+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT HELP: Passport return times by New Delhi Canadian Consulate

ceclmo777

Oct 24, 2013
Friends, I am requesting everyone on this forum to provide some expert advice on this matter.

I landed on sep 25 but was asked to re send my photos to print the PR card. The new photos reached CIC on nov 18 and they are now saying that the processing time will be counted from the day cic received new photos and I should expect my card by Jan 15...I have to travel on Dec 26 to India and come back on Jan 24..I have decided am thinking whether or not to apply for a travel doc as its taking a month for delhi consulate to issue the travel doc and I am not able to postpone my return trip as I have to travel on Jan 24. Also,if I have to travel thru US, I have to spend a fortune to cancel my current ticket and book a new one.I am hoping that I will receive the pr card by jan 15 and can ask one of my friends to courier it to India. But I am a little concerned that if I apply for travel doc and the passport is stuck with the consulate, I will not be able to travel even if I manage to ship the pr card from Canada.

Does anyone know how long will the consulate take to return the passport incase I withdraw my travel doc application and is the passport return faster if I apply thru VFS instead of me applying directly?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where in India will you be residing/ visiting as this will determine how your TD is dispatched to the visa post i.e. in some areas you must use the VFS. Note that showing up at say the visa post in New Delhi maybe a mission due to the numbers that show up daily - you may have to literally line up from a time that you would normally be sleeping and even then not get served. If you have to use the VFS then maybe check their website and call them to see their timelines. You need to consider that the visa post are Federal employees so they will get the same time off over the holiday season that every one else will get in Canada - time off = closed = impact on mailing out/in.

Carefully weigh up your options...as harsh as it sounds its better to lose your money by cancelling the trip than getting stuck outside Canada and trying to get hold of a PR Card/ TD when you have little control over mailing times.

ceclmo777

Oct 24, 2013
Msafiri said:
Where in India will you be residing/ visiting as this will determine how your TD is dispatched to the visa post i.e. in some areas you must use the VFS. Note that showing up at say the visa post in New Delhi maybe a mission due to the numbers that show up daily - you may have to literally line up from a time that you would normally be sleeping and even then not get served. If you have to use the VFS then maybe check their website and call them to see their timelines. You need to consider that the visa post are Federal employees so they will get the same time off over the holiday season that every one else will get in Canada - time off = closed = impact on mailing out/in.

Carefully weigh up your options...as harsh as it sounds its better to lose your money by cancelling the trip than getting stuck outside Canada and trying to get hold of a PR Card/ TD when you have little control over mailing times.
I thought a lot about it and decided to apply for a travel document at VFS hyderabad.Worst case, if I dnt get travel doc in time, I will book my tickets via US and enter Canada by road.