+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent processing for expired PR card - Traveling on September 4th

Aug 20, 2014
Hey guys,

I am traveling to Korea on September 4th for two weeks for wedding photo shoot as well as sight seeing.

I've sent my PR card renewal application package back in June, but Only found out about the Urgent processing in July, So I sent in my package as Urgent processing.

CIC office did start looking at my application package, but as I missed out a check box, the application package came back to me, which I sent back and they received my package on August 5th.

Now that My trip is in just two weeks, and it's been about two weeks that the Office received my package again:)S), I'm actually getting really worried that I may not receive the PR card in time for my travel.

I have read up a lot of articles on CIC, but it only explains about travel document, which I've read on this forum that it may take up to 6 month to receive it while in outside of canada.

I believe that I sent in my landing paper when I applied for citizenship 2 years ago, which I believe can be used to enter canada at times.

I am Korean, so I won't need a visa to enter Canada, but I'm not sure how it will work with an expired PR card.

My flight has a lay over in Detroit, and I wonder if that would help at all, as in returning to Canada on private vehicle instead.

If anyone had similar experience as mine, I would really really appreciate any tips.

Thanks!!!!

Kevin

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
maximizeaccount said:
Hey guys,

I am traveling to Korea on September 4th for two weeks for wedding photo shoot as well as sight seeing.

I've sent my PR card renewal application package back in June, but Only found out about the Urgent processing in July, So I sent in my package as Urgent processing.

CIC office did start looking at my application package, but as I missed out a check box, the application package came back to me, which I sent back and they received my package on August 5th.

Now that My trip is in just two weeks, and it's been about two weeks that the Office received my package again:)S), I'm actually getting really worried that I may not receive the PR card in time for my travel.

I have read up a lot of articles on CIC, but it only explains about travel document, which I've read on this forum that it may take up to 6 month to receive it while in outside of canada.

I believe that I sent in my landing paper when I applied for citizenship 2 years ago, which I believe can be used to enter canada at times.

I am Korean, so I won't need a visa to enter Canada, but I'm not sure how it will work with an expired PR card.

My flight has a lay over in Detroit, and I wonder if that would help at all, as in returning to Canada on private vehicle instead.

If anyone had similar experience as mine, I would really really appreciate any tips.

Thanks!!!!

Kevin
Because you are visa exempt into Canada, then you don't need to apply for a PRTD. You can fly to Canada on the validity of your passport alone. Your issue is going to fall when it's time to come back via the US. Are you visa exempt into the US? I am pretty sure that even a layover requires some sort of transiting visa or something. That is the only problem that I can see to you travelling without your new PR card.

The time it takes to get a PRTD when outside of the country really varies. It depends on the office you are applying from and how much 'digging' they need to do to find out if you meet the RO or not. You could safely apply for one once you land in Korea, but I don't know if it can be done in two weeks.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maximizeaccount said:
Hey guys,

Thanks!!!!

Kevin
You dont need PDRT or valid PR card. You need US transit or B1/B2 visa.

Aug 20, 2014
Thanks for the advices guys!

I do have a US visa, but also my south Korean passport is now visa exempt to US.

So it looks like if my renewed PR card doesn't arrive in time, I won't be able to return to Canada on Air plane?(commercial vehicle)

and my best bet would be returning to Canada from detroit on a private vehicle?

Or is it possible to enter Canada with expired PR card? I guess there may be some hassle at the immigrations though..

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
maximizeaccount said:
Thanks for the advices guys!

I do have a US visa, but also my south Korean passport is now visa exempt to US.

So it looks like if my renewed PR card doesn't arrive in time, I won't be able to return to Canada on Air plane?(commercial vehicle)

and my best bet would be returning to Canada from detroit on a private vehicle?

Or is it possible to enter Canada with expired PR card? I guess there may be some hassle at the immigrations though..
Didn't you state in your first post, that your Korean passport is visa exempt to Canada, meaning you don't need a visa to travel to Canada?

If this is the case, then you CAN board a plane to Canada and travel on the validity of your passport alone. Just tell the airline you are a visitor and then when you land in Canada, get into the returning residence line. They won't deny you entry into Canada. Just show them your expired PR card and your receipt that you applied for a renewal card and it wasn't yet processed and you'll be fine.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
South Korean citizens are visa exempt to both the USA and Canada.