+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

urgent query for Minor dependant?

Sazm

Star Member
May 10, 2016
Hello,
I am currently in Canada on PGWP and recently got my SOWP approved (outside canada).

I am looking to know about my kids 12, 10, 7 to apply as dependent and what should I apply for among them?
1) Regular study permit (outside Canada)?
2) Student direct stream ?
3) study application for Minors (trv for study with $150 fees each)?

secondly do I need Acceptance letter from School as what should I put in as Accepting DLI?
I am super confused, please suggest.
Thanks

jasmin-alladin

Star Member
Mar 21, 2018
You can apply Visitor Visa for them (takes about 7 days i think). When you enter Canada enter Canada, at the port of entry, tell the first officer that you want your kids to be with you here in Canada during your studies. So the first officer will automatically understand that your kids needs visitor record with the same expiry date as your study permit. He will then lead you to the Second officer who issues visitor record. With the second officer, he will ask for your study permit and LOA. Just bring all documents you need that might help you.

Please don't forget to ask for visitor record in case the first officer is not aware about it. Because if you cannot get a visitor record, their validity of stay will be 6 months only. Same status as the regular visitor. Some officers is not aware of this. Just ask them politely. You also need visitor record in order for your kids to study in Canada. You wont be needing study permit. But you can also apply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I am currently in Canada on PGWP and recently got my SOWP approved (outside canada).

I am looking to know about my kids 12, 10, 7 to apply as dependent and what should I apply for among them?
1) Regular study permit (outside Canada)?
2) Student direct stream ?
3) study application for Minors (trv for study with $150 fees each)?

secondly do I need Acceptance letter from School as what should I put in as Accepting DLI?
I am super confused, please suggest.
Thanks
You should apply for study permits; you don't need a letter from a DLI. SDS is only for post-secondary studies. You could try applying for just TRVs but given the obvious intent for them to live in Canada, the apps would likely be returned with a notice to apply for study permits.

RS20201

Star Member
Sep 8, 2020
You can apply Visitor Visa for them (takes about 7 days i think). When you enter Canada enter Canada, at the port of entry, tell the first officer that you want your kids to be with you here in Canada during your studies. So the first officer will automatically understand that your kids needs visitor record with the same expiry date as your study permit. He will then lead you to the Second officer who issues visitor record. With the second officer, he will ask for your study permit and LOA. Just bring all documents you need that might help you.

Please don't forget to ask for visitor record in case the first officer is not aware about it. Because if you cannot get a visitor record, their validity of stay will be 6 months only. Same status as the regular visitor. Some officers is not aware of this. Just ask them politely. You also need visitor record in order for your kids to study in Canada. You wont be needing study permit. But you can also apply.

Hi Jasmin-alladin,

I entered Canada on a study permit and reecived a visitor record for my minor daughter in 2021; both docs with validity until 30 July 2023. While I completed my masters the University, my daughter completed her grade 9 in a local Canadian public school, and is now in High School. I recently applied for PGWP and in the same application mentioned that my daughter will be accompanying me. There was no additional document request for her except the usual IMM5708e form for "APPLICATION TO EXTEND MY STAY AS A VISITOR IN CANADA".

Please guide whether i need to separately apply for a Study Permit for her. I am getting mixed reviews where some state that if a minor dependent child is already going to a school in Canada, the parent need not apply for a separate study permit for the dependent kid when submitting PGWP application.

The minor kid's visitor record is linked to the parents' Study Permit and will be renewed for the same duration of the PGWP.