+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Passport After Oath

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all - as my luck would have it I actually need to urgently leave the country - actually March 21 to be exact. My oath is scheduled for March 19. Does anyone have experience with urgent passport process getting done even before the usual "2 business day" wait. I'm suddenly faced with a personal issue and my current nationality doesn't allow reentry into Canada without visa and my PR card will be surrendered by the 19th. Does anyone know if I can submit passport application the day after oath and request urgent 24-hour process by paying higher fee.

Please share your valid experience if any - thanks!

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i can definitely say that you won't get passport in 2 days. reason is, during the oath ceremony they will tell you that it takes 2 days for the processing to be complete and the offices to have your status updated. so they warn us not to apply for passport within 2 days. the local office sends data back to the federal system that you have taken the oath and everything is in order.

now your's is worse because march 19th is saturday and i highly doubt the information will be updated by monday march 21st.

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
i can definitely say that you won't get passport in 2 days. reason is, during the oath ceremony they will tell you that it takes 2 days for the processing to be complete and the offices to have your status updated. so they warn us not to apply for passport within 2 days. the local office sends data back to the federal system that you have taken the oath and everything is in order.

now your's is worse because march 19th is saturday and i highly doubt the information will be updated by monday march 21st.
March 19 is Wednesday - I was hoping to apply after 1 business day (March 20) - does anyone here have experience with urgent passport pls? Thanks

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bangloboy said:
March 19 is Wednesday - I was hoping to apply after 1 business day (March 20) - does anyone here have experience with urgent passport pls? Thanks
okay ignore the date, i made a boo boo there :p

but the 2 days waiting period is true.

there is urgent pickup time for 24 hours. you need to pay $110 and apply in person from a passport canada office.

torontonian2003

Star Member
Mar 12, 2014
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC informed our group during the test that in case that the oath date can be rescheduled for a period of 6 months from the first invitation.
This might be your best best to be able to travel and return with your current PR card. This would also save you money for urgent passport processing. You can just book your oath taking upon your return. Just make sure you call CIC right away to reschedule.
Congratulations on your new citizenship.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
torontonian2003 said:
CIC informed our group during the test that in case that the oath date can be rescheduled for a period of 6 months from the first invitation.
This might be your best best to be able to travel and return with your current PR card. This would also save you money for urgent passport processing. You can just book your oath taking upon your return. Just make sure you call CIC right away to reschedule.
Congratulations on your new citizenship.
i wouldn't advice rescheduling oath after the oath date has been confirmed because couple of people have received RQ because of it. they want to know what was so important that you are willing to postpone it. during the test, they do ask if anyone is planning on vacation and they do assign dates based on that. but once the date has been assigned, yes they do postpone and reassign date, but it may come at a cost.

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
i wouldn't advice rescheduling oath after the oath date has been confirmed because couple of people have received RQ because of it. they want to know what was so important that you are willing to postpone it. during the test, they do ask if anyone is planning on vacation and they do assign dates based on that. but once the date has been assigned, yes they do postpone and reassign date, but it may come at a cost.
I agree. Does anyone know if I can apply for my first passport at an embassy outside of Canada? If i do have to travel on my current nationality passport and then just apply for Canadian passport at Canadian embassy at my destination of visit?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yes you can apply at an office outside canada.

but will you be travelling with a valid passport during your trip? i hope immigration at your home country doesn't make any issues. do realize your passport may be invalid at that point. it usually works for people with dual citizenship.

you will also have to find a guarantor for the passport application.

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
yes you can apply at an office outside canada.

but will you be travelling with a valid passport during your trip? i hope immigration at your home country doesn't make any issues. do realize your passport may be invalid at that point. it usually works for people with dual citizenship.

you will also have to find a guarantor for the passport application.
I'm allowed dual citizenship. I also have tons of guarantors so no issue. I could take another option - I checked under normal process I can apply by Friday as well. And then authorize someone to pick up my passport - but are we allowed to send it by fedex? Another option is I can produce the ticket that I need to leave and show passport office on Thursday March 20? What do you think?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you can send passport by fedex, yes. that option is there. if you think fedex wont screw it up, then that's definitely an option.

definitely visit passport office on march 20th. see what they say. if nothing happens, fedex could be the option for you. also check options to get canadian passport in your home country.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
I applied for an urgent passport, it takes 24 hours for Urgent one ($270 paid). You can not apply immediately after the Oath, only after two business work day. I had my Oath on Thursday and I applied for my passport on Tuesday. Also, you need to show your flight tickets to show proof of leaving (I had my ticket for the same week on Thursday). They called both of my References and my Guarantor the same day, I was told they will have to talk to them all considering my request was Urgent. They also said they better be available otherwise my passport would not be issued as Urgent! luckily they were all available and answered the phone calls (my guarantor came with me and he interviewed her at the desk).

Do not ever postpone your Oath! Good luck.

Oh, I do not think you can apply for your first Canadian passport abroad, triple check before you leave.

bangloboy

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yolka said:
I applied for an urgent passport, it takes 24 hours for Urgent one ($270 paid). You can not apply immediately after the Oath, only after two business work day. I had my Oath on Thursday and I applied for my passport on Tuesday. Also, you need to show your flight tickets to show proof of leaving (I had my ticket for the same week on Thursday). They called both of my References and my Guarantor the same day, I was told they will have to talk to them all considering my request was Urgent. They also said they better be available otherwise my passport would not be issued as Urgent! luckily they were all available and answered the phone calls (my guarantor came with me and he interviewed her at the desk).

Do not ever postpone your Oath! Good luck.

Oh, I do not think you can apply for your first Canadian passport abroad, triple check before you leave.
Thanks Yolka! I'm in a bit of a personal urgent issue I have to deal with. If I were to explain this to officers at my oath and also at passport office do you think it will help! If I can put it thru on Thursday it's great else I can only see the fedex option by going in on Friday! Boy oh boy, you are a citizen now yet have to wait 48 hours - very weird. Also I checked I think you can apply abroad but it takes 20 business days but also might require additional security checks which will make it longer :( I hope icc can help me. I've already filled up the form and got guarantor and references ready

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bangloboy said:
Thanks Yolka! I'm in a bit of a personal urgent issue I have to deal with. If I were to explain this to officers at my oath and also at passport office do you think it will help! If I can put it thru on Thursday it's great else I can only see the fedex option by going in on Friday! Boy oh boy, you are a citizen now yet have to wait 48 hours - very weird. Also I checked I think you can apply abroad but it takes 20 business days but also might require additional security checks which will make it longer :( I hope icc can help me. I've already filled up the form and got guarantor and references ready
think of the fact that you got the oath letter before CIC head office got the notification and updated the e-cas.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
bangloboy said:

It is entirely up to you, if you want to ask the officers at the Oath go ahead but I do not think they can do anything for you re the passport (Do not raise the issue before the Ceremony starts :)) you never know what can happen). We were told at the Ceremony to apply after two days only, I even went to the passport office the same day to try my luck but was told NOPE, even for Urgent to wait 2 days!

But if you are sure you can apply from abroad then do that, as I said I am not 100% sure the officers at the Oath can help with the passport.

Best,