+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

USA Dual Citizenship

yaahhuu

Nov 6, 2009
Hello,

My husband is an American naturalized citizen and I am a Canadian, we are living in the USA at the moment. We both lived in Canada for about 4 years and had applied for my husband's citizenship in Canada. They sent us notice to write citizenship test in Canada. My questions are:

1. Would becoming Canadian citizen jeopardize his American citizenship in anyway? I have been getting mixed answers even from immigration lawyers
2. Does our current residency in the USA disqualify him for Canadian citizenship? He already met the minimum requirements to stay in Canada when he applied

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

yaahhuu said:
Hello,

My husband is an American naturalized citizen and I am a Canadian, we are living in the USA at the moment. We both lived in Canada for about 4 years and had applied for my husband's citizenship in Canada. They sent us notice to write citizenship test in Canada. My questions are:

1. Would becoming Canadian citizen jeopardize his American citizenship in anyway? I have been getting mixed answers even from immigration lawyers
2. Does our current residency in the USA disqualify him for Canadian citizenship? He already met the minimum requirements to stay in Canada when he applied
1. No
2. No

PMM

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
At one time a naturalized U.S. citizen risked losing his/her citizenship if they set up permanent residence in another country within 5 years of naturalizing as a U.S. citizen. However, that provision is no longer in place to the best of my knowledge.

canadianatheart

May 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to know for sure the best thing to do is to contact the U.S. embassy or consulate. THey have a website also if you search for it you should find it easily it even has a section under consulate about dual citizenship.

Unfortunately i can't post links on this forum.