+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

URGENT! Adding Spouse to the PR application w/o Wedding Ceremony

samccie2016

Feb 24, 2016
Hi,

I am a Sep 2014 CEC applicant, I haven't got my PR yet, still waiting for PPR. Me and my Fiance are planning to get registered marraige done in US. My Fiance lives in US.

But our actual wedding ceremony is going to be in October.

Do you think we can get registered marraige done here in Canada/US and I can add him as spouse under my application OR since we are going to get married in court and we won't have any wedding pictures is that something that is accepatable for my spouses application.

Thank you!

icecoldsea

May 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2014
Doc's Request.
15-02-2015
AOR Received.
15-01-2015
Med's Request
19-02-2016
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
12-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
21-12-2016
LANDED..........
22-12-2016
samccie2016 said:
Hi,

I am a Sep 2014 CEC applicant, I haven't got my PR yet, still waiting for PPR. Me and my Fiance are planning to get registered marraige done in US. My Fiance lives in US.

Do you think we can get registered marraige done here in Canada/US and I can add him as spouse under my application OR since we are going to get married in court and we won't have any wedding pictures is that something that is accepatable for my spouses application.

Thank you!
I filed my Application in Sept 2014 and got married in Oct 2014. I added my spouse in Jan 2015 to my PR application and I was asked to submit a set of documents including some questionnaires, photos of your wedding ceremony etc. You need to prove to them that you are really married for them to add the spousal application.

dazzlingcrystal

Apr 23, 2015
You can email CIC after the registration and let them know your wedding ceremony will take place in October, and CIC will send you the additional info for your spouse, and you can wait to submit them once you have your wedding ceremony. I added my spouse at a later stage, and their request email didn't specify a deadline (we sent all the requested document almost 3 months after the request, since I emailed them one month before the ceremony, notifying them my status will change in a month). If you don't mind the delay, email CIC as soon as you have the registration and that will hold off your file until you submits the spouse add-on documents.

naticom

Jul 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2016
Doc's Request.
27-07-2016 RCMP
AOR Received.
AOR1 26-04-2016 AOR2 14-06-2016
File Transfer...
06-06-2016
Take photos when you get registered and send along with your application package. Tell CIC you're gonna have a ceremony in October and let them later decide if you need to send more photos.
samccie2016 said:
Hi,

Thank you!

sundip111

Aug 4, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-09-2014
Doc's Request.
11-03-2016
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
09-02-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
Med's Request
10-03-2016
Med's Done....
11-03-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
14-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2016
LANDED..........
29-04-2016
samccie2016 said:
Hi,

Thank you!
If possible try to register your marriage here in Canada, less chances of further inquiries from CIC! Otherwise, it will totally be dependent on your VO.

Submit your marriage certificate and an explanation letter stating that you are going to have your ceremony in October - year!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
samccie2016 said:

Make no mistake, a civil marriage ceremony IS a real marriage ceremony, at least in the eyes of the law and IRCC. He will be your legal spouse at that point, and you will be required to include him on your application. There's nothing stopping you from having photographs or witnesses at a civil ceremony, although you may not need them.

It is perfectly fine and acceptable to have a traditional / religious marriage ceremony later, but yes, it would be wise to inform IRCC of that fact.

And - congratulations!