+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Update IRCC address with no ongoing application

pityman

Mar 22, 2023
I think most people know they need to update IRCC address change when they have an ongoing application. However, anyone have experience to update IRCC address change when they do not have any ongoing application?

I am a PR and I am now in Canada. I just would like to update IRCC my new address, just in case they need to reach me. I think the current address in the IRCC system is the address for PR card mailing, which is already 3-4 years ago.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think most people know they need to update IRCC address change when they have an ongoing application. However, anyone have experience to update IRCC address change when they do not have any ongoing application?

I am a PR and I am now in Canada. I just would like to update IRCC my new address, just in case they need to reach me. I think the current address in the IRCC system is the address for PR card mailing, which is already 3-4 years ago.
They basically do not have a system to update addresses for those without applications on file. Purely transaction based.

pityman

Mar 22, 2023
You can try but I think they will not care and deposit in what is called "the circular file." Meaning, the garbage.
Then my question is, in case the IRCC really wants to contact an immigrant (e.g. a PR) for whatever reason, how will IRCC do that?

pityman

Mar 22, 2023
Email perhaps?
I ask this question because I heard in some cases the PR broke the promise when they applied for their PR (e.g. PNP case and they moved out of the province) and in this case the IRCC managed to contact the PR why they moved out of the province specified in PNP. I wonder how they do that. Obviously, the address on the IRCC file may be too old.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I ask this question because I heard in some cases the PR broke the promise when they applied for their PR (e.g. PNP case and they moved out of the province) and in this case the IRCC managed to contact the PR why they moved out of the province specified in PNP. I wonder how they do that. Obviously, the address on the IRCC file may be too old.
They're the government, let them figure it out.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If email, then I would wonder IRCC co
When you look at PGP 2023, those people who entered their EOI in 2020 but not selected in 2021-22, didn't know their application were ongoing until they received the email last month that they were invited to submit their application for sponsorship of their parents & grandparents for immigration.

As for those PNP case who broke promise, might had contacted IRCC when they renew their cards, sponsor their spouse, parents & grandparents, etc.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
True. CRA and Service Canada may be their source of information.
Honestly, I think most of the time they'll just wait until a PR surfaces to make some application (PR card, citizenship, whatever), and deal with it then.

Or maybe email first and then just wait.