Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
IvanP said:
Here is how it works (hopefully my explanation won't make you more confused!):

If you're self-employed or run a business in Canada, you (and your spouse) have got until June 15 in Canada to file (instead of April 30). US taxpayers residing abroad automatically get an filing extension of two months, so American residents of Canada have a US deadline of June 15, too (instead of April 15). Tax payment deadlines remain in April, even if filing deadlines are in June (so you have to estimate your taxes owed and make a payment based on the estimate). For residents of foreign countries, US taxes are usually easy until you earn more than a certain amount (in 2014 it will be $99,200 per taxpayer, in US dollars). For most people with just employment income you can file form 2555 with your 1040 and you won't owe anything in the US. After that amount, the calculations get harder and you can theoretically wind up owing the US if your tax in Canada was lower than your tax in the US, and even if it wasn't, you have to file in the US anyhow, which means you have to figure your foreign tax credits to get your US tax liability to zero if your income was above the threshold. If you have income from sources in the US and in Canada, or you run a business, or you changed your country of residence in the past year, it can get much more complicated. But for the average US taxpayer living in Canada and making 100k Canadian a year (each US taxpayer spouse gets the exclusion, but your Canadian spouse who is not a US taxpayer doesn't have a US filing obligation) only from Canadian sources, it's not going to be hard (just irritating...).

Also, if you've got accounts outside the US with more than $10k in them at any point in the year, you've got asset disclosure forms to file (FBAR and/or FATCA). Those are really stupid, but the penalties for failure to file them are stiff...
Thank you so much for this!

BTW - I believe this is recent (maybe this summer) but TD Canada sent me paperwork saying I had to fill out a form with my USA SSN for my bank account to be reported to the IRS or else I would be reported to CRA. It looked like a W-9 (I don't have the copies in front of me this instant). I had less than $500 at the time. So, maybe all US citizens have to report ALL foreign accounts no matter how much are in them to the IRS now?

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
rhcohen2014 said:
thanks! that was great info! and truely does not look like it will be too difficult any time soon unless i happen to find a full time job that pays me 6 figures the first year. (which is very doubtful in my field) now what's your opinion/experience on filing jointly in canada and as single in the states? otherwise how do you file jointly if your spouse is not taxed in the us?
My husband said in Canada everyone files their own taxes. There are no "joint" tax returns. You report your status as married, and you can claim your spouse for tax credit if they are unemployed etc.. but the taxes are still filed separately.

I did some digging and found this:

You must report the name, social insurance number and net income of your spouse or common-law partner on page 1 of your tax return, in order to claim some tax credits.

The combined income of you and your spouse or common-law partner is used to calculate:

GST/HST credit
Canada child tax benefit (CCTB)
Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)
working income tax benefit
refundable medical expense supplement
provincial low income tax reductions and some tax credits - see the information for your province

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Mariac819 said:
Thank you so much for this!

BTW - I believe this is recent (maybe this summer) but TD Canada sent me paperwork saying I had to fill out a form with my USA SSN for my bank account to be reported to the IRS or else I would be reported to CRA. It looked like a W-9 (I don't have the copies in front of me this instant). I had less than $500 at the time. So, maybe all US citizens have to report ALL foreign accounts no matter how much are in them to the IRS now?
That's a reporting obligation to help the CRA cooperate with the IRS when the IRS wants to investigate you. You don't have to declare your accounts to the US Treasury until you have more than $10k in your accounts (aggregated! - add them all together, and watch out for joint accounts or accounts where you are a trustee or have signing authority, and read the FBAR and FATCA rules if you can sign checks for the company where you work...). It's all part of the US surveillance state, and these requirements - not the stupid annual tax filing requirement - are the ones that can make me want to ditch my US citizenship. It's a huge PITA for a lot of people and causes a lot of grief for a lot of people who have absolutely nothing to do with money-laundering. Had $50k in your account for one day because you were going to put a down payment on a house? You have to file for the year. Sold your car for $10k and deposited the check? You've got to file. And it applies to securities and other financial interests. Yup. It's freaking ridiculous, the US has no business being such a big brother, and the CRA shouldn't be cooperating.

Just my two cents (which won't push me over any thresholds at the moment...).

