+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent help please with RAMQ in Montreal

Hany152

Apr 14, 2011
We landed in Montreal in Feb. 27, 2014, today we finished the SIN and we went to the RAMQ to apply for the Healthy Insurance Card which we need it urgently because my wife is pregnant and she is about to give a birth, but things got complicated, here is the story:

They asked about the landing papers, the CSQ, and our passports and that was normal, they checked all these documents and they asked about our address we gave them a friend's address as we are still looking for an apartment.

They asked if we are going back home in the near future, we honestly answered yes we have a return ticket after spending 4 months in Montreal, then we back again to Montreal after a small vacation in our home country. She recorded the date of our return, printed the papers and she asked us to sign it, we refused to record the date of return and we started to clarify why we have a roundtrip ticket. She disappeared for a while and she modified all the papers and we signed it. Then she started to explain everything, eventually, she gave us a letter as following:

Subject: Documents in Demand
List of required documents:
1- The last ticket we bought to Montreal.
2- Any documents which prove that we have left our home permanently.
3- Any documents which prove the procedures taken to establish life in Montreal.
4- Any kind of insurance in Quebec.
5- A prove of residence in Quebec.

After I submit these documents, they will evaluate our file and they decide if the delivery of the baby will be covered or not. And finally she gave us our documents and they took photos for us.

Dear members, do you think I'm in a serious problem here?
What if they took much time in evaluating our file and the moment of birth has came? Will the cost of giving birth be covered?

I'm really confused and disappointed and really think to get back home.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you put yourself in Quebec shoes, you realize that it looks like that you just made a quick trip to Canada to have a baby at their cost and then intend to leave again.

You can argue with RAMQ on this and insist that you are really only going to take a short vacation in your home country and as a token of good faith, you should now buy the one way ticket from your home country to Quebec to use after your short vacation and offer that you will report to them on your return or they may charge you for the delivery.

Be aware that in order to be eligible for Quebec health, you must live in Quebec at least 6 months a year. If you get the delivery covered but leave after 4 months and do not return soon enough to complete 6 months in your first year after landing, they could rule that you were never eligible for RAMQ in the first place and backcharge you for everything they had covered.

Reactions: dsuy