+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

**URGENT - Travel Document Application - COPR Held by Canada Visa Office**

puneetpahuja

May 26, 2013
Dear All,

My family has run into a major issue, and would need your assistance on the way out.
After short landing as PR with me in October last year, my family went back to India.

Now, after having settled here, I am in process of calling my family to Canada next month.
However, since my younger son had still NOT received his PR card due to photograph issues, we applied for his travel document at the Canada Visa Office in Delhi (India) earlier this month.

While submitting my son's application for travel document, the Visa Office submitted his original COPR document, mentioning that COPR will be returned after the travel document is issued.

However, after issuing the travel document, Visa Office held his COPR and are now refusing to release it from their custody.
According to them, my son does NOT need a COPR, as he has the travel document, which can be used as his proof of PR status, until he gets his PR card.

According to me, the Visa Office in Delhi (India) has flouted the standard process, and is now trying to impose their decision due to their incompetence or lack of process awareness. My stand is, that Visa Office should return his COPR , as it is a critical document that establishes his landing information (Date of Landing, Port of Entry etc.)

Has anyone encountered such an issue, and is there a solution to this issue?

Would appreciate your prompt inputs on the following points:

1) What are the implications of losing the original COPR document? Will my son be asked for his COPR at the Toronto airport, when we land together as a family next month?

From a long term perspective, what are the caveats of not having a COPR? My understanding is that without a COPR, my son cannot apply for OHIP, Drivers License, Bank Account, or Canadian Citizenship.

2) In case we do not receive my son's orginal COPR document, should we apply for "Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document"?

Will the replacement COPR document have the correct Date of Landing, Port of Entry, and other parameters, just as on the original COPR document?

3) If getting the original COPR document is the only way out, what would the quickest and most logical escalation process, to ensure we get the it back from the Canada Visa Office in India?

I will be traveling to India earlier next month to get my family, and will only have a week to follow-up on this issue.

Looking forward to your response. Appreciate your time and support.

Thanks and Regards,

Puneet Pahuja

artray

Jan 19, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 Feb
AOR Received.
24 Feb
Med's Done....
22 Feb
Passport Req..
14 June
VISA ISSUED...
23 June
LANDED..........
11 Jan
puneetpahuja said:
Dear All,

My family has run into a major issue, and would need your assistance on the way out.
After short landing as PR with me in October last year, my family went back to India.

Now, after having settled here, I am in process of calling my family to Canada next month.
However, since my younger son had still NOT received his PR card due to photograph issues, we applied for his travel document at the Canada Visa Office in Delhi (India) earlier this month.

While submitting my son's application for travel document, the Visa Office submitted his original COPR document, mentioning that COPR will be returned after the travel document is issued.

However, after issuing the travel document, Visa Office held his COPR and are now refusing to release it from their custody.
According to them, my son does NOT need a COPR, as he has the travel document, which can be used as his proof of PR status, until he gets his PR card. They are right; you need COPR only during your first landing - after that, you are suppose to use your PR card. In your son's case, you need to use a PRTD. Read info at:

http://e.focalattractions.com.au/t/d-l-tjtlluk-jlduwtdk-j/

However, they should have returned the COPR regardless of whether your son needs it or not because it is a very important document to have for record-keeping purposes.

According to me, the Visa Office in Delhi (India) has flouted the standard process, and is now trying to impose their decision due to their incompetence or lack of process awareness. My stand is, that Visa Office should return his COPR , as it is a critical document that establishes his landing information (Date of Landing, Port of Entry etc.)

Has anyone encountered such an issue, and is there a solution to this issue?

Would appreciate your prompt inputs on the following points:

1) What are the implications of losing the original COPR document? Will my son be asked for his COPR at the Toronto airport, when we land together as a family next month? As long as he has a valid PRTD, he should be fine.

From a long term perspective, what are the caveats of not having a COPR? My understanding is that without a COPR, my son cannot apply for OHIP, Drivers License, Bank Account, or Canadian Citizenship. All these facilities are based on the PR card, not COPR (based on my understanding). COPR is primary for your social security number, which you probably need for all these elements. Here's a link about COPR uses and what to do if you lose it: http://settlement.org/ontario/immigration-citizenship/landing-and-leaving/landing-in-canada/do-i-need-to-keep-my-confirmation-of-permanent-residence-copr-document/

2) In case we do not receive my son's orginal COPR document, should we apply for "Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document"? VOS is your best bet: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp You can also use the IRCC help centre: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=044&top=12

Will the replacement COPR document have the correct Date of Landing, Port of Entry, and other parameters, just as on the original COPR document? The VOS will most probably have all this.

3) If getting the original COPR document is the only way out, what would the quickest and most logical escalation process, to ensure we get the it back from the Canada Visa Office in India? Contact IRCC help centre and instead of focusing on his COPR, try and get his PR card faster.

I will be traveling to India earlier next month to get my family, and will only have a week to follow-up on this issue.

Looking forward to your response. Appreciate your time and support.

Thanks and Regards,

Puneet Pahuja
I am not an expert on this topic. Tried to reply because I saw no one else had yet. Please wait for responses from other members. Good luck!