waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
xg0812 said:
Does anyone know if the US custom takes ur plate away after u export the car?
we r planning to import the car at Buffalo but not sure whether we should get a temporary plat from the dealer

everything else we are prepared for:
DRL getting installed
getting new tires and letter of recall clearance from dealer
getting letter of experience from insurance company

anything else we might have missed for the car import process?
customs won't TAKE the plate, they could care less. all customs will do is verify the car you say you are importing is the one you are in fact importing. once you get through customs, there are multiple steps to finalize the import through the RIV. customs does not finalize the import, they initiate it. the owner is suppose to return the plate to the appropriate state motor vehicle department/registry once it's registered in canada - just like when you re-regisiter your car when you move states. importing the vehicle doesn't automatically make the car canadian. REGISTERING the car does, which is the last step of the import process.

xg0812

Star Member
May 27, 2014
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2014
Doc's Request.
18-07-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014
File Transfer...
30-05-2014
Med's Done....
21-03-2014
Passport Req..
15-12-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
customs won't TAKE the plate, they could care less. all customs will do is verify the car you say you are importing is the one you are in fact importing. once you get through customs, there are multiple steps to finalize the import through the RIV. customs does not finalize the import, they initiate it. the owner is suppose to return the plate to the appropriate state motor vehicle department/registry once it's registered in canada - just like when you re-regisiter your car when you move states. importing the vehicle doesn't automatically make the car canadian. REGISTERING the car does, which is the last step of the import process.

thanks! that's what i thought, but i read somewhere that it would so i just thought better to confirm...will call US customs to confirm that and all other required docs as well....
just found that that apparently an EEI is needed and since my partner is not American, she MUST find a broker to do it for her....
sighs

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
xg0812 said:
thanks! that's what i thought, but i read somewhere that it would so i just thought better to confirm...will call US customs to confirm that and all other required docs as well....
just found that that apparently an EEI is needed and since my partner is not American, she MUST find a broker to do it for her....
sighs
yes, the export process is the first step. the export and import are 2 different things. regardless of if she finds someone to do it for her, she will need to get a tax id #. they most likely won't be able to put the information in her name without one. it is because the export agency (forget what it's called) doesn't use SS# anymore. the broker most likely won't be able to use their own, because the exporter (your wife) needs to be the one listed and present at each step of the process, and it is what the agency uses to identify her(instead of ss#). it is very easy to get a tax id #, she can do it easily online or by calling the IRS. I HAD to get one in order to initiate the export. when exporting at the us side, they are also just going to verify the car you say you are exporting you are exporting. she needs to have the original title and the ITN# that is created in the AES export system. they will not care about your plates. exporting doesn't change the registration of the car and has nothing to do with plates.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
rhcohen2014 said:
yes, the export process is the first step. the export and import are 2 different things. regardless of if she finds someone to do it for her, she will need to get a tax id #. they most likely won't be able to put the information in her name without one. it is because the export agency (forget what it's called) doesn't use SS# anymore. the broker most likely won't be able to use their own, because the exporter (your wife) needs to be the one listed and present at each step of the process, and it is what the agency uses to identify her(instead of ss#). it is very easy to get a tax id #, she can do it easily online or by calling the IRS. I HAD to get one in order to initiate the export. when exporting at the us side, they are also just going to verify the car you say you are exporting you are exporting. she needs to have the original title and the ITN# that is created in the AES export system. they will not care about your plates. exporting doesn't change the registration of the car and has nothing to do with plates.
We looked into importing our car when the process was easier, and decided against it because we would have had to make a few modifications to our car, and even though it was in good shape, it was old enough that it wasn't worth it. The path of least resistance is definitely to buy a car in Canada. We sold our car right before moving, then I rented a U-Haul, drove our stuff up to our new apartment, bought a car, and then drove it back to get the family and the remainder of our stuff. That worked really well for us.