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
IvanP said:
That's a reporting obligation to help the CRA cooperate with the IRS when the IRS wants to investigate you. You don't have to declare your accounts to the US Treasury until you have more than $10k in your accounts (aggregated! - add them all together, and watch out for joint accounts or accounts where you are a trustee or have signing authority, and read the FBAR and FATCA rules if you can sign checks for the company where you work...). It's all part of the US surveillance state, and these requirements - not the stupid annual tax filing requirement - are the ones that can make me want to ditch my US citizenship. It's a huge PITA for a lot of people and causes a lot of grief for a lot of people who have absolutely nothing to do with money-laundering. Had $50k in your account for one day because you were going to put a down payment on a house? You have to file for the year. Sold your car for $10k and deposited the check? You've got to file. And it applies to securities and other financial interests. Yup. It's freaking ridiculous, the US has no business being such a big brother, and the CRA shouldn't be cooperating.

Just my two cents (which won't push me over any thresholds at the moment...).
so basically, make sure to not deposit large amounts, live off cash, and put the mortgage in the husband's name?

yeah i got one of those BS letters from TD too. when we signed up for the account, they mentioned all "suspected" US accounts had to be reported to the irs, and now a year later they are looking for "updated" info. the amount we have in there is minimal and i'm thinking of ignoring the request.

lokyy

Jun 10, 2014
Miami, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-11-2014
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
next week
LANDED..........
next week :)
rhcohen2014 said:
so basically, make sure to not deposit large amounts, live off cash, and put the mortgage in the husband's name?

yeah i got one of those BS letters from TD too. when we signed up for the account, they mentioned all "suspected" US accounts had to be reported to the irs, and now a year later they are looking for "updated" info. the amount we have in there is minimal and i'm thinking of ignoring the request.
if you live off cash and dont have an account on your name,,you wont build up a good name nor credit but I mean,,,pay 2 taxes a year,,youre probably gonna live to pay,,,its crazy right?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
lokyy said:
if you live off cash and dont have an account on your name,,you wont build up a good name nor credit but I mean,,,pay 2 taxes a year,,youre probably gonna live to pay,,,its crazy right?
i have a bank account in my name, and plan to build my credit wisely. just don't plan to deposit large enough amounts that would make anyone care. it will be quite a while before i really have to worry about it, id imagine.

lokyy

Jun 10, 2014
Miami, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-11-2014
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
next week
LANDED..........
next week :)
rhcohen2014 said:
i have a bank account in my name, and plan to build my credit wisely. just don't plan to deposit large enough amounts that would make anyone care. it will be quite a while before i really have to worry about it, id imagine.
yeah but even if you had 100 bucks in the canadian bank,,wouldnt you still need to file for taxes in the us?

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
lokyy said:
yeah but even if you had 100 bucks in the canadian bank,,wouldnt you still need to file for taxes in the us?
I think what your referring to is FATCA that came into play this summer. From what I understand, it only applies to money earned on interest or investments overseas. If the money isn't producing anything, then it doesn't need to be reported.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
lokyy said:
No, that's not right. First, the IRS has Form 2555 which excludes just about $100k of foreign earned income from taxation. You still have to file a declaration, but you won't have to pay US taxes. Second, even if you didn't have Form 2555, there is a tax treaty between the US and Canada. Under the tax treaty, any tax you pay in Canada offsets tax you would otherwise have to pay in the US. So, even absent foreign earned income exclusion, if you earned $100k in Canada and paid $30k in taxes in Canada, the US would allow you to offset those $30k in taxes against any US tax owed. So, if you owed an effective rate of 28% in the US on that $100k, you'd owe nothing in the US. If your effective rate in the US was 35% when you only paid $30k in Canada, you'd owe $5k to the US (even though you weren't a resident there and didn't live there). For Canadians, if you reside in the US, you don't owe Canada anything because, although Canada taxes you on your worldwide income while you are a resident, if you aren't a resident, you don't owe anything. Finally, "living off cash" to avoid paying US taxes puts you in the tax evasion category, where there can be criminal penalties, and will also really limit your employment opportunities in Canada if you're only going to accept jobs that pay under-the-table wages. And you'll also be evading Canadian taxes, because filing Canadian taxes when you're an American takes you out of the "living off cash" category. You can live off your spouse's income, though, and then you won't pay taxes in Canada or the US ( you'll need to file in Canada to have access to some of the cool subsidies, but if you've got no income you've got nothing to file in the US!).

The FBAR and FATCA forms are more complicated and are interested in your access to assets (including signing authority, even if the money isn't yours!). Having a mortgage won't trigger them because a mortgage is a debt, so it's not a financial account. Having a joint account with your spouse when that account has more than $10k on any given day in the year WILL trigger it (even if you didn't put it in there). The good thing is that just having the money in an account (or multiple accounts that exceed, in the aggregate, the threshold amount) doesn't mean you have to pay interest or a penalty. The bad thing is that you have to file the FBAR and/or FATCA forms, and the penalties are stiff if you don't file the form. Financial accounts are defined broadly, so brokerage accounts, checking accounts, savings accounts, your kids savings accounts for which you are the trustee, the accounts at work you have a right to sign (if you are a drug store manager and can sign company checks for suppliers or payroll - whoops - you might have a problem!). It's really broad.

