+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[URGENT] Question about Immigration Officers and TRV [URGENT]

May 7, 2014
Good morning all,

I was just wondering, I (Turkish Citizen) am planning to go to Canada around the beginning of July till late August and I'm going to submit my visa application this weekend, everything is in order and all information I have provided is true in my application.

One problem though, I will not be booking any kind of hotel/rental in advance since I'm staying in Toronto for about two months. I would like to show up to my three choices and book on the day I arrive and check the places out as I know their availability.

My question, will the Immigration Officers in the airport ask me anything about where I am staying as one of their questions? And will me explaining that I've found 3 places and wish to see them before booking satisfy them enough to let me pass through?
And a bonus question, do hotel bookings pr where I'll be staying need to be included in the Purpose of Travel or Itinerary documents?

I am held up on this and would really like to submit my application.

Thank you so much in advance for any replies or insight! ;D

Edit: Please, I need more information on this, if you're reading just drop a line

kewl

Star Member
Sep 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Riyadh Online TRV
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-04-2014
Doc's Request.
03-04-2014
Passport Req..
28-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-04-2014 (Multiple)
LANDED..........
First landed in 09/2016. Visa Expired 11/2016. Reapplied with approved TRV valid until 2021
Re: Question about Immigration Officers and TRV

like most any IO at the POE..

1. Yes, most likely they will ask for the place where you will be staying. When they ask this question, they will not be browsing to your information as indicated in your visa application. If you are staying in a hotel, present them the hotel confirmation booking or if staying with family give them the address.
2. For me personally, I wouldnt tell the IO that I have not decided where to stay :)
3. Yes, it will help strengthen your application if you have confirmed hotel booking. What I normally do in this case I make sure that I can cancel my booking without any fees or penalties for cancellation if I decide to change. :p

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

kewl said:

1. Yes, most likely they will ask for the place where you will be staying.
It's not "most likely" - it's absolutely. You must provide the address of where you are staying on your customs / immigration form. You will have to write down one address. It's a form - so no option to write down three.

May 7, 2014

kewl said:

1. Yes, most likely they will ask for the place where you will be staying. When they ask this question, they will not be browsing to your information as indicated in your visa application. If you are staying in a hotel, present them the hotel confirmation booking or if staying with family give them the address.
2. For me personally, I wouldnt tell the IO that I have not decided where to stay :)
3. Yes, it will help strengthen your application if you have confirmed hotel booking. What I normally do in this case I make sure that I can cancel my booking without any fees or penalties for cancellation if I decide to change. :p
Okay, and what if I plan to go to another part of Toronto during my stay? I'll be there for about two months and have become familiar with the area. If I book a hotel for the first week, and use that as my address, and they see I will only be there for a week, will they see that as a problem and ask further questions, will me saying I'll be visiting another part of Toronto and look for another hotel be a problem?
Thank you for the reply!

May 7, 2014

scylla said:
It's not "most likely" - it's absolutely. You must provide the address of where you are staying on your customs / immigration form. You will have to write down one address. It's a form - so no option to write down three.
Strange, on the customs card it lists "Home Address", so that means home address/where I'll be staying in Canada or in my own country?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014

GenericUsername3 said:
Strange, on the customs card it lists "Home Address", so that means home address/where I'll be staying in Canada or in my own country?
Why is it strange? "Home Address" means "home address" aka the place where you live. ;D

If you live in Canada you write your Canadian Address, if you live in another country then you write down your other country address.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'll be there for about two months
Are you working? What is your purpose to visit Canada? Why are you staying for 2 months? How it works with your job in Turkey? That's the questions you should FIRST clear for VO. IF you get a visa (and I doubt) then you could think about booking-not booking and border officer questions.