If you're weighing the alternatives (keep US car vs. buy a car upon arrival), unless you're coming from a northern state, the US car you already own is likely in better shape than a comparable used Canadian car because of all the salt on the roads in the winter in Canada. Canadian taxes on a car purchase are pretty steep (15% in QC), even for a decent used car, but really insane if you are buying new (15% of $30k = ouch!)

To import a US car to Canada you have to have owned it for at least 6 months while resident in the US (unless the rules have changed) before you can import it duty-free, but for those who are at the beginning of their immigration process, you can probably get a better deal on a car in the US and then import it to Canada (but watch out for modifications you might need...). If you finance the car, it gets much more complicated as you will need your lender's consent.

mtn_air

May 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 16, 2014
AOR Received.
Dec 23, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 8, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Started processing June 29, DM on July 2, Visa arrived July 9!
LANDED..........
Aug 8 - Sault Ste Marie - PR CARD finally received in Feb, 2016!
We are Oct 16 applicants for Outland US and are still waiting for SA, however, are trying to decide if it is worth importing my vehicle. My common-law sponsor Canadian partner will just bring her vehicle back in (though it hasn't been registered for 4 years in Ontario but still has Ontario plates).

Unfortunately, we have time to decide. :eek: as SA has crept up past 60 days...

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
mtn_air said:
We are Oct 16 applicants for Outland US and are still waiting for SA, however, are trying to decide if it is worth importing my vehicle. My common-law sponsor Canadian partner will just bring her vehicle back in (though it hasn't been registered for 4 years in Ontario but still has Ontario plates).

Unfortunately, we have time to decide. :eek: as SA has crept up past 60 days...
it depends how much money your current car is worth, and what you can get in canada. for me, it makes more sense to keep my car, do the repairs, and get it registered in ontario. for what my car's worth, i wouldn't get anything close to what i have now.

xg0812

Star Member
May 27, 2014
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2014
Doc's Request.
18-07-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014
File Transfer...
30-05-2014
Med's Done....
21-03-2014
Passport Req..
15-12-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
According to the AES system, non-American residents have to go through a broker so I'm planning to contact a company at Winnipeg who said they could do AES filing for her for $50..
considering the amount of money already spent on this, im willing to do anything just to get through...

btw, it says online that the export office wants the original certificate of title and 2 complete copies..is that just photocopies? if not, where can we get "complete copies"?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
xg0812 said:
According to the AES system, non-American residents have to go through a broker so I'm planning to contact a company at Winnipeg who said they could do AES filing for her for $50..
considering the amount of money already spent on this, im willing to do anything just to get through...

btw, it says online that the export office wants the original certificate of title and 2 complete copies..is that just photocopies? if not, where can we get "complete copies"?
basically ANYONE has to go through a broker now, unless they want to go through the hassle of registering for AES and taking the certification quiz. it doesn't matter what the importer's residency is. again, i'm pretty sure they are going to tell her she needs a tax id# in order to be identified in the system. definiately report back if this is not the case for your broker.

i would suggest calling the border you will be driving through to determine what they actually want from you. i only needed my original title. you need to bring the title and ITN# to them 72 hours before export, and depending on the border, they *may* accept it as a fax (the border i went through said they would, though i'm sure it's border specific). we dropped mine off as we were driving to the states for thanksgiving, so we hand delivered it. they don't keep it, they make a copy, stamp your title and give it back to you.

btw... how much did your repairs cost? i don't need new tires, i just need DRL, child safety harness, and french stickers?

xg0812

Star Member
May 27, 2014
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-04-2014
Doc's Request.
18-07-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014
File Transfer...
30-05-2014
Med's Done....
21-03-2014
Passport Req..
15-12-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
basically ANYONE has to go through a broker now, unless they want to go through the hassle of registering for AES and taking the certification quiz. it doesn't matter what the importer's residency is. again, i'm pretty sure they are going to tell her she needs a tax id# in order to be identified in the system. definiately report back if this is not the case for your broker.

