+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

US citizen and Canadian PR holder

R

rish888

Alurra71 has nailed the thought behind my decision. The "intent" clause caused a US citizen an issue. There were couple of supreme court cases regarding stripping US citizenship from someone who had it.
Not only that, one of the US passport renewal asked whether you have been naturalized elsewhere for US naturalization. This was a red flag for me. The latest passport renewal form doesn't have that question. Laws are only as good as interpreted by the harshest prosecutor. The two landmark supreme court cases Afroyim v Rusk(1967) and Vance v Terrazas (1980) which made clear that persons intent had to be present along with the action before stripping citizenship.
State department currently has guidance regarding this i.e. persons intent had to be clear and they would ask the person if he/she intended to give it up. However, if the guidance changes, which could, under current administration, then you would be left to fight the case in courts which could take years. For example, guidance changed for green card holders when Trump signed his travel ban, many green card holders were turned away or were asked to sign 407 form giving up their green card status. It wasn't until Washington court stopped the ban but by then over 700 people were turned away from the border. Nobody in this country ever thought a green card holder rights would be diminished so much so, that they would be getting turned away from the border. There are other examples of guidance changes that I can cite.
Even though myself, Alurra are on the side of extreme, extreme caution and its most likely not to happen, I am still choosing to stay away from Canadian naturalization for now.
A far as your statement on LPR's go, America is not Canada. LPR's in America have no rights, it is considered a privilege. It is illogical to compare what happened to LPR's to what could possibly happen to American citizens.

I am not here to tell you what you should and shouldn't do, that is 100% your choice based on your circumstances. However, I stand by my original statement that no way would there be a day where Dual American-Candians lose their American citizenship.

While it may be plausible (though highly improbable) that America could try to create laws such as forbidding dual citizenship for naturalized citizens or something of that sort, there is no way that the current administration could gather the popular support needed to start revoking the citizenship of natural-born Americans.

It's your call, but whatever you do you gotta act now if you wanna have a choice.

zeeshan35

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its not illogical if you look at the changes the current administration is making for immigrants, there are numerous from changes to H1b program to the ongoing CARRP program for citizenship applicants. I cant even start to list the changes here. However, the two cases I cited both of them had their citizenship stripped, one for voting in a different country and the other one lost it after getting citizenship in Mexico. That is what happened already in the past.
However, I do value to your opinion because it benefits everyone.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Its not illogical if you look at the changes the current administration is making for immigrants, there are numerous from changes to H1b program to the ongoing CARRP program for citizenship applicants. I cant even start to list the changes here. However, the two cases I cited both of them had their citizenship stripped, one for voting in a different country and the other one lost it after getting citizenship in Mexico. That is what happened already in the past.
just decide CANADA or USA

R

rish888

The current administration is making lot of changes for immigrants, I agree. The operative word is immigrant. You have a very, very different set of rights compared to those of foreign nationals.

Even under some worst case scenario if the administration was so inclined to strip the citizenship of dual nationals, it is not something that would happen overnight. No matter how crazy or how illogical the administration is, it is most definitely not something that can happen overnight.

Even in your worst case scenario, if the state department was going to change their position, you would definitely have more than enough time to renounce your Canadian citizenship if you don't want to jeopardize your American citizenship. (and fyi people who renounce Canadian citizenship become Permanent residents.)

Even if you want to steer clear of naturalization, you can still move to Canada today and live and work there as a permanent resident and after 2 years get your PR card renewed. There is no law dictating you need to get naturalized.

Your situation right now is all reward no risk. You gotta make a choice if you want to live in Canada or not, because one day you're not gonna be as lucky as you have in the past.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
US Citizen/Canadian PR weighing in here. I have spoken with several lawyers about the possibility about eventually becoming a dual citizen. These have ranged from corporate tax attorneys to civil rights attorneys to immigration attorneys. Each has basically said the same thing: as a US Citizen by birth, the only way they're going to strip me of my US citizenship is if I willingly give it up.

Reactions: rish888

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
You are taking this to an extreme here. I am familiar with the "intent" clause, however possible loss of U.S. citizenship due to acquiring foreign nationality would only be possible if the person "becomes naturalized with an intent to terminate U.S. citizenship."
If you think Alurra is being extreme, check out posts from "Natan" on this board. He will scare you into never even trying to apply for another citizenship.

But yes, I agree that in the vast majority of cases, it is a non-issue. I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen. I was born in the US and became a Canadian citizen in 2013. No issues so far.

zeeshan35

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the issue with dual citizenship is easier to deal with as opposed to mine. For me it will my third citizenship, I have a birth citizenship then a naturalized US citizenship and Canadian will be after that.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I think the issue with dual citizenship is easier to deal with as opposed to mine. For me it will my third citizenship, I have a birth citizenship then a naturalized US citizenship and Canadian will be after that.
Really, how many citizenship’s does one need? All that time acquiring residency in a new country seems to be wasted...

zeeshan35

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its never enough, :) just kidding.
It depends on the persons circumstances, with Canada and US being next to each other, its easier as compared to someone trying to get Canada and New Zealands citizenship.