+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Police Clearance: FBI Processing Times

sawadee-eh

Star Member
Nov 25, 2015
prvc said:
Hi. Your post made me curious. If you don't mind, may you please share how's it possible that you didn't need the FBI Certificate? I just sent my FBI Summary Request today. I was wondering what would be the grounds for a person not to need the FBI cert anymore. Thank you.
We submitted for an FBI cert. as a 'just in case' scenario, because the USA visit was just over 10 years before PR application date, and visit time was just under 6 months. We thought there was a chance they would request it so ordered it just in case.

mcharade

Star Member
May 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
14-10-2016
File Transfer...
24-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug. 2016
Rocky127 said:
Thanks, I did some research and could see below company and they are charging $55 per person.

Do you think this is reasonable?
I think it's reasonable. I paid about $60 CAD, though I needed to get prints for two different checks so maybe the price was more expensive in my case because of that.

Wasiasmet

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2016
Doc's Request.
02-09-2016
Nomination.....
26-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-09-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Praying
hi guys,
i was invited to apply or permanent residency, all my documents are ready and complete but the FBI clearance will take maybe 3 month before i receive it...i still have 37 days to submit my application,does anyone know if it`s ok to submit now or should i wait till the end of the 60 days and then submit??? i will of course include an explanation letter and proof that i requested a clearance...thanks

Wasiasmet

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2016
Doc's Request.
02-09-2016
Nomination.....
26-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-09-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Praying
prvc said:
Better call them and ask them directly. We called them yesterday and asked if we could submit everything except the FBI clearance because of the long wait. But they advised us to submit it once everything is complete. The officer also added that it depends whether you are in Canada or outside Canada. Also, having a Case Number might help you. The officer explained that other people submit the FBI Clearance as a to-follow-document because those people know where to send it.

Give them a call so your question will be answered correctly, just bear with the wait time though. We waited 30 mins before someone talked to us after 5 times of calling. Best of luck.
thanks i did call earlier but i felt that the lady who answered didn`t really know!!! i am gonna have to wait till almost the end of the 60 days and then submit.........i really hate that certificate...waste of time.

Wasiasmet

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-09-2016
Doc's Request.
02-09-2016
Nomination.....
26-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-09-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Praying
well first she didn`t know anything about the letter of explanation or what proof i should provide, she really seemed to be from a help center just answering the phone!!

justfromerica

Mar 22, 2015
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone could answer this question...

My wife is going to get her fingerprints done this week so we can submit the application to the FBI. From the timelines it looks like it's taking everyone a little over 2 months to receive the police clearance.

I have to submit her Outland PR application from inside the US, but first, I have to submit her Rehabilitation application which we plan on driving to the border to submit asap to expedite the process (2 months-ish for approval) rather than sending them concurrently to the visa office which could take upwards of a year.

So, with that being said, should I request TWO FBI certificates? Or will one likely expire before the Rehabilitation is approved and I need to send the PR application?

I wish the expiry wasn't so short dated.

I'm a Canadian citizen currently living in the US on my GC, so I've been through the US immigration system and completed it by myself, but Canada is much different it seems so I'm unfamiliar with this process thus far.

eaforster

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2016
AOR Received.
01-10-2016
File Transfer...
15-10-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-07-2016
Passport Req..
ECAS DM: 02/07/2017 PPR: 02/15/2017
VISA ISSUED...
02/27/2017
LANDED..........
03/04/2017
Hi guys,

I'm really really anxious to get my FBI clearance(last item I need to have a full package). I mailed mine off on June 6th, so I have a few more weeks of waiting.

I'm considering sucking up the money and just doing my fingerprints again and going through one of the channelers because you can get it done within a week or two.

Anyone know what mail the FBI is opening yet before I waste my time/money submitting it through a channeler, to maybe end up getting them at the same time?

pedropil

Dec 2, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Case Processing Centre - Mississauga, Ontario
App. Filed.......
16-05-2016
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
Med's Request
18-04-2017
Med's Done....
18-05-2017
Interview........
06-07-2017
LANDED..........
06-07-2017
eaforster said:
Hi guys,

I'm really really anxious to get my FBI clearance(last item I need to have a full package). I mailed mine off on June 6th, so I have a few more weeks of waiting.

I'm considering sucking up the money and just doing my fingerprints again and going through one of the channelers because you can get it done within a week or two.

Anyone know what mail the FBI is opening yet before I waste my time/money submitting it through a channeler, to maybe end up getting them at the same time?
You see the previous post here, they have the number where you can call. Best thing to do is wait. Mine took 3 months ish from the time they received it and i got it from my mail box.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
justfromerica said:
How did everyone mail their request to the FBI? Carrier? USPS Express? Priority? In a basic envelope?
You at least want some way to track it. The choice of carrier/courier and cost is up to you.

Have you considered using one of the FBI approved third party Channelers, since CIC is accepting them again? They cost more (~$50 versus $18), but you get the letter in a couple of weeks (Mailed to a U,S, address).

justfromerica

Mar 22, 2015
I have not. I didn't realize they were accepting them again. Is there information on that somewhere?

I need two, because I'm doing Rehabilitation and PR application, but we were going to drive to the Detriot-Windsor crossing to submit the Rehab application there to expedite the process for that a little, wait for that to be approved, then send off the PR with the Rehab approval. I was only going to request one FBI clearance now, for the Rehab, and then request for the second after the rehab is sent off or approved. If I ordered both now, I'm afraid one would expire.

justfromerica

Mar 22, 2015
To add to this, I found a thread from January 2015 saying they are using them again, but then further down the thread as of March 2015 it says they are no longer using them?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
justfromerica said:
To add to this, I found a thread from January 2015 saying they are using them again, but then further down the thread as of March 2015 it says they are no longer using them?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

Option 2:

For U.S. citizens and permanent residents only: you may apply to an FBI-approved channeler (a third party that helps deliver your information to the FBI). They will collect your application form, fingerprints, any fee(s), and give them to the FBI.

Once the FBI completes their background check, they will send the results to the channeler. The channeler will then give you your record check letter.

Please include the FBI letter with your application, and send us the complete package.