+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT! Study Permit extension refused, what are my options?

lovejinny

Mar 1, 2014
Hi everyone,

My application to extend my study permit has been refused, and my original co-op Visa expired on February 8, 2014. From reading the forums, it looks like I may have up to 90 days to apply for a Restoration of Status.

However, the refusal letter I received from CIC states that I "must leave Canada on or before the expiry of your current document or, if your document has expired you must leave Canada immediately. Failure to do so could result in enforcement action being taken against you."

What are my options? Can I still apply for a Restoration of Status, or do I need to return to my home country, apply for a Study Permit/Visitor Permit, then return to Canada?

Thanks!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If your application to extend was refused, what status were you planning to restore? I think that you have to obey the instructions...

bazbezoon

Feb 16, 2014
lovejinny said:
Hi everyone,

My application to extend my study permit has been refused, and my original co-op Visa expired on February 8, 2014. From reading the forums, it looks like I may have up to 90 days to apply for a Restoration of Status.

However, the refusal letter I received from CIC states that I "must leave Canada on or before the expiry of your current document or, if your document has expired you must leave Canada immediately. Failure to do so could result in enforcement action being taken against you."

What are my options? Can I still apply for a Restoration of Status, or do I need to return to my home country, apply for a Study Permit/Visitor Permit, then return to Canada?

Thanks!!

The restoration of statues is for those who have over-stated after the expiry of their study permit or legal statues, the person with expired statues will have 90 days to restore his statues once it expires and with the condition that they apply from within Canada, within the 90 days grace period, and must meet the original conditions upon which they obtained their lost statues.

If you have been already refused and asked to leave Canada, you must obey, that is most likely a departure order which means you must leave Canada within 30 days or else it will automatically become a deportation order, in that case you will be banned from Canada forever, however if you voluntarily leave Canada within the 30 days then you may return to Canada subject to regular processing and eligibility examination.

I am waiting for a decision regarding my restoration of status and extension of study permit, and I as well will most likely be refused and asked to leave, it sucks but what can we do, I'm already packed and ready to leave : (

bazbezoon

Feb 16, 2014
lovejinny said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!!

Question, What was your statues? i'm assuming your co-op visa is different than your study permit, in that case (i might be wrong) you might be able to apply to restore your co-op visa, call CIC and inquire please

lovejinny

Mar 1, 2014
Thank you for the replies.

My co-op visa included a work permit and study permit, both with an expiry date of February 8. I submitted an application for a study permit back in November 2013 and was only notified yesterday that it had been refused.

I'm still really confused, so hopefully somebody can help answer my silly/stupid questions:

1. Is the letter I received regarding the decision of my application for a Study Permit the same thing as a departure order? If so, does the 90 day period not apply in my case?

2. How will CIC know that I have left Canada on time? I am considering leaving very soon, but I don't want to receive a deportation order after I have already left.

3. After leaving, will I be able to re-enter Canada right away as a visitor? If so, will I be able to stay until the date specified in the passport stamp?

I really need to be in Canada for a very important event in April so I'm hoping it is just a matter of re-applying from within Canada...

Thanks again for your time everyone!

bazbezoon

Feb 16, 2014
lovejinny said:

My co-op visa included a work permit and study permit, both with an expiry date of February 8. I submitted an application for a study permit back in November 2013 and was only notified yesterday that it had been refused.

I'm still really confused, so hopefully somebody can help answer my silly/stupid questions:

1. Is the letter I received regarding the decision of my application for a Study Permit the same thing as a departure order? If so, does the 90 day period not apply in my case?

2. How will CIC know that I have left Canada on time? I am considering leaving very soon, but I don't want to receive a deportation order after I have already left.

3. After leaving, will I be able to re-enter Canada right away as a visitor? If so, will I be able to stay until the date specified in the passport stamp?

I really need to be in Canada for a very important event in April so I'm hoping it is just a matter of re-applying from within Canada...

did you apply online or by mail in Nov 2013? you need to find out the date in which your application was finalized, generally speaking, if you applied Nov 1st, the processing time is minimum of 46 days, so that will jump to Dec 16, lets say your application was refused on Dec 16, then your 90 days grace period to re-apply for restoration should end on March 16, so I am assuming you still have time to re-apply for restoration, now the thing is, how were you notified that your study permit was refused? by mail or online? what does it exactly say in regards to leaving? usually the CIC officer will state that you have 90 days to apply for restoration if you're within the 90 days grace period, a departure order is usually issued for refusals that happen after the 90 days, not before. so you need to know where you stand at the moment.

If you've been issued a departure order, and did not leave within 30 days, then it becomes a deportation order, and once you leave Canada, you will not be allowed to re-enter, even if you're from a visa except country, the only way to re-enter Canada while having a deportation order on file, is to obtain an ARC (authorization to re-enter Canada) which you have to apply for through the border service agency, it takes approximately two months to obtain an ARC, depending on your case, but lets hope that you won't need any of that.

if you were not issued with a departure order, and you're in the clear, then you can leave Canada, and re-enter as a visitor normally with no problems.

now if you need to be in Canada for April, then hopefully your 90 days grace period is still valid, as I mentioned above, which should end around March 16 according to the submission date you provided, in that case, file your application online on the last day of the 90 days period, (you need to know exactly which day that is because on day 91 you will not be able to apply) so lets say you apply March 16th, the application will take 46 days, which will jump you through April, also even if it was refused, you will be issued with a departure order, and you will have another 30 days to leave.

