+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

us citizen marrying a Canadian and moving to canada

Carmenpr

Oct 27, 2017
Where do I start? I don't know where to access the forms I need or where to send anything to--- I'm clueless! I have an idea of what needs to be done but need a clear list. We want to get married when I come up to visit, but I want to be able to stay. How do we go about this?

bafonso

Jan 21, 2017
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Cross the border to visit the girlfriend, get married and apply inland. That's one option.

Carmenpr

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. I would like to apply with the OUTLAND application as it is faster. Does anyone know where I can find that at?

Carmenpr

Oct 27, 2017
I was told I wouldn't be able to apply inland since I don't have any sort of work visa and would only be temporarily visiting Canada. I'm not a student, I live in Washington and my boyfriend lives in AB Canada. So i think the outland is our only option, and I've heard it spoken about, I'm just not sure where to find the correct outland application form at?

Reactions: Masonb6888

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You can apply inland if you are in Canada. There is no need for a work permit to apply. You can apply for an OWP when you submit your PR application. Processing for both inland and Outland is suppose to be 12 months but US applications seem to be processed fairly quick.

Chroniverous

Star Member
Aug 4, 2016
You can visit up to 6 months before having to apply for an extension to visit longer since you're from a visa exempt country :)

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
I was told I wouldn't be able to apply inland since I don't have any sort of work visa and would only be temporarily visiting Canada. I'm not a student, I live in Washington and my boyfriend lives in AB Canada. So i think the outland is our only option, and I've heard it spoken about, I'm just not sure where to find the correct outland application form at?
Hey! I was doing that journey from Washington to BC. I know the pain of being so close yet so far. I got a student visa and that gave me legal standing within Canada, yet at the time, we did outland since it was 'faster' I'm telling you now. DON'T DO OUTLAND. they now have the same processing time of 1 year. whereas before it was ~5 months outland vs 26 months inland. Now they're both a year but inland gives you Open work permit. Which I wish I had right now. If you're able to. get some legal standing in Canada. extended visitor. what ever it may be.
the only thing that might be bad about that is that if you're not already married.. it might be viewed negatively getting an extended visa then getting married. But the border agents don't have to know about that. but know how to word around it if you're asked.
you can do common-law as well, but you have live together for one year before you can apply. We did this since we didn't want to take the romance out of proposing as well as having more proof for our relationship.

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
Hello Carmenpr.

Just wanted to let you know that Outland is no longer faster than Inland for us US citizens. I also married a Canadian and foolishly applied as Outland because I thought it would be faster, however that is no longer the case. They are processing all family spousal applications within 12 months.

Apply INLAND and get a job!

Trust me, it's the way to go. I applied Outland in Feb. Quit my job in April and moved here with my wife (got a TRV to stay 6months at a time) and thought surely I'll have it within 6 months! Twas not the case.

Learn from my experience. Apply Inland, work in Canada and stay with your loved one(s).

Aug 24, 2017
Hello Carmenpr.

Just wanted to let you know that Outland is no longer faster than Inland for us US citizens. I also married a Canadian and foolishly applied as Outland because I thought it would be faster, however that is no longer the case. They are processing all family spousal applications within 12 months.

Apply INLAND and get a job!

Trust me, it's the way to go. I applied Outland in Feb. Quit my job in April and moved here with my wife (got a TRV to stay 6months at a time) and thought surely I'll have it within 6 months! Twas not the case.

Learn from my experience. Apply Inland, work in Canada and stay with your loved one(s).
Hey,
Can you elaborate on how you got a TRV as opposed to just visitor status? Is there a seperate application for that?

Carmenpr

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you Mason. I appreciate this info a ton! So basically, if I get married in the US and then send in the INLAND application paperwork to Canada, do I automatically get the open work permit? Or does that come after ive been approved?
Also what are the qualifications for applying inland if you know? If my husband and I have applied for the INLAND application and haven't yet been approved, do you think that with the marriage certificate and proof of our application that the boarder will let me stay?
Hey! I was doing that journey from Washington to BC. I know the pain of being so close yet so far. I got a student visa and that gave me legal standing within Canada, yet at the time, we did outland since it was 'faster' I'm telling you now. DON'T DO OUTLAND. they now have the same processing time of 1 year. whereas before it was ~5 months outland vs 26 months inland. Now they're both a year but inland gives you Open work permit. Which I wish I had right now. If you're able to. get some legal standing in Canada. extended visitor. what ever it may be.
the only thing that might be bad about that is that if you're not already married.. it might be viewed negatively getting an extended visa then getting married. But the border agents don't have to know about that. but know how to word around it if you're asked.
you can do common-law as well, but you have live together for one year before you can apply. We did this since we didn't want to take the romance out of proposing as well as having more proof for our relationship.

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
Thank you Mason. I appreciate this info a ton! So basically, if I get married in the US and then send in the INLAND application paperwork to Canada, do I automatically get the open work permit? Or does that come after ive been approved?
Also what are the qualifications for applying inland if you know? If my husband and I have applied for the INLAND application and haven't yet been approved, do you think that with the marriage certificate and proof of our application that the boarder will let me stay?
I never fully looked into Inland application qualifications. but I'm assuming you need to have legal standing in Canada.
so with a US citizen, you can apply OUTLAND or INLAND if you're living in Canada. not sure if it works the opposite way where if you're NOT living in Canada, but can still apply INLAND. I would look into that, So you know if your only choice might be outland.
Another thing: AVOID!!!! avoid, avoid, avoid, talking about relationship status and future plans with the border agents. once you apply, it's different since your application will come up, but it can cause problems for you if you're talking about planning to immigrate into the country.

(I've been super scared of crossing during the applications along with other reasons like random refusal (super rare especially from US.) and I didn't want to have to resubmit my police reports.)

feel free to message me if you have any questions. I'm more than willing to give you my opinion and experience, but as far as Inland, I can't help.

Chroniverous

Star Member
Aug 4, 2016
No one can really say what the border will do since it's at their discretion. It's best not to voluntarily give information unless you're asked directly then be honest. From what I've read when you apply In land you also include the Open work application which can take 3 months or so to process depending on processing times. The sponsor is required to be in Canada during the PR application process and it is strongly advised that you don't travel out of Canada for more than 3 weeks because if you're refused entry your application can be terminated. When you come to Canada you can visit up to 6 months at a time and before the 6 months is up you apply for a visitor extension. If you decide to apply In land hopefully by then you'll have the work permit approved so that you won't have to keep extending like Outland apps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: csturner92

csturner92

Star Member
Oct 18, 2016
Kamloops, BC
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
App. Filed.......
20-02-2017
AOR Received.
07-03-2017
Once my application had been received and I linked it I told them when crossing the border I wanted to apply for a trv so I could stay with my wife while our application processes. They brought me in for a quick interview and gave me the trv 20 minute later.

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
Once my application had been received and I linked it I told them when crossing the border I wanted to apply for a trv so I could stay with my wife while our application processes. They brought me in for a quick interview and gave me the trv 20 minute later.
I don't handle authority well for some reason. I'm innocent, but if I have to do an unplanned interview at the border. I would/will be crying. When I got my study permit I was sweating and they questioned my intentions and I started to tear up until my boyfriend explained I'm mostly useless when faced with questions from authority and something important is at stake. I have no idea what it is, but I break down.

Reactions: Alex54321