App. Filed.......
17-04-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2015
LANDED..........
14-12-2015
2 and a half weeks including time in transit with a private company, cost us 60$ US. Well worth bypassing the 20 or more weeks it currently is directly through the FBI. These companies are authorized to use the FBI database so it's the same thing only cost a bit more and is faster.

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
Pollen said:
2 and a half weeks including time in transit with a private company, cost us 60$ US. Well worth bypassing the 20 or more weeks it currently is directly through the FBI. These companies are authorized to use the FBI database so it's the same thing only cost a bit more and is faster.
However, CIC does not currently accept these channeler background checks, per their website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

"...Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not accept FBI police certificates issued by FBI-approved third party private companies. Only police certificates issued directly by the FBI will be accepted. ..."

You can mail your application without the FBI check, just make sure you include a note *why* and send it on as soon as you receive it, which should be right around when your application gets forwarded to Ottawa, anyway, where it will just collect dust for a few months. No harm in sending your FBI check then, especially given the circumstances.

Best of luck xoxo

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It really makes no sense.

Why were they accepting Channeler reports in January and February of this year, but changed the rules on March 9th...even though the FBI backlog is still at 14-16 weeks?!

Way to go CIC!

rugrat907

Feb 3, 2015
California
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2015
AOR Received.
25-04-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
21-11-2014, remeds on 04-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR issued 21-12-2015
Ponga said:
It really makes no sense.

Why were they accepting Channeler reports in January and February of this year, but changed the rules on March 9th...even though the FBI backlog is still at 14-16 weeks?!

Way to go CIC!
I think they were probably getting things from channelers that were in all kinds of different formats, etc, and it just wasn't consistent enough. After all, it's not CIC's fault that the FBI is so messed up right now.

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
DM: 21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 17-12-2015
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
Amalthea said:
However, CIC does not currently accept these channeler background checks, per their website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

"...Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not accept FBI police certificates issued by FBI-approved third party private companies. Only police certificates issued directly by the FBI will be accepted. ..."

You can mail your application without the FBI check, just make sure you include a note *why* and send it on as soon as you receive it, which should be right around when your application gets forwarded to Ottawa, anyway, where it will just collect dust for a few months. No harm in sending your FBI check then, especially given the circumstances.

Best of luck xoxo
Have you had experience with this? My boyfriend and I had decided to wait until we had everything around so that we could send in a complete application...and then he got a new credit card while we were waiting...which in turn got denied when they tried to run it. They sent a letter requesting new payment, but now according to the lady on the phone, we're back at the end of the line again (I originally mailed it in at the beginning of December and now my date is set at March 24th :eek: ). My work permit expires in June, so I DID have plenty of time to get things around and then switch from worker to visitor...but now if I have to wait another four months, my work permit will have expired and I'm afraid I won't be granted an extended stay without having a PR application submitted.

Thoughts? I'm afraid to not do it, but I'm afraid to send my application ahead only to have it denied because it was "incomplete". :/

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
fruitball4u said:
Have you had experience with this? My boyfriend and I had decided to wait until we had everything around so that we could send in a complete application...and then he got a new credit card while we were waiting...which in turn got denied when they tried to run it. They sent a letter requesting new payment, but now according to the lady on the phone, we're back at the end of the line again (I originally mailed it in at the beginning of December and now my date is set at March 24th :eek: ). My work permit expires in June, so I DID have plenty of time to get things around and then switch from worker to visitor...but now if I have to wait another four months, my work permit will have expired and I'm afraid I won't be granted an extended stay without having a PR application submitted.

Thoughts? I'm afraid to not do it, but I'm afraid to send my application ahead only to have it denied because it was "incomplete". :/
I sent my application in in January without the FBI clearance. I got my AOR and SA just fine. My FBI check came on Tuesday this week and I overnighted it to Ottawa via FedEx. So far I've had no issues and no one is calling me on an 'incomplete application.' I did include a letter initially stating why it was not included and that I'd forward it immediately upon receipt.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I can't help but wonder why CIC even needs this, since they, and/or CBSA, have access to a person's criminal record (or no record) in just a few seconds.

IMHO, they could have simply added another fee to the application for PR to include this check.

Hnamson1

Nov 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31/03/2015
Doc's Request.
17/09/2015
AOR Received.
In Process 22/09/2015
Med's Done....
19/01/2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-11-2015 DM/ 23/11/2015 COPR
LANDED..........
27/11/2015
We wish we would have sent our application in January without the police clearance. I waited 17 weeks to recieve mine. Just sent my application the last day of March. Fingers crossed the process will speed up from here.

Amalthea

May 27, 2014
Vancity
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2014
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
Med's Done....
08-07-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2015
LANDED..........
18-06-2015
fruitball4u said:

Yes, I did this myself and so have many others. I'll copy and paste my comment from the last page of this thread -

My first FBI check was flat out wrong, so I had to get the information updated and apply a second time for the corrected one. I mailed mine off right before this whole system-change-fiasco went down, so when I didn't receive my application in 4 weeks I called in. That's when they let me know that wait times had gone up to 3 months.

