+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent question regarding returning on Indian passport

getstrngth

May 3, 2012
I've got my Canadian oath ceremony mail on Jan 17, which I had to reschedule for unavoidable reasons. Now I received new date on Feb 8(I didn't receive any email and got it through post sent to my friend's address in Canada and she checked her mail only today). Since I live in US, I have to travel for my oath. My PR expired on Sept 2018. I had to drive from Niagara for my citizenship test. I think I've to do the same. Would appreciate if any of you have any suggestions. I have to return back to US immediately due to family commitments. I've following questions.

Q1. Can I return back with my Indian passport and later obtain Canadian passport?
Q2. I need to change my US visa from Indian passport to Canadian passport. Any idea how to do it?

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Q1 I think it is possible. If you have 4 days you can also wait 2 Days after oath, apply for express passport and then get it in 2 days.
Q2 What visa are you trying to move from Indian passport to Canadian? B1 b2? L1? h1?
I do not think it is possible .you don't need b1 as Canadian passport holders can cross the border without a visa .

getstrngth

May 3, 2012
Thank you very much @xylene for responding.
I've more doubts.

Q1. Since the oath ceremony is on Friday, Can i apply for passport on Monday? Latest will be getting by Friday?
Q2. I will be entering US on H4. Do I need to book an appointment with the US consulate to change my h4 stamping from Indian passport to Canadian?

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Q1 you have to wait 2 business days. So the earliest is Tuesday..
Q2 sorry I am not familiar with this.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
I think as a Canadian citizen you do not need an h4 visa

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you very much @xylene for responding.
I've more doubts.

Q1. Since the oath ceremony is on Friday, Can i apply for passport on Monday? Latest will be getting by Friday?

They ask you to wait at least 2 business days. However, practically, as far as I've heard, you can apply as soon as ECAS status shows 'Completed'. If it shows 'Completed' on Monday, you can try and request urgent processing of your passport and get it ASAP.

Q2. I will be entering US on H4. Do I need to book an appointment with the US consulate to change my h4 stamping from Indian passport to Canadian?

I'm not sure about this and I'll let others answer this.

luvCan

Jan 1, 2018
1. I think you can go back to US with Indian passport and apply for Canadian passport from US. Process is simple.

2. You need H4 on Canadian passport. Can you call USCIS and ask ? I did research and it was not clear.

niagara2807

Apr 23, 2017
I've got my Canadian oath ceremony mail on Jan 17, which I had to reschedule for unavoidable reasons. Now I received new date on Feb 8(I didn't receive any email and got it through post sent to my friend's address in Canada and she checked her mail only today). Since I live in US, I have to travel for my oath. My PR expired on Sept 2018. I had to drive from Niagara for my citizenship test. I think I've to do the same. Would appreciate if any of you have any suggestions. I have to return back to US immediately due to family commitments. I've following questions.

Q1. Can I return back with my Indian passport and later obtain Canadian passport?
Q2. I need to change my US visa from Indian passport to Canadian passport. Any idea how to do it?
Q1A. You can return back on your Indian passport since you are on H4 US visa.
You can obtain Canadian passport from US.
Q2A. Once you have a valid US visa - there is nothing like changing on to Canadian passport....since that visa is valid - they do not have to issue a new one.

My advise: You could apply for Canadian passport either on Monday or Tuesday depending on complete status on ECAS and one can apply for urgent passport (need to pay more) and it would come by Thursday. Return on Canadian passport.
The reason I say so and might sound contradictory to above answers is because you are on H4 which is based on H1B of your spouse. If your spouse has changed status from one profession to another and even though on H1...it needs no new stamping as long as one is in US but once stepped out...things change. Your status of H4 is dependent on H1...I hope you get my point. If there is no change, and have a valid H4 you can return back on your Indian passport.

Last edited:

getstrngth

May 3, 2012
Thank you very much everyone (@xylene @rajkamalmohanram @luvCan @niagara2807 ). for helping me out. Oath went well. I traveled back the same day with my Indian passport. I'm going to apply for my Canadian passport. I've the following questions.
Q1. On the passport application, says that plan your trip before you leave the country. Hope it will not cause any issue.
Q2. I will be sending my document to my friend in Canada. They will be my guarantors. IThey will be mailing it on my behalf. Again I hope its not an issue
Q3. Since I'm on H4, lawyer said I will not be requiring visa anymore and just need H4 approval. But just to confirm, want will happen to my visa on my Indian passport? Also, will I be questioned for changing status inside the country? How long can I stay?
Q4. Can I hold my Indian passsport till I receive my Canadaian passport? Can I apply for OCI after that?
Q5. Will my citizenship be of any benefit for my husband how is on H1B visa ?

luvCan

Jan 1, 2018
Thank you very much everyone (@xylene @rajkamalmohanram @luvCan @niagara2807 ). for helping me out. Oath went well. I traveled back the same day with my Indian passport. I'm going to apply for my Canadian passport. I've the following questions.
Q1. On the passport application, says that plan your trip before you leave the country. Hope it will not cause any issue.
Q2. I will be sending my document to my friend in Canada. They will be my guarantors. IThey will be mailing it on my behalf. Again I hope its not an issue
Q3. Since I'm on H4, lawyer said I will not be requiring visa anymore and just need H4 approval. But just to confirm, want will happen to my visa on my Indian passport? Also, will I be questioned for changing status inside the country? How long can I stay?
Q4. Can I hold my Indian passsport till I receive my Canadaian passport? Can I apply for OCI after that?
Q5. Will my citizenship be of any benefit for my husband how is on H1B visa ?

Hi,
How did the process go ? Was there any issue in changing H4 inside US ?

luvCan

Jan 1, 2018
Ok, I am in L1 inside US.when I come for oath, I am planning to stay few days extra and collect my Canadian passport in Canada and present myself at the border with the new Canadian passport and old visa in Indian passport. My immigration lawyer thinks should be okay