I hope that helps, I am also in a mess right now, i've done extensive research to learn the immigration law, you have to be careful and not break the law, you have to be responsible to learn it and abide by it. I am trying to restore my statues and finish my degree, good luck to you, and to me :D

Let me know if you have any other questions

bazbezoon

Feb 16, 2014
lovejinny said:

Ok, so if the expiry date of your statues is February 8th, then your 90 days grace period should end on the beginning of May to be safe, you should be eligible to apply for restoration, Almost certain you are, just call CIC and confirm just in case, you just need to make sure that you were not issued with a departure order.

Josh21

Oct 27, 2012
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Done....
01-09-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
05-12-2012
Ill just ask since no one else has yet.

Why was your application refused to begin with? I mean did they give a reason or do you know why?

People can guide you better if they know the whole story

YUPPPP

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
Josh21 said:
Ill just ask since no one else has yet.

Why was your application refused to begin with? I mean did they give a reason or do you know why?

People can guide you better if they know the whole story
I agree with Josh. Beesides if you were on coop, why didnt you applied for extension, but instead applied for a study permit again. Cam it be that if you have applied for an extension, you may have been granted.

Its really important for you to know why u were refused. if they havent told you then you have a right to ask them.

hope it works out...

YUPPPP

Star Member
Oct 28, 2013
I have a question.

Since i will be studying a two yr course in Canada, if i get a visa insha allah. after that two yrs i can apply for work permit for two years right?

and while i am on that ... if i want to study, can i apply an given a study permit as well or will it be denied? or will either study permit denied or existing work permit cancelled?

bazbezoon

Feb 16, 2014
YUPPPP said:
I have a question.

Since i will be studying a two yr course in Canada, if i get a visa insha allah. after that two yrs i can apply for work permit for two years right?

and while i am on that ... if i want to study, can i apply an given a study permit as well or will it be denied? or will either study permit denied or existing work permit cancelled?

Salam, after finishing your studies, you can apply for a post-graduate-work- permit PGWP, it will likely be valid for the original duration of your program, if your program is 2 years, you may receive either a 1 year or 2 year work permit.

If you didn't want to work, but wanted to continue your education, you may apply for a change of condition and a new study permit.

If you maintain attendance and graduate on time with a decent academic standing, you will most likely face no problems at all.

Hope that helped

ayoinc

Star Member
Dec 5, 2013
Don't risk it, if you try this on your own, you may be deported.

You either leave now and apply from your home country or you seek a legal advice. Wow! I can't even try to overstay my visa. Right now to me your status is "illegal immigrant".

bazbezoon

Feb 16, 2014
ayoinc said:
Don't risk it, if you try this on your own, you may be deported.

You either leave now and apply from your home country or you seek a legal advice. Wow! I can't even try to overstay my visa. Right now to me your status is "illegal immigrant".
Don't be so naive, first of all, based on what facts did you conclude that this person is an illegal immigrant? don't ever downgrade people, you are clearly speaking out of your behind, even if this person's extension application was refused, there is still a grace period of 90 days to re-apply, it does not necessarily mean that it is over, we don't know all the information so no one can say this person is illegal or not yet.

Please be more considerate of people's feelings, having an application get refused, is not a very fun thing, it is very stressful and troublesome. don't add insult to injury and scare them more, one day it could happen to you too.

Thanks

lovejinny

Mar 1, 2014
To answer some of the questions...

-I applied for my study permit by mail in November
-The refusal letter is dated January 28 and came in the mail February 28
-They said it was refused because I didn't send them the additional information they requested on time. I didn't even see this request because it went to my junk mailbox (e-mail), and I had never thought to check my junk mail because all the letters I received from CIC in Canada came physically by mail.

Thanks for the replies. I will double check with CIC and a lawyer as soon as possible to make sure the 90 day grace period applies to me.

acca247

Mar 28, 2011
Visa Office......
CDHC,LAGOS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
RECEIVED ON 4TH APRIL,2011
IELTS Request
NOT REQUIRED
Med's Request
13TH JULY,2011
Med's Done....
26TH JULY,2011
Interview........
4TH JULY,2011
Passport Req..
SUBMITTED TO CDHC ON 27TH JULY,2011
lovejinny said:
To answer some of the questions...

-I applied for my study permit by mail in November
-The refusal letter is dated January 28 and came in the mail February 28
-They said it was refused because I didn't send them the additional information they requested on time. I didn't even see this request because it went to my junk mailbox (e-mail), and I had never thought to check my junk mail because all the letters I received from CIC in Canada came physically by mail.

Thanks for the replies. I will double check with CIC and a lawyer as soon as possible to make sure the 90 day grace period applies to me.
with your little explanation,I believe you stand a chance. Please get in touch with an immigration lawyer. I wish you all the best.