+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US TRAINED PHYSICAL THERAPIST IMMIGRATION TO CANADA

clyde91

Feb 5, 2017
Hello All,

I am a foreign born who is US state licensed Doctor of Physical Therapy(graduated school in US). I am looking into a way to immigrate to Canada. As for job experience , I have 3 years experience as a Medical Assistant in USA, and 1 year of Physical Therapist job experience. I am also aware that this healthcare profession is being regulated and would require me passing Canadian licensing exam as well. However, I am not sure if USA education is considered equivalent to Canadian. Please advice what immigration options do I have. I was interested in Express Entry option. Thank you.

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016 (1st AOR) / 01-12-2016 (BOWP - 2nd AOR)
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
clyde91 said:
Hello All,

I am a foreign born who is US state licensed Doctor of Physical Therapy(graduated school in US). I am looking into a way to immigrate to Canada. As for job experience , I have 3 years experience as a Medical Assistant in USA, and 1 year of Physical Therapist job experience. I am also aware that this healthcare profession is being regulated and would require me passing Canadian licensing exam as well. However, I am not sure if USA education is considered equivalent to Canadian. Please advice what immigration options do I have. I was interested in Express Entry option. Thank you.
As far as I know you have to go through a complete evaluation and examination process for being a licensed a Physiotherapist in Canada, even if you are from the US. It's a long process...
This link has every information.

http://www.alliancept.org/

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
The Alliance will make it's own evaluation of your education and I'm pretty sure you will need to do a separate evaluation for immigration reasons as well. Check this too: http://www.wes.org/ca/eca/

clyde91

Feb 5, 2017
Thanks for your response. Would you think I should go through evaluation and take an exam before applying for immigration or after I will be awarded PR based on my credentials? Would Canadian employers give provisional acceptance or wait till I pass the equivalency certifications? Sorry so many qs, but with licensed professions it is a bit tricky to figure what to do first.

Specterz

Apr 2, 2015
Mississauga, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
Jan 06, 2017
Med's Done....
Mar 07, 2017
Passport Req..
Mar 14, 2017
You would need the WES evaluation before you can file your PR application. That is basically tell an Immigration Officer, what your degree is equivalent to Canadian Education. Although, the US and Canadian Education system is very similar, US education is still considered foreign in Canada.

For PT Licensing, I "believe" you can do it afterwards, since it's not a requirement for immigration department.

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
clyde91 said:
Thanks for your response. Would you think I should go through evaluation and take an exam before applying for immigration or after I will be awarded PR based on my credentials? Would Canadian employers give provisional acceptance or wait till I pass the equivalency certifications? Sorry so many qs, but with licensed professions it is a bit tricky to figure what to do first.
Immigration and licensing are two different things. They both need their own evaluations. Immigration (WES) is really easy.

Provisional practice is possible only if you pass the written component of the exam. After that there is a clinical practical exam but in between you can start working as a resident PT. Before the written exam you can not work as a PT in Canada. Check the website I sent.

I would start the process with the Alliance ASAP. It depends on you, if you wanna come to Canada before your PT license. Many foreign PT-s work as Physiotherapy Assistants until they get their PT license. Of course, the money you can make as PTA is much less. Feel free to PM me if you need more detailed information

Tite

Apr 24, 2017
Hi Neorol, I read your advice "I would start the process with the Alliance ASAP. It depends on you, if you wanna come to Canada before your PT license. Many foreign PT-s work as Physiotherapy Assistants until they get their PT license" and I would like to ask if you have information ou could provide any guidance to me about it.
I'm a Brazilian Physiotherapist (4-year University degree) and I'd like to go to Canada to work in my profession. As the process for get the license as a PT takes a time, my idea is to start as a PTA. But I will need a sponsor to apply for a Work VIsa as a PTA so I can travel to CN. Do you know if this is a possibility? Do you know how can I find an employer that would be willing to do it?
I have more than 15 years of experience, I've lived in the UK for some years and I really want to move to Canada, but I cannot afford to go there without a job.

Thank you for your attention, hope you reply to me.
Kind regards,
Tite

neorol

Jul 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-10-2016
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
09-11-2016 (Passed)
Passport Req..
02-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
15-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-04-2017
Tite said:
Hi Neorol, I read your advice "I would start the process with the Alliance ASAP. It depends on you, if you wanna come to Canada before your PT license. Many foreign PT-s work as Physiotherapy Assistants until they get their PT license" and I would like to ask if you have information ou could provide any guidance to me about it.
I'm a Brazilian Physiotherapist (4-year University degree) and I'd like to go to Canada to work in my profession. As the process for get the license as a PT takes a time, my idea is to start as a PTA. But I will need a sponsor to apply for a Work VIsa as a PTA so I can travel to CN. Do you know if this is a possibility? Do you know how can I find an employer that would be willing to do it?
I have more than 15 years of experience, I've lived in the UK for some years and I really want to move to Canada, but I cannot afford to go there without a job.

Thank you for your attention, hope you reply to me.
Kind regards,
Tite
Hi Tite,

Unfortunately it's not easy to get a sponsor "LMIA" as PTA, because in most provinces PTA is not a regulated healthcare profession. It means, that almost anybody could apply for that job, therefore it's hard to prove that there is no other Canadian who could do that job. You still can try to email to clinics all around Canada describing your situation. Some of them might reply. If you are interested of our story send me a PM.

Check this out: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=163&top=17

You still could apply with Express Entry, and come to Canada with your family as Permanent Residents. That way you could work anywhere as a PTA until you get your licence. However, you will need to show proof of funds.

Check this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/funds.asp

jerbes

May 13, 2017
I have a question along the same lines. I just graduated with my DPT in the US, plan on moving to Canada sometime next year with my wife (wedding is this summer, she is Canadian resident). I plan on working in the US and paying off some student debt while waiting for PR approval, as well as working on the PT licensing stuff for Canada. Am I able to be licensed in both countries at once, or is there a rule against that? I was thinking I would continue to work in the US (at least part-time) while simultaneously looking for a job in Winnipeg after passing the written component of the Canadian licensing exam. I guess I'm just not sure how the whole process works.

P.S. my fiance is currently in physio school in Winnipeg so we will be going into the same profession, so she knows more about the licensing in Canada stuff than I do.

NYPT

Sep 11, 2018
Hi Guys ,
I am licensed PT in NY (licensed & working for over 11 years ) , Do i have to take the PT licensing exam again for Canada or just have complete t he credentialing requirement?

jerbes

May 13, 2017
Hi Guys ,
I am licensed PT in NY (licensed & working for over 11 years ) , Do i have to take the PT licensing exam again for Canada or just have complete t he credentialing requirement?
You have to complete the licensing exam. It is a 2-part exam, a written portion and a practical portion. All of the provinces are different in regards to when you can work throughout this process (for example, in Manitoba you can work "under supervision" after you pass the written exam, in BC you can work as soon as you signed up for both exams and have a supervision plan, interim practice number, etc.).

Mar 30, 2024
1580 Taylor Ave #70, Winnipeg, MB R3N 2A7, Canada
Category........
BUSINESS
Based on the qualifications and experience you have, it might be possible to move to Canada using various methods such as through Express Entry.
Even though your education and experience from America are important you will probably need to take an ECA (educational credential assessment) to determine the equivalency of your degree in Canada.

Additionally, you'll need to pass the Canadian licensing exam to practice as a physiotherapist in Canada, which is essential if you're considering opportunities in Physiotherapy Winnipeg or elsewhere.
I highly recommend you to consult with an immigration lawyer or advisor specializing in healthcare professions for personalized guidance on your immigration options and the steps to take.