+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Validation of Confirmation of Permanent Residence at a CBSA Office??

meganpeter

Jun 21, 2013
So I tried to apply for a BC drivers license and I could not use my Confirmation of Permanent Resident document because it has a "valid until" date of my old expired passport on the top. The BC drivers license office refused to accept it as a valid/unexpired document because of that date, but I was still able to get a 3 months temporary license. My PR card is expired and I cannot apply for a new one bc I do not meet the residency obligations. I have the PRTD.

I am now considering possibly going to a CBSA office in BC to validate the Confirmation of Permanent Resident, but I do not know what it entails. Will they stamp the document and prove that it is valid? What exactly is the validation process? Can they give me another Confirmation of Permanent Resident document there?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think you are referring to a verification of status document. This is usually issued to replace a lost COPR or IMM1000. Its a 1 page paper sheet containing the historic info on your landing documents. It is not a proof of status nor is it valid for travel. Until someone takes the BC Government to court for this on the basis that its ultra vires (above the law) in respect of the IRPA (which doesn't mandate PR Card as proof of status inside Canada) you have no option but to live with this situation. No endorsements are made on any landing documents by CIC other than at oath when they get annotated with the fact that you are now a Canadian Citizen.