i would suggest calling the border you will be driving through to determine what they actually want from you. i only needed my original title. you need to bring the title and ITN# to them 72 hours before export, and depending on the border, they *may* accept it as a fax (the border i went through said they would, though i'm sure it's border specific). we dropped mine off as we were driving to the states for thanksgiving, so we hand delivered it. they don't keep it, they make a copy, stamp your title and give it back to you.

btw... how much did your repairs cost? i don't need new tires, i just need DRL, child safety harness, and french stickers?
yeah i emailed them and they said they only need the original copy
i haven't looked at what the broker needs but i'll post it here once i have that
we just changed new tires for 700 at the dealer...havnt installed DRL though and i believe that's all the things we need

EmSNYC

Star Member
Aug 13, 2014
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-12-2014
AOR Received.
25-02-2015
File Transfer...
02-03-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
That looks like an awesome Christmas present... :D

mtn_air

May 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 16, 2014
AOR Received.
Dec 23, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 8, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Started processing June 29, DM on July 2, Visa arrived July 9!
LANDED..........
Aug 8 - Sault Ste Marie - PR CARD finally received in Feb, 2016!
Do all vehicles need to obtain french stickers? I hadn't heard about that requirement. I have to replace my center odometer from miles to km...which looks to be a couple of hundred just for that item alone.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
mtn_air said:
Do all vehicles need to obtain french stickers? I hadn't heard about that requirement. I have to replace my center odometer from miles to km...which looks to be a couple of hundred just for that item alone.
What do you mean "French Stickers"?

The Odometer must have KM in order for it to be registered in Canada. Many US cars have a combo Mile / Km Odometer, those work just fine, they don't need to be replaced to a full KM only odometer.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
mtn_air said:
Mariac819 said:
What do you mean "French Stickers"?

The Odometer must have KM in order for it to be registered in Canada. Many US cars have a combo Mile / Km Odometer, those work just fine, they don't need to be replaced to a full KM only odometer.
by French stickers I meant French safety labels. it's a requirement from the RIV for the inspection. I went to Canadian tire and it was pretty painless. They said "if" they had the labels they would just put them on for free (i'm not even sure if they DID put them on), the DTL was about $150, and they had to fix one of my headlights. I was worried about the odometer too, though it wasn't an issue. my odometer is still in miles, and it doesn't show km. when I reread the form 2 that is used for the inspection, it's the speedometer that is required to have both miles and km. Also, the child safety restraint is just a $10 kit they can sell you. I forgot to get one. All I know is that I passed all 3 inspections(RIV, Ontario safety, emissions) and I'm clear to register my car. You only pay for the ontario and emission tests (about $125 for both), the RIV test is paid for when you pay the fee after entry. I will be calling RIV this week to make sure the import is finalized. Canadian tire faxes Form 2 back to them and gives confirmation.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
by French stickers I meant French safety labels. it's a requirement from the RIV for the inspection. I went to Canadian tire and it was pretty painless. They said "if" they had the labels they would just put them on for free (i'm not even sure if they DID put them on), the DTL was about $150, and they had to fix one of my headlights. I was worried about the odometer too, though it wasn't an issue. my odometer is still in miles, and it doesn't show km. when I reread the form 2 that is used for the inspection, it's the speedometer that is required to have both miles and km. Also, the child safety restraint is just a $10 kit they can sell you. I forgot to get one. All I know is that I passed all 3 inspections(RIV, Ontario safety, emissions) and I'm clear to register my car. You only pay for the ontario and emission tests (about $125 for both), the RIV test is paid for when you pay the fee after entry. I will be calling RIV this week to make sure the import is finalized. Canadian tire faxes Form 2 back to them and gives confirmation.
Thanks for explaining that.

I meant speedometer but wrote odometer. Yes my car is in KM and Miles. It has a digital display.

What is the child safety restraints? Why don't USA cars have child safety restraints? lol