+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using Land Border or Airport when returning to Canada without meeting RO

Maaz Arif

May 18, 2018
What is recommended- should i enter through US border or any airport when returning to Canada without meeting RO ? And which airport is recommended ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Frankly hard to say, and I wouldn't make plans solely on that basis.

This is assuming you have a valid pr card.That said, there are possibly some indications that many pr card holders are waved through at the larger airports after doing the automated kiosk thing. That is, you get the slip from the machine and hand it to an officer who doesn't do more than glance at the paper and the other docs. (I presume of course the machine can give you a slip for more scrutiny if you're flagged in the system for whatever reason, so it's hardly magic)

This seems to have been more common after the period (short - last year, or 2022?) where delays at passport control got very bad (and were fixed).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What is recommended- should i enter through US border or any airport when returning to Canada without meeting RO ? And which airport is recommended ?
Whether you get reported in either location also has a lot to do with how many days you have spent in Canada and when PR card expires. If you are close to meeting RO the risk in either location is much lower. In the end it often comes down to luck and actual proof of H&C reasons if you have not met RO.

aviseqdas

Jan 8, 2018
Same boat got my PR in June 2019 and before I could move to Canada I got into a court case in US in Aug 2019 and then covid hit and courts were backlogged. In Oct 2022 finally got a deferred adjudication and finally in March the case was dismissed. Got a legal opinion letter prepared by a Canadian immigration attorney and he said I should be good to enter Canada as the case was dismissed. Now I planning to land in Toronto couple of weeks before the expiry of my PR card, what are my chances of being able to stay and complete my RO. I don't intend to leave Canada for 730 days until I meet my RO. My dad is 80 and I have a sibling who takes care of him but in the event of any emergency for his health what are the chances of getting a PRTD approved?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Same boat got my PR in June 2019 and before I could move to Canada I got into a court case in US in Aug 2019 and then covid hit and courts were backlogged. In Oct 2022 finally got a deferred adjudication and finally in March the case was dismissed. Got a legal opinion letter prepared by a Canadian immigration attorney and he said I should be good to enter Canada as the case was dismissed. Now I planning to land in Toronto couple of weeks before the expiry of my PR card, what are my chances of being able to stay and complete my RO. I don't intend to leave Canada for 730 days until I meet my RO. My dad is 80 and I have a sibling who takes care of him but in the event of any emergency for his health what are the chances of getting a PRTD approved?

Anyone telling you would be a guess

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Of course go major airport and go through automated kiosk. Don't take risk being asked anything at a land port. I don't mean kiosk is for sure to be safe, someone said there's some mark for people who are screened out. My experience is OK. I passed without issue at YVR however I was only several days short and many in and out records ( at least once per year). I don't think the machine is that smart to calculate; the easiest way it works is set to flag for those being out of Canada for a considerable long time, say 2.5 years. I just guess.

Last edited: