+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Using foreign PhD as work experience

thementor

Star Member
Jan 30, 2020
I used my Masters and PhD as proof of NOC 4012 (research assistant), getting 5 years of half-time experience on top of my 7y as a Clinical Psychologist. Bellow the letter I asked the Head of Department (my former advisor) to sign for me. No questions or further information was requested.

[university official sheet with symbols/logo]

City, date, year..​

To whom it may concern,
I hereby certify that Dr. A M has worked as a Graduate Researcher under my supervision in the Laboratory of ... at the Department of ... of University of ... from August 2012 to August 2014 with a salary of $$$/month and from to August 2014 to July 2017 with a salary of $$$/month, 20 hours/week. During this period, he developed activities of research in the field of Psychophysics and Psychology planning and conducting projects with other assistants, organizing materials for data collection, data analysis, laboratory routine, conducting seminars e discussions in the Laboratory meetings, writing and publishing papers, presenting academic work in conferences nationally and internationally.

[signature]
[stamp]
Hi /u/ama2020. Congratulations on your success in migrating to Canada. I hope your experience in Canada has been great. And thanks a lot for posting the sample reference letter for RA position. I am in the same position as you were. I worked as a Psychologist in my home country. However, I am not able to find any sample reference letters for "Psychologists" anywhere on the Internet, including CanadaVisa. I wanted to send you a message here but CanadaVisa is giving me the error message "This member limits who may view their full profile." I need a sample to only understand how to use the duties; I won't be using it verbatim.

By any chance, would it be possible for you to provide me a sample of the reference letter for Psychologist, or a redacted version of your reference letter? You could email me at mahussain6035@gmail.com, or simply post here or DM me. Thank you so much!

BenazirK

May 28, 2024
Hello,

I am a PhD holder from France and I want to apply for Canada PR. I had my PhD degree verified from WES. I read in the previous threads that I can claim the CRS points of both educational activity and foreign work experience from PhD experience. I have employer reference letter according to Canada's template which states: "I undersigned,-------------, Head of Human Resources at ----------, certifies that Mrs _______ was employed in our company as a PhD student from ____ to ____ as a full time work." Also, it was listed my annual gross salaries along with the duties (like conduct research, manuscript writing, experiments and data analysis) in the letter. So, my question is:
Is it okay to be written as PhD student in employment reference letter? Or should I ask my employer to amend the letter and to write Research Assistant? Actually, in my PhD contract it was written I am being employed as Doctorante, that translates to PhD student.

Last edited: