+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Unviersity or College for better job prospects

merwyn.xavier

Feb 6, 2011
Hi,

I've been interacting with many students (Marketing and Advertising background) in Canada through facebook in regards to the courses available for Marketing and Advertising.

Most of the Students recommended me to do a graduate course from an University rather than a College.

[My background (MBA-Major Marketing+BBA and 2 years work exp in Advertising) - Mumbai, India]

Students/Graduates who are in Canada and currently studying / Working can shed some light on this topic.

What I think about pursuing education from:
- Canadian Universities: + Employers choice, Good pay packages, On-Campus placement, Higher employment opportunity - Expensive, GMAT required, Good GPA, Theoretical
- Canadian Colleges: + Career oriented and practical approach, hassle free admissions - Low pay packages, Lower employment opportunity

Please correct me If I'm wrong with my understanding about Universities and Colleges..

Few queries:

- What do Employers prefer? a Graduate student who has passed out from an University or a College?
- Do graduates from Colleges find decent Jobs in their related field?
- What is more important for Canadian Employers Educational background (Canadian Education) or Canadian work experience?

I will be grateful if someone can help me out with these queries..

Regards,
Merwyn

fahad83

Oct 12, 2010
Hi Mate!
Did you even explore college programs because as far as i knew most of the colleges offering undergraduate degrees there are some who are offering post graduate diplomas but i don't think its a good choice to go for a diploma program when you are already holding Post Graduate Degree.

So my point is you are already an MBA so why are you even thinking about colleges, :eek: your only option is university. :'(
Or do you want to repeat your studies from the beginning. ???

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
I completely disagree with fahad83 that u do not have to consider colleges. Actually i have known a couple of very well qualified immigrants, some PHD, and some with Masters degree, even from top US universities attending colleges to acquire the local needed skills and also to get the networking required.

Actually if u are a mature adult with a couple of yrs of experience and are bent on working in the real world rather than research, i would recommend u to attend college for a post grad certificate or a post grad diploma, no point taking a masters again in the university, as that would not only incur higher cost, but also limits the networking that u require to land a job in the working world instead of the academic world.

The choice is yours to make but this is personally from a person who has witnessed the value of university and colleges in Canada, cause i have attended both and i have found the college to be more work oriented than university, which is more academic oriented.

merwyn.xavier

Feb 6, 2011
Hi Fahad and Abelkwh, thank you for your replies..

@Fahad, I think your impression about colleges in Canada is incorrect..Canadian Community Colleges are more career oriented and its makes you job-ready..and Most of the Students in Canada do their degree (Bachelors) from Universities or maybe even their Graduation (Masters) and after which they apply in Community colleges to upgrade their skills required for a specific Job/Career.

@Abelhwh, Students / Individuals who have credentials of US universities will definitely be preferred by any Employer and In your example the couple has a US univ. background and after which they did a PG diploma in College which would be a good value addition for them, on the other hand I have done my Bachelors and Masters from Mumbai University in India.

So the question would be will a Canadian Employer hire me full-time for a decent Job after completing my PG diploma course from a Canadian Community College?

Will have a higher chance of getting a Job if I do another MBA/other Graduate course from an university?

Any International students who have experienced any biasness in this context (University vs. College)

Thanks & Regards,
Merwyn

fahad83

Oct 12, 2010
HOLA!!!! this topic now becoming quite a debate!
I don't agree with either of you but then again different peoples have different opinions.

If you are planning PG studies then i don't think its a good option to go for a PG diploma its much better that you select a university program with co-op option if you want working experience as well.

If you are planning for a professional diploma then its much better that you select one which is globally recognized rather then selecting one from some community college. There are great deal of options available for each and every field.

@ merwyn can you name some colleges who are awarding Master's, i knew some colleges but their fee's are on par with university so there really is no point in attending them, also some colleges are offering PG diploma and then you can continue your further studies in Australian or American universities, but is there really any point to it? Unless you are planning to continue your studies endlessly be my guest. 8)

Then again i am not saying that selecting a college is a bad idea, colleges fee's are definitely lower then university and its much better for those who wants to go for undergraduate studies , attending two yrs in college and then transferring your credits to universities definitely reduce some financial burden especially when the international students fee's are 2 to 3 times higher, some colleges offering articulation agreements with universities which gives the option to transfer credits hassle free.

So mate my overall point is if you are a working professional especially with post graduate degree then selecting a university is a much better plan, I almost explored all the colleges and university websites and it took me a great deal of work to find the course which is fulfilling all my requirements.
Since you are planning for a huge investment in your career so be very wise in selecting the courses.

merwyn.xavier

Feb 6, 2011
Hi Fahad,

My questons are still unanswered..

