+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US outland applicants' thread :)

Myllie

Sep 9, 2014
Hello everyone
Wondering if anyone here sponsored a spouse with dependant children from her/his previous marriage? I am a US citizen married to a Canadian Citizen. We do not know how to handle the "occupation" question for the dependant child which is in 7th grade. The child has been attending school in Toronto without study permit. We are scare of CIC revoking Outland application if we let them know about the child attending school while waiting for mother to receive her PR.
Anyone? Any answer will be greatly appreciated.

surleplateau

Star Member
Sep 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
Doc's Request.
CSQ rqst'd 23-03-2015
Nomination.....
CSQ rcv'd 05-05-2015
AOR Received.
27-02-2015 err?
File Transfer...
09-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
09-09-2014
Interview........
waived; IP Sep 2015
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 22-10-2015
LANDED..........
09-01-2016 YAY!!!
I do not know what effect it may have that your child has been in Toronto attending school without a study permit (if it's needed), it may bother CBSA more than CIC.

However, it is NEVER a good idea to hide any information that CIC requests in their forms. Misrepresentation is the big NO-NO for CIC. Don't risk getting caught hiding information, because it could put your whole PR application in jeopardy.

Myllie

Sep 9, 2014
Thank you for your reply. We will need to disclosed the schooling information and only hope it doesn't create a huge issue and delay our sponsorship.

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
I'm headed back to Canada (from the USA) to start my new job. When I arrive there, I'll be sending in my husband (US citizen)'s outland application.
When he travels to come see me, what's the safest length of a round trip ticket to be booked? 1 month? 2 months? 3 months? …because I'm assuming they won't let him in to visit on a one-way ticket!

Is it in his favour to share that we have an outland appellation in and are waiting for approval?

I'll continue to scour the site for my info on this. But any input or shared experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
cillyx5 said:
I'm headed back to Canada (from the USA) to start my new job. When I arrive there, I'll be sending in my husband (US citizen)'s outland application.
When he travels to come see me, what's the safest length of a round trip ticket to be booked? 1 month? 2 months? 3 months? ...because I'm assuming they won't let him in to visit on a one-way ticket!

Is it in his favour to share that we have an outland appellation in and are waiting for approval?

I'll continue to scour the site for my info on this. But any input or shared experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.
I (US Citizen) have entered Canada plenty of times on a one way ticket. I just did Feb 2015, I flew into TO airport with a one way ticket. But if you want a round trip you can do 6 months since that is the time US citizens get as visitors then they have to ask for an extension.

I crossed by land Nov 2014 in my car and the officer didn't ask much. I didn't share I had an application pending. He didn't ask, I didnt share. Its not really a big deal for us. Just have all paperwork available if they ask. Don't lie about anything, if they ask share and be honest. If they don't ask there is no point in giving information that isn't asked for.

Panamai

Oct 3, 2013
Kingston, Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
29-01-2015
AOR Received.
28-03-2015
File Transfer...
31-03-2015
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
16-01-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
DM 05-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-11-2015
LANDED..........
23-11-2015
Myllie said:
Hello everyone
Wondering if anyone here sponsored a spouse with dependant children from her/his previous marriage? I am a US citizen married to a Canadian Citizen. We do not know how to handle the "occupation" question for the dependant child which is in 7th grade. The child has been attending school in Toronto without study permit. We are scare of CIC revoking Outland application if we let them know about the child attending school while waiting for mother to receive her PR.
Anyone? Any answer will be greatly appreciated.
I just looked this up on the CIC website. Do step-parents count as 'parents'? They never really defined what is meant by 'parent.'

"Exceptions: Studying without a study permit

In some cases, minor children do not need a study permit to study in Canada. These cases include:

minor children attending kindergarten;
minor children who are refugees or refugee claimants, or whose parents are refugees or refugee claimants; and
minor children who are already in Canada with parents who are allowed to work or study in Canada, and who want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school."

