+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT PASSPORT APPLICATION

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
Another thing they can do, some kind of add on when applying for citizenship. We pay 160-200$ extra so they hand us passport as well long with citizenship certificate after oath since citizenship application will have most of the info already. I think that might reduce some government workload.
That would be a very smart idea and I don't understand why they don't do it. Some people need their passport to work: as it stands it takes at least a working week from the oath day to when you obtain the passport, even if you apply for the urgent procedure which requires two working days. Is someone supposed to take a week off because they can't get a passport?
In the UK it is possible to choose the urgent procedure, costing 2.5 times the standard procedure, but you can get a passport in 4 hours. The Government gets more money, the citizen gets a better service: it's a win-win, don't really understand why it isn't done.

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
Direct quote from your post:
"Technically, this waiting 48-72 hrs after the oath violates the constitution. Our constitution says, every canadian citizen has the right to apply passport if we have necessary documents"

That's what I mean is not true. There is no constitutional right to a passport, that's all I'm saying.
This is not a detail, but an important point. There are fundamental court cases that established that.

In fact, issuing passports is a Royal Prerogative in Canada. That means the government can say "No, we are not giving a passport to this guy" as long as they have valid reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_prerogative#Canada

"The issuance of passports also remains within the royal prerogative in Canada. The terms for the issuing of passports by the Minister of Foreign Affairs on behalf of the Crown are set out in the Canadian Passport Order, issued by the Governor General-in-Council. The Canadian government has used the royal prerogative on two occasions to deny a passport to a Canadian citizen, Abdurahman Khadr and Fateh Kamel. Lawsuits filed at the Federal Court, Federal Court of Appeal, and ultimately the Supreme Court of Canada did not find in favour of either Khadr, nor Kamel."

So the Supreme Court of Canada, which is the ultimate authority in constitutional matters, has established that the Canadian government has the right to refuse issuing passports.

So, no, this is not a matter of opinion and arguments. There is no constitutional right to a passport. The Supreme Court has spoken. Period.
Spyfy, I can guarantee you, there's no way you can argue with a person who refuses to acknowledge when they're wrong even when you present them with undeniable facts.

Reactions: spyfy

Joshua1

Nov 18, 2013
That would be a very smart idea and I don't understand why they don't do it. Some people need their passport to work: as it stands it takes at least a working week from the oath day to when you obtain the passport, even if you apply for the urgent procedure which requires two working days. Is someone supposed to take a week off because they can't get a passport?
In the UK it is possible to choose the urgent procedure, costing 2.5 times the standard procedure, but you can get a passport in 4 hours. The Government gets more money, the citizen gets a better service: it's a win-win, don't really understand why it isn't done.
"smart idea"? I dare say at least 95% of the working population is not required to have a passport for work.

ZingyDNA

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-06-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
21-02-2014 (principal applicant)
Med's Done....
07-03-2014 (both, upfront for spouse)
Passport Req..
10-04-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
One of the most important things of the Law is where it's applicable. The two examples of yours are not applicable here... unless there's a terrorist among us (I guess you never know LOL). Those people were/are national security threats so that's why they can't get a passport. In fact, a federal justice ruled in favor of Kamel before being turned down by the Supreme Court. The justice's reasoning was violation of Charter of Rights, which would have worked for any of us on this forum, except for Kamel who was a convicted terrorist...

If anything, your examples show we do have a right to a passport, just not right away :D, and not for terrorists obviously.

Direct quote from your post:
"Technically, this waiting 48-72 hrs after the oath violates the constitution. Our constitution says, every canadian citizen has the right to apply passport if we have necessary documents"

That's what I mean is not true. There is no constitutional right to a passport, that's all I'm saying.
This is not a detail, but an important point. There are fundamental court cases that established that.

In fact, issuing passports is a Royal Prerogative in Canada. That means the government can say "No, we are not giving a passport to this guy" as long as they have valid reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_prerogative#Canada

"The issuance of passports also remains within the royal prerogative in Canada. The terms for the issuing of passports by the Minister of Foreign Affairs on behalf of the Crown are set out in the Canadian Passport Order, issued by the Governor General-in-Council. The Canadian government has used the royal prerogative on two occasions to deny a passport to a Canadian citizen, and Fateh Kamel. Lawsuits filed at the Federal Court, Federal Court of Appeal, and ultimately the Supreme Court of Canada did not find in favour of either Khadr, nor Kamel."

So the Supreme Court of Canada, which is the ultimate authority in constitutional matters, has established that the Canadian government has the right to refuse issuing passports.

