PitObi23

Jul 28, 2022
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
Dear Jakiewuyi:

I really applicate your inputs

I got my USA VISA approval on July 17, 2023 at Vancouver Consulate.

As you guided I was there with my PR card, Confirmation page and RTD.

My process and time line as follows for others to take help incase for reference

RTD Received May 11, 2023
PR Card received May 18, 2023
DS160 Form Filled May 24, 2023
got appointment for Oct 2025 at Toronto
every single day/night keep checking and rescheduled for Vancouver July 17, 2023

10 AM was appointment time
Reached 9:45 AM
Screening and Document verification done by 10:15AM
Biometric done by 10:25AM
Interview done by officer by 10:30AM
I was out side the building by 10:40AM

3 questions asked and it approved.
I got email confirmation from Canada post about my RTD pickup from given location Toronto on July 20, 2023.

Thank you once again to Jakiewuyi and all
Congratulations on getting your visa approved. If I may ask you, was the consular location you selected when filling out the DS-160 form the same consular location where you had your interview? If it was not the same location, did that pose any issues for you? Also, do you know if there are any
limits to the number of reschedules that can be attempted?

betterlife999

Star Member
Sep 25, 2021
Congratulations on getting your visa approved. If I may ask you, was the consular location you selected when filling out the DS-160 form the same consular location where you had your interview? If it was not the same location, did that pose any issues for you? Also, do you know if there are any
limits to the number of reschedules that can be attempted?
Thank you Brother.

# Initially I selected Toronto as consular location but I could able to get appointment at Vancouver.
( you need to create new DS160 if you change the Location )

# Document checking officer and visa interviewing officer didn't asked me any question on location change.

# as per my knowledge you can reschedule as many as time you can. ( getting nearest appointment is Luck )

all the very best for your USA VISA

Reactions: PitObi23

PitObi23

Jul 28, 2022
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Accra
Thank you Brother.

# Initially I selected Toronto as consular location but I could able to get appointment at Vancouver.
( you need to create new DS160 if you change the Location )

# Document checking officer and visa interviewing officer didn't asked me any question on location change.

# as per my knowledge you can reschedule as many as time you can. ( getting nearest appointment is Luck )

all the very best for your USA VISA
Thanks for the reply bro.

Reactions: betterlife999

hassiko

Aug 19, 2021
Hello guys. I’m planing to go Milan but I’ve one airport transfer ( John kennedy (USA) )
I don’t have pr, do I need to get visa for transit?

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
You always need visa going through the US

***Long Post Alert

Good day everyone.

I quickly want to share my travel experience to the United States using my RTD and I will divide it into 2 parts. Every information I shared was based on my experience and might be different from others.

TRAVEL TO US

After the security checks at Toronto Pearson, I went to the US connections F where the US immigration officer requested for my travel document. (Please note that my PR card was not needed at this point). The officer scanned my visa and asked me to do biometrics (fingerprints). At the first scan of my fingerprints, the system brought up my information since I already did the same biometrics when I passed through the United States in 2018. The officer asked if I have ever been to the US and i replied YES. She took me to another room told me to wait for secondary checks.
The officer that did my secondary check asked for the purpose of my visit to the US and also the status of the old visa. My response was that the old visa was canceled since i transit through the US to claim asylum in 2018. My RTD was returned and I was led through another door which leads to the boarding gate. No issue at JFK.

RETURN TO CANADA
I returned to Canada on the 4th day. Prior my arrival at Toronto Pearson, I have completed the ArriveCAN landing information online. Upon arrival at the airport, I scanned my PR Card, got a printed receipt and I have all documents (RTD, Boarding pass, PR Card & Receipt) to CBSA. The officer asked the basic questions and sent me for secondary checks. At the secondary checkpoint, my RTD, PR Card and US Visa was scanned. I was asked the purpose of my visit to NYC, where I stayed and when I initially landed in Canada. My documents were returned and I went to connect to the flight to Ottawa.

Here’s my advice,
1. Do not lie about your situation to either US immigration or CBSA. They have all your details and only asked the questions for validation. At my secondary check, two people were inadmissible to the US from Canada.

2. If you don’t have a major reason to travel, please wait till you get your citizenship. Personally, I will wait to qualify for my citizenship next year before going for any other international travel.

Last edited:

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
***Long Post Alert

Good day everyone.

I quickly want to share my travel experience to the United States using my RTD and I will divide it into 2 parts. Every information I shared was based on my experience and might be different from others.

