+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Work Permit Extension: What other Visa to apply for

Serenity

May 18, 2013
I arrived in Canada 3 months ago with a Closed Work Permit through PNP (Permanent Residency application is still being processed) I have applied for a new work permit because I had to get a new passport since my work permit is only valid as long as my passport. I applied over 30 days before expiration of WP.

Now, I am not very clear about what other type of visa I have to apply for. I came across this "If you are from a visa-required country, make sure that your visa is valid to cover the period of your extension. If not, you will need to apply for a new visa." on the WP extension page CIC
1. Do I apply for visitor visa extension? (but I came here as a worker)
or
2. Do I apply for a new (TRV) from within Canada

"If you are a temporary resident in Canada with valid status (that is, you have a valid study permit or work permit), you can apply for a new temporary resident visa to return to Canada before you leave.

You can apply in Canada if:

you are a legally admitted

student or

foreign worker"

I am not planning to leave Canada soon

Has anybody been in the same position?

I am trying to avoid getting my WP refused because I do not have a Visa. I was hoping to apply for a visa after my work permit has been approved.

Can someone kindly help me clarify these issues.

Thanks

Dimi2015

Star Member
Jun 8, 2015
BC
LANDED..........
04-2018
Did you say you are applying for a work permit because you need to apply for a new passport?
Im confused... you should have done renewing passport first, then apply for a new work permit. Why? They will base the validity of your wp on your new passport

You dont need to renew visa if you are renewing WP. You need valid visa only if you are planning to leave and come back in canada.

Serenity

May 18, 2013
Dimi2015, My passport came close to expiration while waiting for my initial work permit which took almost 9 months to be approved and I couldn't renew my passport because it must not be more than 6 months before expiring and all that rules.
So, I recently renewed the passport and have applied for work permit extension.

Thank you for the information! It is so hard to know everything about Canada immigration, but i'm glad I don't need a visa to get my WP approved.