So, no, this is not a matter of opinion and arguments. There is no constitutional right to a passport. The Supreme Court has spoken. Period.

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
"smart idea"? I dare say at least 95% of the working population is not required to have a passport for work.
So screw that 5%? I am not saying it should be for free: it should be an optional premium service that some people could select. Now, even if you want to throw $5000 at it, it can't be done.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Another thing they can do, some kind of add on when applying for citizenship. We pay 160-200$ extra so they hand us passport as well long with citizenship certificate after oath since citizenship application will have most of the info already. I think that might reduce some government workload.
Technically they aren't a citizen until they've taken the oath, so issuing a passport ahead of that would be illegal.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
But, have you tried walking into the Passport Office immediately after your Certificate of Naturalization was presented to you and tried that?

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Hello everyone,

I attended my oath ceremony on Friday August 3rd and we were told to wait 2 business days before applying for the passport.
I went to the Passport Canada office yesterday (Tuesday 7th) around 3pm and I was informed that I was not on the system yet.
The agent also told me that he processed a passport app the day before (Monday) for someone who got oath on the same day as me.
I also checked my ECAS this morning and my status has not changed yet. ( Decision made) even though i've read that some people get their ECAS usually updated after the ceremony.
Could you guys please share your thoughts and suggestions as to what options would be available to me knowing that I have a flight booked on Saturday.
Thank you !
Wow i didnt even check before going on Teusday i hd my oath August 3 as well applied in Teusday around 11am and i wasnt told anything. Im to pick up tommorow. Go apply for urgent or express as soon as it gets updated

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Sorry for cross-posting, but I am in a similar situation and have posted this yesterday in another thread asking for anyone who has had experience or knowledge of this.

I got the invitation for the oath on 22 August, but I have a trip to the US planned for 24 August. There will be no chance to get a new passport in time, therefore the plan was to leave Canada with my other passport and then request a temporary travel document once in the US.
I have realized that it is possible to obtain a special authorization if you:
  • have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days,
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country,
And:
  • have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • you were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.
Of course this is limited to those coming from a visa-exempt country, but it looks like it is much easier than an emergency travel document and it allows a one-off get-out-of-jail card for those who need to travel straight after the oath.

Has anyone used this procedure, or know anyone who has used this procedure?
Just apply for urgent passport. Its for cases where you meed to leave in 24hrs

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Hello everyone, I was actually able to submit my application yesterday afternoon. The agent informed that I was finally on the system.
Thank you very much for your suggestions and support. Peace and Love !
When is the pickup? I know that you are traveling tomorrow
Good luck

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
Just an update in case anyone is interested in the topic.
I took my oath on Wednesday 22nd August and I had a trip already planned to New York on 24th with therefore no chance of obtaining a Canadian passport on time.
The agent at the oath asked me if I was traveling within the following 2 weeks since I would have been able to apply only on Monday 27th, I said yes, she asked me where I was going and if I had another passport i could use to travel there and I said i have an Italian passport and i was going to the US. She looked unfazed, said I should be ok and that was the end of the conversation.

I arrived in New York, called the consulate and explained the situation, they said the easiest way was to apply for a special authorization through the website, which has to be requested no longer than 10 days before the intended flight to Canada.

I'll see how it goes and report back.

Reactions: qorax

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
Just an update in case anyone is interested in the topic.
I took my oath on Wednesday 22nd August and I had a trip already planned to New York on 24th with therefore no chance of obtaining a Canadian passport on time.
The agent at the oath asked me if I was traveling within the following 2 weeks since I would have been able to apply only on Monday 27th, I said yes, she asked me where I was going and if I had another passport i could use to travel there and I said i have an Italian passport and i was going to the US. She looked unfazed, said I should be ok and that was the end of the conversation.

I arrived in New York, called the consulate and explained the situation, they said the easiest way was to apply for a special authorization through the website, which has to be requested no longer than 10 days before the intended flight to Canada.

I'll see how it goes and report back.
Just an update on the situation: I did as described, and it was all very smooth, with one minor glitch. I applied for the special authorization 10 days before my flight, but because my application was filed in the morning and my flight was in the evening, my first application was refused because it was too early, so I was advised to apply again later. So I waited 12 hours, applied again and was approved.
The authorization is electronically linked to the passport, so everything works as if there was an eTA associated to that passport: I could check in online and I didn't even have to show my citizenship certificate.
On arrival in Canada I used my NEXUS Card to go through Immigration and all was good.