+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent query about Passport Request and Passport Validity

Adam479

Apr 3, 2015
Dear all,

This is my current situation:

I applied for PR via Express Entry and here is the current status:

Feb 16, 2016 - I received an email requesting that I send my passport to the processing centre in Ottawa along with photos.

My passport expires on August 23, 2016.

The letter states "You will need to submit the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. Your passport(s) must be valid for at least 6 months and have at least two blank pages. If a child is included on your passport, you must have one blank page per accompanying child."

My queries are:

1. If I send my passport to Ottawa immediately, would it be all right? (technically, August 23/2016 would fall within the 6 months window). How does it work? If my Passport reaches Ottawa on say Feb 18 or Feb 19, then it's still at least 6 months. Would it work?

2. If say my Passport doesn't qualify in terms of validity, will CIC return it and ask for a new passport or will they outright reject my PR application?

Please advise immediately if you know the answers to the above, time is of the essence for me!!!

Thank you a million in advance!

- Adam

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Send your passport right away to CPC Ottawa if you are currently resident in Canada. Your passport will be stamped and returned to you, this won't get your application refused.

All the best!

Adam479

Apr 3, 2015
That's a very re-assuring reply, Asivad!

Thanks you so very much!

I've sent my passport to Ottawa today. Should reach Ottawa soon by XpressPost.

Thanks again!

- Adam

anandg12

Jun 26, 2015
Sorry to hijack this thread but I thought my question is related. I received PPR couple of days ago and I had to renew my passport in December (as hand-written passports are no longer accepted). Do I need to send my expired passport with my new passport for stamping or will the new passport suffice?

dpr

Sep 8, 2015
Iam awaiting an ITA in the next draw and hopefully if application is processed within 6 months then we are looking at stamping of passports by July/August. while all our passports have sufficient validity my daughter's minor passport will be expiring in Feb. we are planning on landing only in Feb 2017. will this be a problem? will I be able to get her new passport stamped with visa later or should I already get a new passport for her before we send for stamping

thanks

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anandg12 said:
Sorry to hijack this thread but I thought my question is related. I received PPR couple of days ago and I had to renew my passport in December (as hand-written passports are no longer accepted). Do I need to send my expired passport with my new passport for stamping or will the new passport suffice?
Just the new passport. I'm assuming that IRCC has your new passport number in their records already. Else you need to raise a CSE to update your passport number in their records before sending the passport to them.

Adam479

Apr 3, 2015
Hi everyone,

Just a little update. I emailed CIC (the email they send you the PPR from) and miraculously they replied in 2 days.

They didn't explicitly say that my Passport would not be accepted. Just said that it takes 7 working days to process the Passport.

This is by far my fastest correspondence with CIC ever!

Thanks everyone.

Adam

dpr

Sep 8, 2015
dpr said:
Iam awaiting an ITA in the next draw and hopefully if application is processed within 6 months then we are looking at stamping of passports by July/August. while all our passports have sufficient validity my daughter's minor passport will be expiring in Feb. we are planning on landing only in Feb 2017. will this be a problem? will I be able to get her new passport stamped with visa later or should I already get a new passport for her before we send for stamping

thanks
Replies please...

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpr said:

thanks
While sending in passports after PPR, you'll need to ensure that the passports are valid for at least 6 more months. Renew your daughter's passport before submitting it assuming you get you PPR in Jul/Aug '15 or later.

dpr

Sep 8, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
While sending in passports after PPR, you'll need to ensure that the passports are valid for at least 6 more months. Renew your daughter's passport before submitting it assuming you get you PPR in Jul/Aug '15 or later.
Thankyou Asivad Anac!

Segunoju

Feb 22, 2016
Dear Asivad, after PPR, I sent my passport to the Accra office (the old one with which I applied and which has almost expired and the new one). I also sent an explanation letter. I did not enter a CSE. Is there a chance that my application would be denied. I am so scare after waiting for 5 months to get a PPR. Please help Asivad, anyone.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Segunoju said:
Dear Asivad, after PPR, I sent my passport to the Accra office (the old one with which I applied and which has almost expired and the new one). I also sent an explanation letter. I did not enter a CSE. Is there a chance that my application would be denied. I am so scare after waiting for 5 months to get a PPR. Please help Asivad, anyone.
No reason to deny the application if they've already sent you a PPR. It would've been easier for them if you'd updated your passport information rather than send 2 passports (only 1 is valid and they've to carefully identify which).

gooDevil

Star Member
Feb 9, 2017
UK
Visa Office......
London
No reason to deny the application if they've already sent you a PPR. It would've been easier for them if you'd updated your passport information rather than send 2 passports (only 1 is valid and they've to carefully identify which).
Hi Asivad,

What was the outxone... was it denied or went in smoothly... I still have 7 months post POT but thinking to get a new passport and get that stamped as the letter now states the following:
"Your Permanent Resident document(s) will expire one year after the date of your
medical examinations or earlier if your passport or the passports of your spouse or
dependant children (if applicable) expire on an earlier date."