+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

using USA employment offer for urgent processing

chibiks

Apr 12, 2010
Please explain. my understanding is if you applied before March 2015, then no, it wont count against you; but if you applied after March 2015, then applying for work in America can be used against you. Right?

I guess there is a risk that the officer wont remember this distinction and then deny me?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
chibiks said:
Please explain. my understanding is if you applied before March 2015, then no, it wont count against you; but if you applied after March 2015, then applying for work in America can be used against you. Right?

I guess there is a risk that the officer wont remember this distinction and then deny me?
Don't know where you got March 2015 date. If you are referring to the new citizenship "intend to reside in Canada" clause, that went into effect June 12, 2015.

You can ask for urgency on your citizenship process but it must be for very good reasons. For example, a job requirement that an employee must hold Canadian citizenship in Canada for a Canadian company in a high security position. But to say you want Canadian citizenship so you can get the US job through NATFA, then CIC won't accept that excuse. Why would they want to hurry up with your citizenship just so you can get a job in US.

hgn

Feb 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chibiks said:

you are applying for urgent processing....applying means, you can get approved or rejected. So yes, you can get rejected, as well as other types of applications.

Do you fit somewhere near the following examples as shown in the CIC website:

Examples of when we may process an application for citizenship urgently:

You can't apply for a job or could lose your job because you are not a Canadian citizen. (Note: I guess your job in the US DOES NOT require you to be a Canadian citizen?)
You cannot go to a Canadian school, college or university because you are not a Canadian citizen.
You need to travel because of death or serious illness in the family and cannot get a passport in your current nationality.
You received a decision on a previous application for citizenship that you successfully appealed to the Federal Court.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
From chibiks:

. . . using USA employment offer for urgent processing . . . can CIC deny me citizenship for this?

my understanding is if you applied before March 2015, then no, it wont count against you; but if you applied after March 2015, then applying for work in America can be used against you. Right?

There will be no urgent processing based on a U.S. job offer. That should be obvious.

For an applicant who made a pre-June-11-2015 application, leaving Canada or planning to leave Canada while the application is pending does not disqualify the applicant for citizenship.

Applicant must continue to meet the PR Residency Obligation however.

That said, if CIC is aware the applicant has moved abroad or is spending a lot of time abroad, it appears that CIC will elevate the nature and extent of scrutiny, be more likely to impose RQ, and otherwise make inquiries that can delay processing. That is, CIC could dig deeper and look more closely for reasons to reject the application, and in the past has appeared to sometimes delay processing of such applicants for very long periods of time (some for years). See topics discussing leaving Canada after applying.

If CIC is aware of the applicant's plan to leave Canada soon, I am not sure that would have the same effect. Perhaps. There should be no question which would require an applicant (still talking about a pre-June application) to divulge such plans and it would be foolish to voluntarily inform CIC of this intent or such plans.

I am confident that CIC personnel handling citizenship applications, including interviewers and officers, will be fully cognizant of and applying the rules consistent with those applicable to the application, that is that CIC will not mix up rules which should only apply to post-June-11 applications.

All that said, no advanced degrees in engineering necessary to recognize that if CIC is aware the pre-June applicant plans to be moving abroad, taking a job abroad, that is likely to trigger elevated scrutiny and perhaps even a concerted investigation aimed at finding a reason to reject.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
dpenabill said:
That said, if CIC is aware the applicant has moved abroad or is spending a lot of time abroad, it appears that CIC will elevate the nature and extent of scrutiny, be more likely to impose RQ, and otherwise make inquiries that can delay processing. That is, CIC could dig deeper and look more closely for reasons to reject the application, and in the past has appeared to sometimes delay processing of such applicants for very long periods of time (some for years). See topics discussing leaving Canada after applying.
Agreed. It is no secret that CIC is more likely to issue RQs to people they suspect are looking to move the USA.

It's why well known past potential RQ triggers (some more than others) are:
-Currently working in the USA with an H1B (or equivalent)
-Providing a USA address as the current home address
-Past work experience in the USA
-Past home address in the USA
-Constant travel to the USA

Of course the above applies to non-US citizens.

Telling CIC that you want urgent processing so you can move to the USA sooner for work is basically begging for an RQ. Not only that, but CIC (and Canadians in general) really dislikes the perceived "using Canada as a stepping stone to the USA" thing. It's really the main reason why C-24 has the "Intent to Reside Clause" in there, to make a statement for cases such as these. They will nit-pick your application, basically looking for an excuse to delay you.