So, the US is like a very jealous wife. If you stray and start living in some other country, she gets cray-cray.

MizAngel

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/02/2014
Doc's Request.
11/03/2014
AOR Received.
23/04/2014
File Transfer...
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 12/08/2014, CoPR 20/08/2014
LANDED..........
23/08/2014
IvanP said:
The FBAR and FATCA forms are more complicated and are interested in your access to assets (including signing authority, even if the money isn't yours!). Having a mortgage won't trigger them because a mortgage is a debt, so it's not a financial account. Having a joint account with your spouse when that account has more than $10k on any given day in the year WILL trigger it (even if you didn't put it in there). The good thing is that just having the money in an account (or multiple accounts that exceed, in the aggregate, the threshold amount) doesn't mean you have to pay interest or a penalty. The bad thing is that you have to file the FBAR and/or FATCA forms, and the penalties are stiff if you don't file the form. Financial accounts are defined broadly, so brokerage accounts, checking accounts, savings accounts, your kids savings accounts for which you are the trustee, the accounts at work you have a right to sign (if you are a drug store manager and can sign company checks for suppliers or payroll - whoops - you might have a problem!). It's really broad.

So, the US is like a very jealous wife. If you stray and start living in some other country, she gets cray-cray.
This sounds like a nightmare. So do you file yearly like a tax return if your accounts are over $10K, or do you just file when you actually hit $10K? How often do you have to update? Can you file it once and then not have to again, or do you have to file every time you hit a certain amount? Can you give some more info on this?

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
IvanP said:
No, that's not right. First, the IRS has Form 2555 which excludes just about $100k of foreign earned income from taxation. You still have to file a declaration, but you won't have to pay US taxes. Second, even if you didn't have Form 2555, there is a tax treaty between the US and Canada. Under the tax treaty, any tax you pay in Canada offsets tax you would otherwise have to pay in the US. So, even absent foreign earned income exclusion, if you earned $100k in Canada and paid $30k in taxes in Canada, the US would allow you to offset those $30k in taxes against any US tax owed. So, if you owed an effective rate of 28% in the US on that $100k, you'd owe nothing in the US. If your effective rate in the US was 35% when you only paid $30k in Canada, you'd owe $5k to the US (even though you weren't a resident there and didn't live there). For Canadians, if you reside in the US, you don't owe Canada anything because, although Canada taxes you on your worldwide income while you are a resident, if you aren't a resident, you don't owe anything. Finally, "living off cash" to avoid paying US taxes puts you in the tax evasion category, where there can be criminal penalties, and will also really limit your employment opportunities in Canada if you're only going to accept jobs that pay under-the-table wages. And you'll also be evading Canadian taxes, because filing Canadian taxes when you're an American takes you out of the "living off cash" category. You can live off your spouse's income, though, and then you won't pay taxes in Canada or the US ( you'll need to file in Canada to have access to some of the cool subsidies, but if you've got no income you've got nothing to file in the US!).

You are very kind to take the time explaining all this.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
MizAngel said:
This sounds like a nightmare. So do you file yearly like a tax return if your accounts are over $10K, or do you just file when you actually hit $10K? How often do you have to update? Can you file it once and then not have to again, or do you have to file every time you hit a certain amount? Can you give some more info on this?
Only for the years when you hit the $10k threshold. You might never never need to, you might just once, you might have to periodically, and some will have to file every year. If you're a mere mortal, maybe just when you buy a car or a house. If you earn more, it'll be every year. Deadlines are end of June, you can file online. There are periodically amnesties if you were required to file but didn't. Just Google FBAR.

MizAngel

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/02/2014
Doc's Request.
11/03/2014
AOR Received.
23/04/2014
File Transfer...
09/05/2014
Med's Done....
19/02/2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM 12/08/2014, CoPR 20/08/2014
LANDED..........
23/08/2014
IvanP said:
Only for the years when you hit the $10k threshold. You might never never need to, you might just once, you might have to periodically, and some will have to file every year. If you're a mere mortal, maybe just when you buy a car or a house. If you earn more, it'll be every year. Deadlines are end of June, you can file online. There are periodically amnesties if you were required to file but didn't. Just Google FBAR.
Yeesh. Thanks for the info Ivan. Will have to remember this if we ever get up that high, lol.