TRAVEL TO US

After the security checks at Toronto Pearson, I went to the US connections F where the US immigration officer requested for my travel document. (Please note that my PR card was not needed at this point). The officer scanned my visa and asked me to do biometrics (fingerprints). At the first scan of my fingerprints, the system brought up my information since I already did the same biometrics when I passed through the United States in 2018. The officer asked if I have ever been to the US and i replied YES. She took me to another room told me to wait for secondary checks.
The officer that did my secondary check asked for the purpose of my visit to the US and also the status of the old visa. My response was that the old visa was canceled since i transit through the US to claim asylum in 2018. My RTD was returned and I was led through another door which leads to the boarding gate. No issue at JFK.

RETURN TO CANADA
I returned to Canada on the 4th day. Prior my arrival at Toronto Pearson, I have completed the ArriveCAN landing information online. Upon arrival at the airport, I scanned my PR Card, got a printed receipt and I have all documents (RTD, Boarding pass, PR Card & Receipt) to CBSA. The officer asked the basic questions and sent me for secondary checks. At the secondary checkpoint, my RTD, PR Card and US Visa was scanned. I was asked the purpose of my visit to NYC, where I stayed and when I initially landed in Canada. My documents were returned and I went to connect to the flight to Ottawa.

Here’s my advice,
1. Do not lie about your situation to either US immigration or CBSA. They have all your details and only asked the questions for validation. At my secondary check, two people were inadmissible to the US from Canada.

2. If you don’t have a major reason to travel, please wait till you get your citizenship. Personally, I will wait to qualify for my citizenship next year before going for any other international travel.
We do not need pr if we have rtd right? I’ll travel to the US without pr card soon.

Jakiewuyi

Star Member
Jan 20, 2022
We do not need pr if we have rtd right? I’ll travel to the US without pr card soon.
As mentioned in the beginning of my statement, the information is based on my experience. I did what I believe is right for me by traveling with both my RTD and PR Card. You can always do whatever works for you. No hard feelings.

Reactions: Canadian_rainbow

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
As mentioned in the beginning of my statement, the information is based on my experience. I did what I believe is right for me by traveling with both my RTD and PR Card. You can always do whatever works for you. No hard feelings.
Thank you. Of course if I have my pr already I need my pr to travel. But I was asking if we have to have it for travel. I tried to search a bit. We do not need pr to come back to Canada if you have refugee travel document. If you are travelling with your back home passport which is you shouldn’t that’s the problem for refugees. Thanks again.

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
Thank you. Of course if I have my pr already I need my pr to travel. But I was asking if we have to have it for travel. I tried to search a bit. We do not need pr to come back to Canada if you have refugee travel document. If you are travelling with your back home passport which is you shouldn’t that’s the problem for refugees. Thanks again.
You can return to Canada using only RTD. But after you scan your RTD on CBSA kiosks, machine will print a receipt that writes only "IMP". Nothing else. That means from my experience, ask a lot of questions. Normally CBSA officers ask where did you go, why and how long did you stay. But with that receipt that says IMP on it, you will be asked more like why did you visit this county, what do you do and other annoying questions.

In case you have PR, machine will print receipt with your photo, your PR card number, date of birth and some marks on the receipt. For my case, I had X on left top and I was sent to the immigration for basic questioning and let go to baggage claim.

Please let me know your experience, if you get IMP receipt or not. Also I wonder if other PR holders with refugee status has X on the receipt and what does that mean. My Canadian citizen and former refugee friend had X on receipt but wasn't sent to the immigration.

Reactions: Canadian_rainbow

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
***Long Post Alert

Good day everyone.

TRAVEL TO US

RETURN TO CANADA

Here’s my advice,

In my case US did not take my fingerprints, I was not sent secondary. Officer asked basic questions and asked if I am refugee, how long I have been in Canada, what do I do and let me go to the gates.

Upon return to Canada, I was sent to immigration and let go after basic questioning.

Canadian_rainbow

Aug 30, 2022
You can return to Canada using only RTD. But after you scan your RTD on CBSA kiosks, machine will print a receipt that writes only "IMP". Nothing else. That means from my experience, ask a lot of questions. Normally CBSA officers ask where did you go, why and how long did you stay. But with that receipt that says IMP on it, you will be asked more like why did you visit this county, what do you do and other annoying questions.

In case you have PR, machine will print receipt with your photo, your PR card number, date of birth and some marks on the receipt. For my case, I had X on left top and I was sent to the immigration for basic questioning and let go to baggage claim.

Please let me know your experience, if you get IMP receipt or not. Also I wonder if other PR holders with refugee status has X on the receipt and what does that mean. My Canadian citizen and former refugee friend had X on receipt but wasn't sent to the immigration.
Hi. Thank you very much for the information. It’s very helpful. I’ll tell you what happened after my trip. Thank you!

Db1000

Star Member
Aug 8, 2022
Does anyone know any tricks for getting an appointment early?

I've been waking up at odd hours in the night but still nothing for this year. I don't even mind the city. Any help?