Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-10-2014
Med's Done....
20-11-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
: 12-01-2015, <br>Passports Sent: 15-Jan-2015, <br>Passport Recved: 16-Jan-2015<br>Shipping: Xpresspost USA
VISA ISSUED...
Tracker Activated: 03-Feb-2015, <br>Passports got Back: 06-Feb-2015
Hello All,

Please any one point me to the link which has all the detailed instructions to sponsor a new born (born in USA). I become Canada PR last year, but still living in USA right now. I will be moving back to Canada in next 2 months. Planning to bring my new born along with me.

1) Can I start the Sponsor process while I am still in USA?

2) The application package instructions are very confusing for sponsoring US born dependent child (it is more clear for a spouse though). Please some one share their experience who went through my situation.

3) is my new born eligible for OHIP after granting eligibility for PR?

4) I will be working in USA while commuting back to Canada. Would it be ok, if I specify my USA employer details in application form?

I appreciate the help!

mcharade

Star Member
May 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
14-10-2016
File Transfer...
24-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug. 2016
I'm very close to sending in my application! (It'll be sent tomorrow). I have one last question, I forgot to add my UCI number on IMM0008 and I was wondering if it's okay for my to write on the form with a pen even though the rest of the form has been printed? Should I initial beside the correction?

Also, did anyone include a cover letter basically explaining your relationship? Like how you met, the development of the relationship, and whatnot? I'm thinking about including that sort of explanation because my partner and I have a bit of an odd relationship (in CIC's eyes, perhaps) because we went from normal dating to long distance dating (for more than a year); so we basically have a huge gap where other than some trips to visit each other we have no pictures or anything of us. (Other than Skype things like "Called for xx:xx:xx time").

quercus

Mar 9, 2016
Alberta
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
late May 2016
Doc's Request.
mid-Aug 2016
AOR Received.
late June 2016
File Transfer...
early-Aug 2016 (same as SA?)
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
mid-Sept 2016
LANDED..........
Apr 2017
CDNPR2014 said:
volunteering is allowed for visitors, as long as the position is advertised to the public as a volunteering position. if the "volunteer" position is something the company would otherwise pay a canadian to do, then that is not allowed, that is working for free.
As with everything else involved with immigration, the interpretation of "work" and "opportunity" is up to the CIC or CBSA agent you're in front of. I was going to volunteer when I got up here, but decided not to for two reasons:
1) According to CIC, "unremunerated help by a friend or family member during a visit, such as a mother assisting a daughter with childcare, or an uncle helping his nephew build his own cottage" is okay, but a a guy was turned away at the border because he had work boots & was going to help his father-in-law build a deck. There are other similar stories.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/2-questions-working-as-a-volunteer-informing-cic-about-long-holiday-t164498.0.html

2) When I complained to a border guard, she told me I could volunteer with this organization or that, but then said any volunteer "work" I did had the potential to be considered taking an opportunity for a Canadian student to gain work experience (in social work or such). She agreed it was best not to volunteer until I had PR. "Unpaid employment undertaken for the purpose of obtaining work experience, such as an internship or practicum normally done by a student" is not acceptable. Of course, I think this means opportunities specifically labeled "internship" or "practicum," but again, get an agent on a bad day & they can make things difficult.

As nice as it would be to make friends and give back to my community here, all this red tape drove me to an awesome online volunteer position with an American nonprofit. I get to make great connections and gain experience in something I'm interested in. It worked out well for me in the long-run! Local charities could always use more help, but I'm doing good work and my status is safe.

The rest of the rules are below:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/about.asp
volunteer work for which a person would not normally be remunerated, such as sitting on the board of a charity or religious institution; being a 'big brother' or 'big sister' to a child; being on the telephone line at a rape crisis centre. (Normally this activity would be part time and incidental to the main reason that a person is in Canada);
unremunerated help by a friend or family member during a visit, such as a mother assisting a daughter with childcare, or an uncle helping his nephew build his own cottage;
long distance (by telephone or internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
self-employment where the work to be done would have no real impact on the labour market, nor really provide an opportunity for Canadians. Examples include a U.S. farmer crossing the border to work on fields that he owns, or a miner coming to work on his own claim.

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
mcharade said:
I'm very close to sending in my application! (It'll be sent tomorrow). I have one last question, I forgot to add my UCI number on IMM0008 and I was wondering if it's okay for my to write on the form with a pen even though the rest of the form has been printed? Should I initial beside the correction?
The barcode pages generated by "validating" the application in Adobe Reader do the data entry. If you don't put your UCI number in, re-validate the forms, and reprint them, it could possibly delay your application until someone feels like going into the app and typing it in manually.

