+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US Citizen Trying to Move to Toronto

Discussion in 'Skilled Worker / Professional Immigration' started by Synthetic, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. I've been with my boyfriend who's a Canadian citizen for almost 3 years. We've been doing the travelling back and forth thing for awhile and I think it's high time I moved there. I've been looking on the internet for over a year about things and I am still confused.
    I don't know what kind of visa I need or how much money I need and so on and so forth.
    I just seen the conjugal visa which fits perfectly.
    Can someone direct me to some information that I can understand in lahmen's terms?
    Thanks all :)
  2. no one can help me? at all? what the heck? :(
  3. Hi

    1. Conjugal won't fly, there is no impediment to marriage, but if you wish to waste your time and money, go for it.
    2. Your basic choices are marriage, or common/law, which would require to live together in a "marriage like state" for 1 year to be considered common/law. at that point you could be sponsored and an in-canada application could be submitted. It would take approximately a year to receive PR status, about 8/9 months to AIP at which point you could apply for an open work permit. Note you can not work without the work permit.
    3. Apply as a skilled worker, about 2&1/2 year years to process if you qualify.
    4. Obtain a work permit with an employer who is willing to apply to HRSDC for Labour Market Opinion (LMO) that there are not any Canadians or PRs available for the job, the employer has advertised extensively in Canada, and the wages and working conditions are normal for the area.
    5. STart your reading at www.cic.gc.ca

  4. Wow, seems like a tough process with a negative result.
    Makes it seem like there's no chance for me ever moving there.
  5. Hi

    Marriage if your serious about the relationship.

  6. You could look for a job in Toronto. Since you're a US Citizen, you don't need a HRSDC confirmation. Just a job Offer will do under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA). It says that under NAFTA, citizens of both countries (US & Canada) can work in each others country provided that they acquire a Job Offer. They don't need a HRSDC confirmation for this.

    Suggest you look into this possibility.
  7. Hi

    Suggest you read the type of jobs that are available under NAFTA see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/fw/fwe.pdf page 119 It is for very specialised situations.

  8. Hey Synthetic!

    So i see this post was in 2006, what ever happened. I am currently in a similair situation and want to be there in CA asap. So if you happen to be able to log on again, I would love to hear your story. Thanks! Hoping you can bring me great news.


Share This Page