+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Valid multiple visa in old passport. Can I enter Canada?

mo82

Star Member
Nov 23, 2014
Hi,
See, when a passport is expired and we apply for renewal, the expired passport is stamped with " Renewed with new booklet and at times the 1st and last page are stamped with " Cancelled"
Whereas in case where your passport is expired but having a valid visa its not termed as cancelled, its stamped with " Issued with a new booklet", the difference in both cases is, if a passport is stamped cancelled, any visa inside valid or expired by default gets cancelled (this is International Law), if a passport is stamped with "Issued with a new booklet" your passport is renewed and default any valid visa within are eligible to be carried forward by the respective country Consulate, Embassy etc.

It is always advised to get it transferred over the new passport to avoid any immigration chaos.
Now a days specially in India, renewed passport regardless of having a valid visa or no are being issued with a new booklet with no stamp on it, No stamp on the expired passport is understood/default that its not cancelled but instead issued with a new, renewed booklet.

I have personal experience of the above said, as I have valid Australian visitor visa on my expired passport, and its just stamped with "Issued with a new booklet" and I have made 3 trips after that, The only important thing you have to do is, carry both of them. You will be advised the immigration officer to pay a nominal fee and get it re printed on your new passport, which is totally up to you.

I haven't got it done till now, Ya i do carry my both passport when ever I make a trip to Australia, all the trips they advise me to get it reprint, I say OK, Just lazy to take that procedure :p.

I have later researched, in fact upon returning to India asked the immigration lady, what if I don't. The answer was " Unless your booklet is stamped cancelled, all your visa within the expired passport remains valid, how ever you are must required to carry both passport sir".

san66471

Aug 5, 2014
Forgot to add USA visa refusal Details in application form

Please help for this I had applied for Canada Tourist Visa Last year in July and i went there and come back in 2 months . I had saved application form for last year in my drive .. This year again applied for the same i had changed the date and information which was necessary but i forgot to add the details for usa visa application where i got refusal in application form. I had not done this intentionally since i forget that last year when applied i before i never applied for usa visa and this time when i applied for usa visa i didnt change the form Since i was under impression that the details are same nothing is change but i didnt see the form and didnt fill the usa refusal detail. Now the Embassy is asking by sent a letter why i hide the information regarding usa visa refusal.

Since it is not like that i hide the information but forgot to fill or i didnt read the form i only changed the date s and information related to the tour

They asked me to give answer with in 30 days . Please help me to inform what should i do in this case.

umer@dxb

Jun 23, 2016
Can any one tell . . Do I also need to submit my old/cancelled passport with my visa application . . The old/cancelled passport which is never used . ????

simplyaddo

Jun 18, 2012
umer@dxb said:
Can any one tell . . Do I also need to submit my old/cancelled passport with my visa application . . The old/cancelled passport which is never used . ????
Unless it is specifically asked for, you do not need to submit your cancelled passport. You may include scanned copies of entry/exit stamps and/or visa stickers from the old passport as part of your application's travel history portion.

ecpradeep1

Star Member
Apr 7, 2016
Dear All,

I recently received ITA and currently working on the documents preparation and i should complete it by 2 week of december (60 days)

I have a passport which is expiring on 30 August 2017.(still have 10 months validity)

what would you suggest?

1. Renew the passport right now (takes 2 to 3 week Approx) and update the new passport number and submit the supporting documents?

or

2. Can i go a head and use the existing passport and submit the documents and later i renew the passport?\\

Can i update the passport details in the profile even after i submit the documents?

Please suggest

This forum has been a valuable resource for many ppl like me

Thanks in Advance.

sakthiece

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
When i Inquired to Canada High Commission at India, they sent a mail as below:

"If you have a valid visa for Canada in your old passport, and you have been issued a new passport, you may need to apply to have your visa transferred into your new passport.

If your old passport has not been cancelled by the passport issuing authority, you may continue to use the visa in it, but you will need to carry both your old and new passport when you travel to Canada.

If your old passport has been cancelled (is no longer valid for international travel) then you will need to pay a fee to have your visa for Canada transferred into your new passport.

My question: Since my old passport is cancelled, do i need to transfer my Visa to new passport?

huynhlam2405

Jun 1, 2019
Dear All:

I have just received my renew work permit, my visitor visa is still valid. Can I use this visitor visa to re-enter to Canada whenever I am out of Canada? Or I have to apply for my working visa? Please advise, thank you!

sanyinmon

Star Member
Oct 30, 2016
When i Inquired to Canada High Commission at India, they sent a mail as below:

"If you have a valid visa for Canada in your old passport, and you have been issued a new passport, you may need to apply to have your visa transferred into your new passport.

If your old passport has not been cancelled by the passport issuing authority, you may continue to use the visa in it, but you will need to carry both your old and new passport when you travel to Canada.

If your old passport has been cancelled (is no longer valid for international travel) then you will need to pay a fee to have your visa for Canada transferred into your new passport.

My question: Since my old passport is cancelled, do i need to transfer my Visa to new passport?
Hi,sakthiece,
I have bought air ticket but I have not applied to transfer my visa into new passport. As VFS in Myanmar is still closed and there is travel restriction due to political crisis and Covid 19 issue, I have no chance to apply for it. My authorization letter is approved to travel with my old passport. Can I jz show my both passports at the airport ? Is there any problem?
Plz advise. Thanks