+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: Suggestion needed regarding passport sending

saikatz

Dec 10, 2011
Dear friends,

Background: I am in Finland, my wife is in Canada. Family class sponsorship (spousal PR). CHC London.

Situation: After almost 1.5 years of processing, CHC asked for my passport on 2nd January. I have sent it through EMS Special delivery from Finland to London on 7th Januaury and postal service lost my passport. After a huge mess, police report, negotiation with my country's embassy and sleepless nights I received a new passport on 18th January (note I have to send it by 30th Januaury to London).

Questions: I am really scared to send it by Government postal service now. In the CHC letter it was mentioned that you can send passport by courier but add one self addressed envelope and do not put courier envelope with it. And CHC will send back the passport by registered mail (which i DON'T want at all now!). I have read in forums that passport issued with visa also gets lost from CHC London while coming to the owners and the postal service is not reliable at all. Since I lost my passport once I am super sensitive now about this issue.

How can I ask CHC that I really want them to send my passport via DHL? I will add one DHL envelope and I will pay for all the charges. I am thinking of adding an explanation letter but do you think CHC will care and send it via DHL?

Your experiences / suggestions is highly appreciated.

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
This is a really scary situation. If I were you, I would fly to London and hand in the passport myself. I'm sure they will put the visa in on the same day if you explain the situation. A round trip from Finland to London for next week is a bit under 200 euros.
But that's just me, I wouldn't mind spending that money as long as I will make sure my passport doesn't get lost again.

Another solution would be to include a pre-paid DHL express envelope and, like you said, write a cover letter to explain the situation. Tell them your passport got lost the first time you sent it, and hope they will sympathize with you.

saikatz

Dec 10, 2011
Thank you Avadava,

I was also thinking of going to UK and submit it personally. But there are few problems:

1) CHC London only accept "in person" submission only on Wednesday 8-10 AM, which can be a risky situation for me as I have about 10 days only ( 2 weekends too).

2) Getting UK visa is short time is also a problem, UK embassy is not friendly at all (i guess no embassy is), so I am not sure if I can get the visa to go there. Plus UK border agency has the right to deport anyone if they want (if you still have a valid visa). So if I am unlucky, they might refuse me to get in (new handwritten passport, Finnish visa does not shows New passport number etc).

I will try my luck with DHL this time with pre-paid envelope. Just wondering, do you know any phone number of CHC London where I can call and explain the situations and request them to use DHL instead?

Avadava

Oct 11, 2013
Vancouver
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
December 3, 2013
AOR Received.
Stage 1 AOR + SA January 8, 2014
File Transfer...
January 12, 2014
Med's Request
Further Medical Tests Requested: October 24, 2013
Med's Done....
October 15, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
October 20, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
October 27, 2014
LANDED..........
January 17, 2015
In my personal experience, they don't usually answer the phone, but take a look at this: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/contact-contactez.aspx?lang=eng

You can also send inquiries by email:

Enquiries General: www.canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visas/contact_visa_contactez.aspx

Case specific: https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/case-cas-eng.aspx?mission=london