+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent-surgery in Alberta - still haven't got health coverage

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Hi everybody,
I am temp worker in Alberta. Landed 5 months ago and got my Alberta health coverage. 2 weeks ago my spouse move to Canada, she also has open work permit and will stay in Canada more than a year, but we did not have chance to apply for her health coverage.
Unfortunately she has incident yesterday and they made her surgery. As she did not had Alberta health care card yet I signed financial agreement at hospital and they will send me the bill. They mentioned that if she get coverage they will cancel the bill. Any suggestions as to what to do. Do I go tomorrow to apply for her health cars, add her on my own, call somwhere? Wait for the bill then go somewhere and explain?
I am confused, it would be costly so any help will be much appreciated
Thanks

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
I suggest you to call the Alberta Health Council (or whatever the name is) so that can clarify whether she is eligible to be covered right away under the provincial coverage in Alberta.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should contact AB health immediately. She should be eligible for first day coverage so hopefully she should be covered even though you did not apply yet.

actonis

Star Member
Dec 11, 2013
Thanks for the info guys

Just to let you know that I was able to get the Alberta Healt care number and they send new bills to Alberta Health Care services.
That was awesome. Thank you Canada :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
actonis said:
Thanks for the info guys

Just to let you know that I was able to get the Alberta Healt care number and they send new bills to Alberta Health Care services.
That was awesome. Thank you Canada :)
It is always good to hear about a happy ending :)

However, you should say "Thank you Alberta" because in some provinces, she would not have been covered.