+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen living in US - questions

itsjason

Apr 28, 2019
Greetings everyone! my name is Jason and my wife and i received our ITA in December, and our AOR on Jan 22, 2019. We've cleared medical, had our biometrics confirmed, and really just waiting on PPR right now. As we wait, we had a few questions. Any insight would help tremendously!

1. Can we travel to Canada (Alberta) in advance of our final 'landing' to do any sort of house hunting if we have our PPR completed? Any impact on taxes (like when we would bring over our goods)? Because of our proximity to Canada, we'd like to try and sign a lease for a place to rent before bringing our goods.

2. As US citizens living in US, do we need to send original passports for PPR? Or just photocopies? This would impact our ability to travel to Canada to house hunt before/after PPR.

3. Recommended international moving companies? Or tips/tricks? we live in upper midwest of US.

4. Any tips / advice on finding a place (rental) that does not require income statement from an employer? more than likely we'll be moving without a Canadian job. we have plenty of funds. i know some property owners allow you to pay up front the last 3 or 4 months of rent that will work without having a current pay stub?

Thanks in advance! Best wishes to all in your Canadian journey!

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Greetings everyone! my name is Jason and my wife and i received our ITA in December, and our AOR on Jan 22, 2019. We've cleared medical, had our biometrics confirmed, and really just waiting on PPR right now. As we wait, we had a few questions. Any insight would help tremendously!

1. Can we travel to Canada (Alberta) in advance of our final 'landing' to do any sort of house hunting if we have our PPR completed? Any impact on taxes (like when we would bring over our goods)? Because of our proximity to Canada, we'd like to try and sign a lease for a place to rent before bringing our goods.

Since as a US citizen you can travel to Canada without visa it should not impact anything.

2. As US citizens living in US, do we need to send original passports for PPR? Or just photocopies? This would impact our ability to travel to Canada to house hunt before/after PPR.

Only photocopies

3. Recommended international moving companies? Or tips/tricks? we live in upper midwest of US.

No suggestions here.

4. Any tips / advice on finding a place (rental) that does not require income statement from an employer? more than likely we'll be moving without a Canadian job. we have plenty of funds. i know some property owners allow you to pay up front the last 3 or 4 months of rent that will work without having a current pay stub?

From what I know landlords can't demand more than 1 (or 2) month rent in advance in Ontario. It is illegal. I would guess it would be similar in other provinces. You are correct even I have heard having a Canadian job and paystub helps. But, if you think about it landlord just want to make sure you will be able to pay rent and if you have good amount of funds I think you can just show the bank statement and convince the prospective landlords. Also, my guess is being a US citizen would work in your advantage in these scenarios.

Thanks in advance! Best wishes to all in your Canadian journey![/QUOTE]