+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Vacation once I receive my PR card (OHIP eligibility)

undisclosed

Mar 2, 2020
Hi all,

I have received my COPR and will be landing in Ontario this October. Me and my Canadian common-law partner are planning to go on vacation (outside of Canada) once I receive my PR card (which as I understand is approx. 45 days after landing).

We would really like to make the best use of the situation and travel outside of Ontario, since we will both be unemployed at the time and still looking for jobs.

However I understand that to be eligible for OHIP, the following clause is applicable:

"be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province".

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? We plan to travel for approx. 2 months once I obtain PR card and then begin working in Ontario.

Are we able to apply for OHIP later on, and our eligiblity for OHIP would apply once we arrive back from vacation? And have private health insurance coverage in the meantime until OHIP is valid.

Apart from OHIP, is there anything else I might be missing which could restrict me from long travel?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: