+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen to marry Canadian Citizen

beebrown

May 24, 2012
;) Hi guys! I know you guys have covered the subject over and over again, but I'm really lost with all the posts and the different answers I got from the website.

Here is my situation and I will love it if someone would give me a complete answer and I will give you as much details as I can! That's why I joined the Forum! :)

I'm a Canadian citizen (born and raised), I'm to marry a US citizen (born and raised as well)! I want to get married in Jamaica for different reasons. One of them is me and him both never been to Jamaica, and I always wanted to get married in the Carribeans.(childhood dream)

Now the plan is to have him live with me in Canada. But I do understand that it is better to apply for him Outland, and I have no problem doing that. As he will continue working in the US untill he gets his PR card. And we could still travel back and forth during the waiting period.

Now I'm wondering... When he comes to Canada and we book a flight to Jamaica, will the officers give us any kind of trouble for telling them we are going to get married there? Is it better for him to book a flight directly from the US? How long is the process for an Outland application in general? What documents/procedures can I tell him to get right away to avoid delays? I understand there is a medical and an FBI procedure? How does he go about doing that? I appreciate your help! :-* If you want more details feel free to ask me.

Occasita

Star Member
May 5, 2012
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
20-07-2012
File Transfer...
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
31-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
16-02-2013
Can't answer everything, but a a few :p

How long is the process for an Outland application?
-For Canadian-US spouses, the process seems to be faster, I'm seeing anywhere from 6 months to a year (which is average)

What can I tell him to get right away to avoid more delays?
-Order a FBI check ASAP, it takes up to 10 weeks. He will need a state-wide criminal record check as well, but that is a fast process usually (in Minnesota you can get it in 2-3 weeks). Anywhere he has lived for 6 months since 18 he will need a criminal record check.
DMP is the next thing, sometimes they can take 2-3 months to book (thought they are not supposed to), you will want to do the medical close to the date you send

beebrown

May 24, 2012
Occasita Thanks for your quick answer! Your saying 6 months to a year!!!!!! That seems to be VERY long... :(

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
For US police clearance, FBI is sufficient to be included in the application.

State criminal check is only needed on request basis. Many people weren't asked for that, me included.

beebrown

May 24, 2012
GOGOGO said:
For US police clearance, FBI is sufficient to be included in the application.

State criminal check is only needed on request basis. Many people weren't asked for that, me included.
Wouold you be kind enough to give me a link as to how to proceed to get the FBI clearance, I will send it to him. Thanks GOGOGO...

beebrown

May 24, 2012
When they say I have to apply Outland, does that mean that I have to send the Sponsorship documents to the States ( I see Buffalo everywhere???)

What does it actually mean, can somebody explain the process to me for my situation?

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
Hi beebrown

Details on obtaining FBI cert (link at the bottom of the page will take you to FBI site for forms, etc):
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

To obtain police certs in other countries, select the location from the following page:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp

Here are the outland application guidelines and forms:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

You can read the guides carefully and start gathering proofs.

When he comes to Canada, he can just tell the officer that he's coming to visit his girlfriend (you), and both of your are going to Jamaica on vacation together for says 1-2 weeks, and he will then leave for US by certain date to get back to work.

Good luck and have fun with the wedding!

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
You can take a look at the very first post in this thread, very informative:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html;msg344291#msg344291

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
beebrown said:
Occasita Thanks for your quick answer! Your saying 6 months to a year!!!!!! That seems to be VERY long... :(
That's for the whole process though. For Inland, it's 11 months JUST for the first stage. Then there's another 6 months or so after that.

Occasita

Star Member
May 5, 2012
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
20-07-2012
File Transfer...
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
31-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
16-02-2013
"State criminal check is only needed on request basis. Many people weren't asked for that, me included."

....@!%!@#!^ I went to so much trouble to get one, too x.x
Oh well, at least I have my bases covered.

beebrown

May 24, 2012
[When he comes to Canada, he can just tell the officer that he's coming to visit his girlfriend (you), and both of your are going to Jamaica on vacation together for says 1-2 weeks, and he will then leave for US by certain date to get back to work.

[/quote]

I'm just wondering about the part that he's going on vacation with his girlfriend, I mean my family will be there my friends, and I'm pretty sure they will ask us what we're all all going to do in Jamaica!! I will have a wedding dress in my luggage and I will take the wedding package with Air Transat lol

Aww Man...

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Sorry Occasita, and yes, at least you know the state didn't screwed up your record. ;)

Occasita said:
"State criminal check is only needed on request basis. Many people weren't asked for that, me included."

.... @ !%! @ #!^ I went to so much trouble to get one, too x.x
Oh well, at least I have my bases covered.

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Canada is more concerned about visitors overstaying in Canada, but not about visitors leaving the country. So normally going out of Canada should be easy, pretty much no question asked.

Coming into Canada is sometimes tricky. The tips is, keep answers simple. I'm not telling him to lie, and he shouldn't lie at all because it can cause him serious trouble. But he doesn't need to reveal his whole life story if he was not asked about.

And in fact, Canadian immigration tends to go easy on Americans. You can pay the application fees and take receipt with you. When you're back into Canada from wedding, if the immigration officer questions his intention of stay, you can show the receipt and tell the officer he's coming into Canada for a month or so to finish off the PR application forms together and he will go back to US on certain date. Take proofs of his US house or lease, utility bills, employent letter, bank account statements, etc, to show his strong ties to US. He should be fine.

Don't worry, and enjoy the sun in Jamaica, and don't forget to keep smiling in pictures! ;D

beebrown said:
I'm just wondering about the part that he's going on vacation with his girlfriend, I mean my family will be there my friends, and I'm pretty sure they will ask us what we're all all going to do in Jamaica!! I will have a wedding dress in my luggage and I will take the wedding package with Air Transat lol

Aww Man...

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
beebrown said:
[When he comes to Canada, he can just tell the officer that he's coming to visit his girlfriend (you), and both of your are going to Jamaica on vacation together for says 1-2 weeks, and he will then leave for US by certain date to get back to work.

When he leaves Canada for Jamaica, the Canadian border agents are not going to ask him anything - you don't have to go through immigration to leave the country. When he first comes to Canada before the wedding trip, you won't be with him, so the agents won't see the wedding dress. He can just say he is coming to visit his girlfriend. He should bring proof of his ties to the USA with him, especially proof of his job.
It is when he tries to come back to Canada from Jamaica that he might have trouble. I'd pay for the application and bring the proof you have paid to show you are going to be applying. He will need his proof of ties to the USA at this time as well.

Sunshine87

Apr 13, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 3, 2012
AOR Received.
July 5, 2012
File Transfer...
July 6, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 10, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 25, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 30, 2012
LANDED..........
Dec 30, 2012
beebrown said:
;) Hi guys! I know you guys have covered the subject over and over again, but I'm really lost with all the posts and the different answers I got from the website.

Here is my situation and I will love it if someone would give me a complete answer and I will give you as much details as I can! That's why I joined the Forum! :)

I'm a Canadian citizen (born and raised), I'm to marry a US citizen (born and raised as well)! I want to get married in Jamaica for different reasons. One of them is me and him both never been to Jamaica, and I always wanted to get married in the Carribeans.(childhood dream)

Now the plan is to have him live with me in Canada. But I do understand that it is better to apply for him Outland, and I have no problem doing that. As he will continue working in the US untill he gets his PR card. And we could still travel back and forth during the waiting period.

Now I'm wondering... When he comes to Canada and we book a flight to Jamaica, will the officers give us any kind of trouble for telling them we are going to get married there? Is it better for him to book a flight directly from the US? How long is the process for an Outland application in general? What documents/procedures can I tell him to get right away to avoid delays? I understand there is a medical and an FBI procedure? How does he go about doing that? I appreciate your help! :-* If you want more details feel free to ask me.
I've been in the anxious-about-boarder-crossing situation before, as I'm Canadian and my husband is American. Try not to stress too much about it, because they usually don't dig very deep into your life story.

He won't have issues when flying into Canada, like other's have said, he's just here to visit his girlfriend. Even if he did say that you're flying to Jamaica to get married, that won't affect his entry into Canada. He will probably be asked when he plans to return to the US, and what he does for work. If he doesn't have a plane ticket home, make sure he has a set date to tell them. If he says "uhhh, I don't know because haven't booked a ticket home yet", that's a red flag.

The outland process is in two steps. The first is sponsor approval, which is currently sitting at 90 days. Then step two, going through the Buffalo visa office (or New York, because Buffalo will be closing) is currently 11 months. The processing times are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

He could get the FBI check done now, since it takes quite awhile. It took my husband about 9 weeks to get them. Just make sure that you'll be about ready to have the application in the mail shortly after he receives the FBI because they have a 3 month expiry for CIC to receive it.

Take some time to read through the application guidelines, and take a peek at all the forms (to get an idea of the info you'll need to gather) Also, reading through the threads on this forum will be a wealth of knowledge when you're just starting out.

Enjoy you're Jamaican wedding! :D