At the counsel of this forum and other Ottawa applicants, many of whom had sent off their medicals/police clearances after Sponsorship Approval (aka after it arrived at the 2nd visa office, in our case Ottawa), I mailed off my application in Sept 2014 *without* my updated FBI check, and I included a letter about why, given the FBI's wait times, and that I would be forwarding on my FBI check as soon as it was received.

It's now been several months, we received SA and I received my FBI Background Check. I mailed it off to Ottawa. It's been a few months now and I haven't heard a peep, but we ordered our GCMS notes and they had written that they received my current FBI background check and attached it to my file. It has not negatively impacted my application in the slightest.

If you are worried that not having a FBI check with your application is going to mess up your application, please don't be. They see this quite often and are fully aware of what's going on with the FBI. Chances are you will have sent to your Police Clearance to your VO LONG before they even get to your month's applications.

Do not hesitate to send your application without it, especially if it's going to save you months of waiting..

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Aquakitty said:
Citizen, but both citizens and permanent residents can submit their request this way according to the FAQ since it's not for employment purposes.
1. I suggest you read CIC instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp
2. Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not accept FBI police certificates issued by FBI-approved third party private companies. Only police certificates issued directly by the FBI will be accepted.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
PMM said:
Hi

1. I suggest you read CIC instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp
2. Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not accept FBI police certificates issued by FBI-approved third party private companies. Only police certificates issued directly by the FBI will be accepted.
Just in defense of channeler reports. That post your responding too is from Feb 27th, when CIC was allowing channeler reports. CIC recently changed their mind after ~6 weeks of allowing channeler reports, on March 9th. Here is a screen shot from Feb when they were allowing channeler reports.

fruitball4u

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
23-06-2015
File Transfer...
31-07-2015
Med's Done....
20-04-2015
Interview........
DM: 21-12-2015
VISA ISSUED...
COPR: 17-12-2015
LANDED..........
03-01-2016
Amalthea said:
Yes, I did this myself and so have many others. I'll copy and paste my comment from the last page of this thread -

My first FBI check was flat out wrong, so I had to get the information updated and apply a second time for the corrected one. I mailed mine off right before this whole system-change-fiasco went down, so when I didn't receive my application in 4 weeks I called in. That's when they let me know that wait times had gone up to 3 months.

At the counsel of this forum and other Ottawa applicants, many of whom had sent off their medicals/police clearances after Sponsorship Approval (aka after it arrived at the 2nd visa office, in our case Ottawa), I mailed off my application in Sept 2014 *without* my updated FBI check, and I included a letter about why, given the FBI's wait times, and that I would be forwarding on my FBI check as soon as it was received.

It's now been several months, we received SA and I received my FBI Background Check. I mailed it off to Ottawa. It's been a few months now and I haven't heard a peep, but we ordered our GCMS notes and they had written that they received my current FBI background check and attached it to my file. It has not negatively impacted my application in the slightest.

If you are worried that not having a FBI check with your application is going to mess up your application, please don't be. They see this quite often and are fully aware of what's going on with the FBI. Chances are you will have sent to your Police Clearance to your VO LONG before they even get to your month's applications.

Do not hesitate to send your application without it, especially if it's going to save you months of waiting..
Wow, okay, great! Thank you for that :) We'll definitely be sending it ahead then.

Pollen

Star Member
Jan 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-04-2015
AOR Received.
20-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2015
LANDED..........
14-12-2015
The piece of paper the channeler gave me is from the FBI signed by the section chief at the FBI I don't see how this isn't acceptable it's literally from the FBI the channeler just did the processing to speed it up.

DanOCan

Star Member
Aug 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-05-2015
File Transfer...
18-06-2015
Med's Done....
07-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-01-2016
Amalthea said:

I wish I had read that sooner. My wife and I got married in January and we sat on our completed application until yesterday while waiting for the FBI report to come in. We were scared to death of submitting our application to the CIC and having the whole thing come back as incomplete and then having to submit all over again.

DanOCan

Star Member
Aug 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2015
Doc's Request.
23-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-05-2015
File Transfer...
18-06-2015
Med's Done....
07-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
10-01-2016
fruitball4u said:
Have you had experience with this? My boyfriend and I had decided to wait until we had everything around so that we could send in a complete application...and then he got a new credit card while we were waiting...which in turn got denied when they tried to run it. They sent a letter requesting new payment, but now according to the lady on the phone, we're back at the end of the line again (I originally mailed it in at the beginning of December and now my date is set at March 24th :eek: ).
Our experience was almost identical. We submitted our request to the FBI in early December and the credit card we used expired in the meantime. We got the request for new card information, which we sent right away. Two weeks later the card was charged and the report arrived a few days later in the mail. We certainly did not go to the end of the line again.

Total processing time was right around the 16 weeks that they estimated. We held up our application for two months waiting because we didn't want to send it in to the CIC without the report. Seems that was a mistake on our part, based on the comments here.