Also, did anyone include a cover letter basically explaining your relationship? Like how you met, the development of the relationship, and whatnot? I'm thinking about including that sort of explanation because my partner and I have a bit of an odd relationship (in CIC's eyes, perhaps) because we went from normal dating to long distance dating (for more than a year); so we basically have a huge gap where other than some trips to visit each other we have no pictures or anything of us. (Other than Skype things like "Called for xx:xx:xx time").
According to IMM 5490, (Sponsored Spouse/Partner Questionnaire), you are supposed to attach a letter giving further details and proof of genuine relationship. That's the best place to add any details or information you feel that CIC should know.

metsfan

Aug 29, 2016
Roadtorusso said:
Hi All! I'm new here - just doing some research for my husband's application. We have been married since February but the document side of this process has been quite time consuming.
I'm Canadian living in BC and my husband is American living in WA. Looking for any sort of advice for compiling supporting documents or things I may not have thought about to include in our application. When should we have his medical done? Also assuming we should do that before submitting? How long is it taking for the FBI check to be done? I'm reading it's upwards of 30 days! :eek: Just looking for any advice or input at this point! Thanks in advance - I'm really enjoying reading everyone's stories on here, so helpful! - Cheers
You can use an FBI channeler i believe for CIC applications. You must be a U.S citizen or a green card holder to use an FBI channeler. The search results come thru almost instantaneously. I ran a self-check on myself thru an FBI channeler and the results came back in my email even before i left the fingerprinting facility. I was like wtff lol ;D

quercus

Mar 9, 2016
Alberta
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
late May 2016
Doc's Request.
mid-Aug 2016
AOR Received.
late June 2016
File Transfer...
early-Aug 2016 (same as SA?)
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
mid-Sept 2016
LANDED..........
Apr 2017
setec-astronomy said:
Does anyone have a recent sense of how long it takes CoPR to make its way from Ottawa to the West Coast...my partner's was sent on April 28th, which as of today is two weeks ago, which is longer than I expect for regular mail between Canada and the States...I thought I might check what others have experienced. We're in Washington...Thanks in advance for any data points :)
I'm sure you have your mail by now, but as for data points: I've had mail get from AB to CA in 5 days, to KS in 3 days and then 10 days another time, a letter took 17 days to get here from CA, and it took 13 days for mail to get here from MT, 3 hours away. That one was particularly nerve-wracking because my FBI clearance was in there!
It's highly variable.

yajiijay

Jun 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-07-2016
AOR Received.
12-08-2016
File Transfer...
01-09-2016
Med's Done....
Upfront
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
Hello Does Immigration/ visa office do background check?What happens when they do background check? Do they verify all of the information we provide, and check the validity , other documents; or do they actually visit, make reference calls for background check? Just curious...
[/quote]

Omegabyte

Aug 8, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
02-03-2017
yajiijay said:
Hello Does Immigration/ visa office do background check?What happens when they do background check? Do they verify all of the information we provide, and check the validity , other documents; or do they actually visit, make reference calls for background check? Just curious...
Yes, the visa office working on the PR application does a background check. As far as I know, the "background check" is basically a criminal background check. Checking to see if you have any record in the Canadian and other criminal databases they have access to.

I don't think CIC or visa offices are going around knocking on doors...

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
Omegabyte said:
Yes, the visa office working on the PR application does a background check. As far as I know, the "background check" is basically a criminal background check. Checking to see if you have any record in the Canadian and other criminal databases they have access to.

I don't think CIC or visa offices are going around knocking on doors...
CIC will come door knocking...just a FYI...its rare but they will

Bcgirl1

Jun 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2016
Doc's Request.
Na
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
File Transfer...
21-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
Once the application has been sent to Ottawa is there a number to call to check and verify status? Where I've linked our accounts it says in progress and on the other way of checking your application it says decision made. I called some number this morning 1-888-242-2100, waited 20 minutes and he said once it's gone to the visa office he can't see anything, but advised me the wait time is 14 months. I mentioned things have been going quicker than that and people are being approved in a few months, he just said oh...I hope it is quick for you then lol.
Thank you everyone in advance for your help

itsasyn17

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-07-2016
IELTS Request
Background check started 29-08-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016 In Process 25-08-2016
Med's Done....
18-04-2016 Passed
Passport Req..
ECAS Decision Made: 15-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2016, returned to Ottawa, waiting for new COPRs
Decision made under PA?

Bcgirl1

Jun 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2016
Doc's Request.
Na
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
File Transfer...
21-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed

itsasyn17

Jul 5, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2016
AOR Received.
07-07-2016
IELTS Request
Background check started 29-08-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016 In Process 25-08-2016
Med's Done....
18-04-2016 Passed
Passport Req..
ECAS Decision Made: 15-09-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2016, returned to Ottawa, waiting for new COPRs
Bcgirl1 said:
Sorry, yes under PA
I'm sure you will be hearing something soon. Probably with the next batch of emails they send out. I've seen other people on here where their status changes and a couple of days later, they get the PPR.

I'm afraid that they don't list a phone number for CPC-Ottawa at all, just an email address and fax number...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/ottawa.asp

Bcgirl1

Jun 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2016
Doc's Request.
Na
AOR Received.
09-06-2016
File Transfer...
21-07-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Passed
itsasyn17 said:
I'm sure you will be hearing something soon. Probably with the next batch of emails they send out. I've seen other people on here where their status changes and a couple of days later, they get the PPR.

I'm afraid that they don't list a phone number for CPC-Ottawa at all, just an email address and fax number...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/canada/ottawa.asp
Ok thank you so much for your help. I will try to be patient lol

Cath-Toronto

Jun 22, 2016
Is fulfilling one criteria on the Stat Common Law Declaration good enough?

While my partner and I have lived together for over 15 months we have never signed a lease together (he pays the rent, so I have never been on the lease) and we are having trouble contacting our landlord to sign a statement indicating that we have lived there together for over 12 months. In addition we were not considered common-law this past tax season therefore did not file together, and we do not own any property together (we do not own any property at all separately either). I am on his life insurance though.

I know that it says that explain if you fulfill none of the criteria, but should we explain if we only fulfill one?