+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen wondering if I qualify for duel citizenship

shadowguy

Oct 14, 2007
Hello all, I've recently become curious about something - whether I qualify for duel citizenship. My situation: I am a US citizen by birth (born 1984) to a mother born here and a father born in Canada (in 1947). However, my father moved here with his parents as a child, and when they became US citizens, he did as well. I looked at the citizenship pages and couldn't really see if I qualified for duel citizenship, or Canadian citizenship period. Anybody know? Thank you.

lostcanadians

Nov 21, 2008
the laws that applied in 47 took your fathers citizenship away due to the parents taking out another citizenship.

Parliament has passed a new law, Bill C-37 that should restore his (and your) citizenship. It is retroactive to birth, from my understanding of it you are considered born to a Canadian parent.. We are in a group dubbed "lost Canadians" and the bill becomes active on april 17th 2009. If you are within this group, which I think you are, your citizenship is automatic and you don;t even have to apply. You would need to apply for proof of such (a citizenship certificate) But during that time, you are Canadian none the less. The fact that it is retroactive to birth allows dual citizenship. The USA only seems to bar dual when you obtain it as an adult (by choice)

I am not positive it applies to you, but from my reading of the law, it should be.

We have created a forum for all people who are affected by this bill. Please join us at:
http://lostcanadians.ning.com/forum

You may see more on the law and a list of who WILL and who WILL NOT become a Canadian under the law at
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules-citizenship.asp

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
The US doesn't bar dual citizenship. It just doesn't recognize it. If you are a US citizen, it will treat you as a US citizen unless you renounce your citizenship in front of a US consular official.