+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Use Returning Resident Permit to stay outside Cda

anandheeraman

Apr 8, 2009
Good day all,

I have been exploring all ways to retain my residency and I hope that someone may be able to advise.

Being absent while in the possession of a valid Returning Resident Permit seems to be the only viable option if I stay beyond the 1095 days outside of Canada. Right now I can maintain it, but given the economic situation in Canada and rest of the world I will prefer to work here. There are no jobs that can provide me with a similar salary package as well as my children are well into their schooling. Are these good grounds for applying for a Returning Resident Permit if I stay beyond the 1095 days? I believe that these days count towards your residency obligation when you fill out the form at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5444E.pdf.

I look forward to some discussion.

Thanks
Anand.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

anandheeraman said:
Good day all,

I have been exploring all ways to retain my residency and I hope that someone may be able to advise.

Being absent while in the possession of a valid Returning Resident Permit seems to be the only viable option if I stay beyond the 1095 days outside of Canada. Right now I can maintain it, but given the economic situation in Canada and rest of the world I will prefer to work here. There are no jobs that can provide me with a similar salary package as well as my children are well into their schooling. Are these good grounds for applying for a Returning Resident Permit if I stay beyond the 1095 days? I believe that these days count towards your residency obligation when you fill out the form at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5444E.pdf.

I look forward to some discussion.

Thanks
Anand.
Not much of a discussion, a returning resident permit has not existed since June/02. So you either spend 2 year in every 5 in Canada or you lose your status.

PMM

anandheeraman

Apr 8, 2009
How come is it included as one of the 4 options? If it's not relevant today then it should have been taken out of the form completely or deleted as one of the options in maintaining residency obligations.

If it's outdated then the CIC should update their information because it provides incorrect information.

Thanks anyway.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

anandheeraman said:
How come is it included as one of the 4 options? If it's not relevant today then it should have been taken out of the form completely or deleted as one of the options in maintaining residency obligations.

If it's outdated then the CIC should update their information because it provides incorrect information.

Thanks anyway.
Because you could have received a 3 year returning resident permit in May of 2002, which would allow you to remain outside Canada till May 2005, so you wouldn't have had to return to Canada until May/08 and then remain for 2 years to retain your PR status.

PMM