+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA to Canada for first time landing - valid I797 no stamp

ckshah1498

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
HI All Experts,

I am in USA on H1 with my family s on H4 .I want to go canada to complpte first time landing process with family to get PR card.

Question is

1. I changed my H1 employer. i have new approved I797. but in passports i dont have new employer stamp for me and my family. i have stamp with my old employer which my employer already revoked.

So i this situation if i visit canada to complete first time landing process . its required to go for new employer stamping for me and my family passport.

2. whats the better way to go canada from USA via car or flights ok?

3. which documents required for me and family for first time landing process.

plz guide me with all points if any one have better idea on this

Thanks in advance

navid2014

Jul 9, 2014
I am also in the same situation whether I need to go for stamping, but in my case I have n't changed my employer so not sure if I need to go for stamping.

ckshah1498 said:
HI All Experts,

I am in USA on H1 with my family s on H4 .I want to go canada to complpte first time landing process with family to get PR card.

Question is

1. I changed my H1 employer. i have new approved I797. but in passports i dont have new employer stamp for me and my family. i have stamp with my old employer which my employer already revoked.

So i this situation if i visit canada to complete first time landing process . its required to go for new employer stamping for me and my family passport.

2. whats the better way to go canada from USA via car or flights ok?

3. which documents required for me and family for first time landing process.

plz guide me with all points if any one have better idea on this

Thanks in advance

Mr.NM

May 1, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-05-2013
Doc's Request.
02-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-07-2013
Med's Request
02-04-2014
Med's Done....
07-04-2014; 24-04-2015
Interview........
27-02-2014
Passport Req..
28-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-06-2015
I am in the same boat. I had changed my employer. My h1 visa has expired that had my old employer name on it. But now I have got the h1 extension (I797 & I94) under my new employer.

I have heard of a process that is called "Automatic Visa Revalidation". I have talked to my lawyer and he says I can go to Canada and come back without need to re-stamp my h1 visa. All you need is a valid I94 & I797 and expired H1 visa in passport. There are some limitations like you can not stay more than 30 days and you can not go to any other country from Canada.

When are you intending to travel?

ckshah1498

Star Member
Jun 23, 2014
yes you are right we can use our old employer stamp passport and new employer i797 and valid i94
and we have 30 days timeline to come back using AVR.

but if we want to comeback withing 30 days which one is better way to land first time from USA by car or flight ? as i have my family also.

I also heard that will get PR card approx after 2 to 3 months so how can we get that back its posiible that out friend or relative collect our card and send in courier to USA?

any idea i am planning in summer march or april ..

guide me if any idea

tekot200

Jun 2, 2016
I visited canada last week. I entered canada on 5/18 and returned back on 5/22. Both thru rainbow bridge.

When I checked my i-94 online, I only see entry for 5/18, but no POE mentioned there.

I do not see any entry of getting back into USA on 5/22.

I crossed thru rainbow bridge & the CBP officer verified the passport & I-797 on my way back.

Do I need to worry as there is no arrival record available online till date ?

What should I do ?

One more thing. There was no US CBP checking while getting into Canada. So I believe Canada would have passed my departure information to USA.