly, better if you speak in front of someone who is also practising for ielts. This way to familiarise yourself with speaking in front of someone. It builds up your confidence to speak.

- Don't try to add too much details about one prompt in your cue cards.
E.g.
If you are asked about your favorite movie, then you should focus on such things as with whom you saw it, when/where you saw it, what was the memorable thing that makes to remember watching that movie, and why you particularly like that movie. And finally, if time permits, just allow only 30 seconds to narrate the storyline of movie. That way you add some extra information not only about the movie, but also the related circumstances. And also your chances of higher and different vocabulary are higher that way.

- Fluency only means you should speak without much hesitation. It has nothing to do with the SPEED of speaking. So, try to speak at medium pace, not too fast, nor too slow. It makes no sense if you speak too fast but intermittently with a lot of pauses. I hope u got it.

LISTENING:

- Practise as many tests as you can.

- Try to score at least 37 - 38 in your practise tests.

- Most importantly, solve the wrong answers you have done. Listen the recording again, this time with more concentration, and check where you did it wrong. It makes no sense if you practise a thousand tests, but do not solve where you have done wrong.

- Don't forget to practise Cambridge official tests for GT ielts.

- Practise just like you are actually taking the test! Follow strict timelines and never allow yourself taking some extra time to finish the test.

- Of course, mark your answers like a strict examiner! :)

READING:

- Again, the same way as listening.

So.... I hope I've covered all the aspects of practising ielts most effectively!

Now, let me introduce you to the most useful websites that I find the best ever. I passed my ielts with flying colors with the help of these websites only.

www.ieltsmaterials.com

www.writetotop.com

www.ieltsliz.com

They have very very informative videos on YouTube also about how to crack ielts effectively. I highly recommend you see those videos BEFORE starting to practise your tests. First watch those videos, and then only start tests. It will definitely change your way of understanding the format & criteria how ielts is evaluated!

Finally, the most effective way to crack ielts is PRACTISE, PRACTISE, PRACTISE!!!

Hope it helped you!

All the very best to all the friends who are taking IELTS! May you succeed with flying colors!

Regards...

+1 / [GOOD] will be highly appreciated to encourage the writer! 8)
Well Said! JPV 2212 8) . I'd secured 5.5 in IELTS last time and went to exam with over confident. Now I am looking for advise for IELTS preparation and got this detail oriented message. Many Thanks for that.. I've started to learn from Grammer, Vocabulary etc now. Also, I am making note of vocabulary (i.e., I read from newspaper, Novels if I get time daily ) and revising the noted words daily. I feel it is time consuming with lots of pain to manage office work and my scheduled IELTS work. Still I've to do this in order to increase my English skills.

Meanwhile, Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 168 hours. 8) ;D when i hit Good button. I need to try after 168 hours :D

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
rthoguluva said:
Well Said! JPV 2212 8) . I'd secured 5.5 in IELTS last time and went to exam with over confident. Now I am looking for advise for IELTS preparation and got this detail oriented message. Many Thanks for that.. I've started to learn from Grammer, Vocabulary etc now. Also, I am making note of vocabulary (i.e., I read from newspaper, Novels if I get time daily ) and revising vocabulary it daily. I feel it is time consuming with lots of pain to manage office work and my scheduled IELTS work. Still I've to do this in order to increase my English skills.

Meanwhile, Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 168 hours. 8) ;D when i hit Good button. I need to try after 168 hours :D
Thanks for trying to give a hit, friend! :)

I'm happy that I was helpful to someone in need.

All the best for your preparation.

syconetgeek

Mar 30, 2015
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
NO
AOR Received.
03-10-2018
VISA ISSUED...
18-05-2019
Thanks for sharing your experience and tips. +1 for you.

Sree1982

May 1, 2017
Great tips mate!! Btw i m writing in june 3rd!!i m new to this forum n really want to give +1 for ur effort!!But don know how it is done!!

jpv2212

Jan 30, 2015
Category........
FSW
Sree1982 said:
Great tips mate!! Btw i m writing in june 3rd!!i m new to this forum n really want to give +1 for ur effort!!But don know how it is done!!
Thanks Sree. I'm glad my tips are useful to you.

To give +1, please click the [GOOD] button just below my username JPV2212 on the left side of your page.

Thanks..

RH_Canada

Star Member
Jan 1, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I am writing my test on 3rd May. Is one week enough to score 7 or more? I have already done soem practice and I have been scoring excellent in listing and speaking, but not really good in reading around (6.5).

Thanks.