+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT expired PR card in USA

Amaragill

Sep 22, 2009
Hi there, I am permanent resident of Canada currently working in USA as a physician on H1b visa. My husband who is a Canadian citizen is also here with me. The problem is I have applied for my citizenship in Nov/07 and got a receipt of acknowledgement in Jan/08 and since then have not heard a word from them, this I think might be since I was short of my physical presence in Canada by 6months.
But now I need to return to Canada in 2 weeks for a family issue but since my PR card has expired, not sure as to how long it might take to get a travel document. Also was thinking if I went to the embassy in Seattle would they accept a walk in application for travel document and approve it?
I am really at a loss of resources here. please help.....

Nikamma

Sep 25, 2009
Try to re-enter Canada, if they let you, stay for 2 years and fulfill the obligation of 730 days. In the mean time you will see the result of your citizenship process, they refuse you can appeal and present the evidence that you have lived in Canada for 2 years, if your 2 year obligation is not fulfilled yet, demonstrate your intentions that you are planning to stay in Canada for at least that much period.

Check other posts too with same kind of scenarios...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are very unlikely to get your citizenship when you apply too early and especially now that you are not even living in Canada anymore. Your PR status is not in danger since you have a Canadian spouse but as for the travel document, you should definitely contact the embassy and ask how long it takes to get one.

Amaragill

Sep 22, 2009
Thanks Leon, I emailed the Seattle embassy and was informed that I dont need a travel document if I am travelling by personal vehicle and they only accept walk in applications for travel document which are usually available the same day if you qualify.
I have my inlaws in Canada and I plan to apply for PR card using their address once I am there but question is when we apply they ask to give up the PR card, so how will I re-enter Canada to pick the card?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amaragill said:
Thanks Leon, I emailed the Seattle embassy and was informed that I dont need a travel document if I am travelling by personal vehicle and they only accept walk in applications for travel document which are usually available the same day if you qualify.
I have my inlaws in Canada and I plan to apply for PR card using their address once I am there but question is when we apply they ask to give up the PR card, so how will I re-enter Canada to pick the card?
That's how. Once your relatives get the notice of the PR card and you have to go pick it up, you can drive to Canada and use your landing documents to get in.