+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent Documentation help needed please!!

bradley2024

Mar 22, 2024
Hi everyone I have a few questions and would really appreciate for your help. It is a bit urgent as I have to file for my EE.

1. I just filed my tax for 2023 but I'm not sure if I should have selected Yes for Ontario Trillium benefits. I currently live in a room in a house and pay rent to the landlord via e transfer. Is the ontario trillium benefit only for principal residents (you own your own house?)? It says if you paid rent in ontario. I'm so confused about this. Do I claim ontario trillium benefits?

Application for the Ontario energy and property tax credit (OEPTC) (Ontario Trillium Benefits)
You may qualify for the OEPTC if, on December 31, 2022, you resided in Ontario and any of the following conditions applied:
• Rent for your principal residence was paid by or for you for 2022 and that residence was subject to property tax
• Property tax for your principal residence was paid by or for you for 2022
• You lived in a student residence
• You lived in a long-term care home and an amount for accommodation was paid by or for you in 2022
• You lived on a reserve and home energy costs were paid by or for you for your principal residence on the reserve for 2022

Should I be selecting yes or no if I stay on a lease and pay the landlord? I do not own any houses or properties.

2. The tax software I use asked me if I was a student in 2023 (i graduated in 2022). I selected No but still got around $18000 in tuition credits. I didn't fill this in, i linked my netfile account and it automatically grabbed it from my CRA account. is this normal?