+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT: Is proof of funds needed when landing!?

MapleVivi

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
Hello,
I am arriving in Canada with my COPR in 2 days, but I just wanted to make sure I don't have to show an officer a proof of funding, correct?

Thank you so much in advance!

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Hello,
I am arriving in Canada with my COPR in 2 days, but I just wanted to make sure I don't have to show an officer a proof of funding, correct?

Thank you so much in advance!
You should have proof of funding regardless of what anyone tells you. You are moving to Canada so the border agent wants to see that you can support yourself for atleast the first 3 - 4 months after landing. Having money means you can start paying rent and not be a burden on the province. That being said, remember the limits you can carry any amount of money to Canada. However, if the amount is over $10K you need to declare it and provide source of funds. If the border agent doesn't ask for proof of funding then fine, best to have it when they ask than not to. What people don't realize is that CBSA can terminate your COPR at the border. Your PR application said you had money to support yourself so be ready to show it.

Last edited:

MapleVivi

Star Member
Jan 21, 2020
You should have proof of funding regardless of what anyone tells you. You are moving to Canada so the border agent wants to see that you can support yourself for atleast the first 3 - 4 months after landing. Having money means you can start paying rent and not be a burden on the province. That being said, remember the limits you can carry any amount of money to Canada. However, if the amount is over $10K you need to declare it and provide source of funds. If the border agent doesn't ask for proof of funding then find, best to have it when they ask than not to. What people don't realize is that CBSA can terminate your COPR at the border. Your PR application said you had money to support yourself so be ready to show it.
Thank you so much for your reply.

I still have money in my Canadian bank account with the enough amount. Will the overview of my account with the remaining balance written on it be sufficient? Or should I print out the bank statements from 6 months ago?

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply.

I still have money in my Canadian bank account with the enough amount. Will the overview of my account with the remaining balance written on it be sufficient? Or should I print out the bank statements from 6 months ago?
A current bank account statement would be fine for showing the available balance. Also, have some cash with you. Carry 7k to 10k because cash in hand is still needed. They may specifically ask 'how much money are you carrying today?'. So, you could say 7k in cash and i have access to $XXX in my bank account.

ss.sharnaly

Star Member
Sep 23, 2019
You should have proof of funding regardless of what anyone tells you. You are moving to Canada so the border agent wants to see that you can support yourself for atleast the first 3 - 4 months after landing. Having money means you can start paying rent and not be a burden on the province. That being said, remember the limits you can carry any amount of money to Canada. However, if the amount is over $10K you need to declare it and provide source of funds. If the border agent doesn't ask for proof of funding then fine, best to have it when they ask than not to. What people don't realize is that CBSA can terminate your COPR at the border. Your PR application said you had money to support yourself so be ready to show it.
Is cash in hand Enough as proof of funds or do I need to show bank statement as proof of funds like I submitted with ITA?