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Panamai said:
I just looked this up on the CIC website. Do step-parents count as 'parents'? They never really defined what is meant by 'parent.'
I appears that parents don't actually include step-parents: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/stepparent-sponsorship-t78016.0.html

It can get complicated, but family law is provincial, and the CIC has to go by federal law definitions. An information document about the B.C. Falmily Law Act says, "For example, section 146 under Part 7 Child and Spousal Support provides a definition of “parent” that includes a step-parent. This does not mean that the step parent is a legal parent. It only means that for the purpose of support, a step parent may have similar obligations to a parent." So, a step-parent may have similar obligations as a parent, but that does not make them legally a parent.

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
For "personal history", on the Schedule A -background/declaration, it asks of details on your last 10 years. At the end of the question, it states "if you were outside your country of nationality, indicate your status in that country"…
Does this mean that I need to include every trip out of the USA that I made during that time period??

Please help.

There's a giant hand that says "failure to account for all time periods will result in a delay in the processing of application"… So I'm assuming this question is pretty important.

THANKS.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cillyx5 said:
For "personal history", on the Schedule A -background/declaration, it asks of details on your last 10 years. At the end of the question, it states "if you were outside your country of nationality, indicate your status in that country"...
Does this mean that I need to include every trip out of the USA that I made during that time period??

Please help.

There's a giant hand that says "failure to account for all time periods will result in a delay in the processing of application"... So I'm assuming this question is pretty important.

THANKS.
No, at least not for short vacation or day-shopping trips. However, if you took a 6-month trip while you were unemployed then that should be declared as a period of time you were traveling.

Generally speaking, if you were employed, declare that. If you were a housewife, declare that. If you were employed through Feb 15 and then again starting March 15 you need to declare the three time periods: the two employed periods AND the time period between Feb 15 and Mar 15 too (this is what they mean by accounting for all time periods).

Hope this helps :)

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
Clear! Thanks.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cillyx5 said:
Clear! Thanks.
My pleasure!

By the way, it is good practice to keep records of all trips (or where you are every day) because you will need to declare those for the citizenship application (while it seems very far away, the day will come and you won't want to be trying to reconstruct ;)).

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
Fun fun funnnn!!! All the evidence and proving. I should have just made extra copies of everything I printed for my US green card the first go around. Ha ha.

ps. Can someone please clarify… On the "part 2", "immigration forms" for my US husband to fill out, do I need to make a second copy of the "schedule A, background/declaration -IMM 5669" and "Additional family information -IMM 5406" for ME, the Canadian citizen (his spouse) to also fill out??

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cillyx5 said:
Fun fun funnnn!!! All the evidence and proving. I should have just made extra copies of everything I printed for my US green card the first go around. Ha ha.

ps. Can someone please clarify... On the "part 2", "immigration forms" for my US husband to fill out, do I need to make a second copy of the "schedule A, background/declaration -IMM 5669" and "Additional family information -IMM 5406" for ME, the Canadian citizen (his spouse) to also fill out??
No, as a Canadian you don't need to. The instructions on the form are generic as the forms apply to applicants of all classes (and for economic classes, such as skilled workers, the whole family needs to submit that info). Essentially the instructions in the Guide supercede what the form itself says.

At least that's two less forms...

cillyx5

Star Member
Oct 13, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
AOR Received.
07-15-2015
Oh yay. Cause when I was reading the guide to "part 2: immigration forms", I thought when it said "spouse", it meant me. Guess it would have said "sponsor".
Thanks for the clarification.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cillyx5 said:
Oh yay. Cause when I was reading the guide to "part 2: immigration forms", I thought when it said "spouse", it meant me. Guess it would have said "sponsor".
Thanks for the clarification.
To further clarify, you need to complete one Additional Family Info form for your husband. On there, you include your info as 'spouse.'

You don't need to fill out your own Additional Family Info form (it's not applicable since you're Canadian).