Will a Canadian Employer hire me full-time for a decent Job after completing my PG diploma course from a Canadian Community College?

Will have a higher chance of getting a Job if I do another MBA/other Graduate course from an university?

My Background (MBA- Marketing from Mumbai University + BBA - Marketing from Mumbai University and 2 years work exp in Advertising) - Mumbai, India

I've two options:
1) MBA - Marketing from Brock University: $40,000* (Fees) + $20,000 (Living expense for 2 years) = $60,000 (* not sure about the final figure, might be more)

2) Two PG Diploma Course from Sheridan - Advertising Management and Humber/Sheridan College - Marketing Management: $30,000 9both the courses) + $20,000 (Living expense for 2 years) = $50,000

fahad83

Oct 12, 2010
I already answered most of your question

q)Which is better university or college
a)University

q)Will a Canadian Employer hire me full-time for a decent Job after completing my PG diploma course from a Canadian Community College?
a)I suggest you should try provinces other then BC and Ontario,because these areas are already populated their requirements of skilled workers are almost fulfilled plus there is too much competition highly skilled workers from around the world are already available in these provinces.

q)Will have a higher chance of getting a Job if I do another MBA/other Graduate course from an university?
a)It entirely depend on your luck but which ever you choose make sure you enroll in co-op program

Tonucml

Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abelkwh said:
I completely disagree with fahad83 that u do not have to consider colleges. Actually i have known a couple of very well qualified immigrants, some PHD, and some with Masters degree, even from top US universities attending colleges to acquire the local needed skills and also to get the networking required.

Actually if u are a mature adult with a couple of yrs of experience and are bent on working in the real world rather than research, i would recommend u to attend college for a post grad certificate or a post grad diploma, no point taking a masters again in the university, as that would not only incur higher cost, but also limits the networking that u require to land a job in the working world instead of the academic world.

The choice is yours to make but this is personally from a person who has witnessed the value of university and colleges in Canada, cause i have attended both and i have found the college to be more work oriented than university, which is more academic oriented.
oh dear! i am agree with you!

merwyn.xavier

Feb 6, 2011
@ Tonucmi: thanks for your reply..

but what are the job prospects after a college PG diploma...considering my background i.e. MBA- Marketing from Mumbai University + BBA - Marketing from Mumbai University and 2 years work exp in Advertising in Mumbai, India.

Regards,
Merwyn

Tonucml

Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
merwyn.xavier said:
@ Tonucmi: thanks for your reply..

but what are the job prospects after a college PG diploma...considering my background i.e. MBA- Marketing from Mumbai University + BBA - Marketing from Mumbai University and 2 years work exp in Advertising in Mumbai, India.

Regards,
Merwyn
I am going to land over there on 2nd may, 2011. I am bachelor in Chemical Engg and MBA(Major in Int'l Business). I know i have to take any types of diploma certificate from Canada to enter the job market of Canada.

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tonucml said:
I am going to land over there on 2nd may, 2011. I am bachelor in Chemical Engg and MBA(Major in Int'l Business). I know i have to take any types of diploma certificate from Canada to enter the job market of Canada.
Nice to see you are almost same as am I as far as education-type acquired is concerned :)

Me, M.Sc in Chemistry, MBA (Industrial Management/Supply Chain Management).

But since you know how London VO dealing with us (Pakistanis) I haven't yet started thinking how I gonna go improve my studies there but if I was you (with stamped passports in Hand by Grace of Allah) I would definitely opt relevant skilled diploma course from any community college as my brother-in-law in Toronto also advises me the same for getting job quicker in relevant field.

Best of luck and be in touch.

Tonucml

Oct 17, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
phdmaker said:
Nice to see you are almost same as am I as far as education-type acquired is concerned :)

Me, M.Sc in Chemistry, MBA (Industrial Management/Supply Chain Management).

But since you know how London VO dealing with us (Pakistanis) I haven't yet started thinking how I gonna go improve my studies there but if I was you (with stamped passports in Hand by Grace of Allah) I would definitely opt relevant skilled diploma course from any community college as my brother-in-law in Toronto also advises me the same for getting job quicker in relevant field.

Best of luck and be in touch.
Ok dear Salman,

i do not have any problem to take any better suggestions. you will inform me which one would be fruitful for us.

skyline1241

Mar 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
merwyn.xavier said:
Hi Fahad and Abelkwh, thank you for your replies..

@ Fahad, I think your impression about colleges in Canada is incorrect..Canadian Community Colleges are more career oriented and its makes you job-ready..and Most of the Students in Canada do their degree (Bachelors) from Universities or maybe even their Graduation (Masters) and after which they apply in Community colleges to upgrade their skills required for a specific Job/Career.

@ Abelhwh, Students / Individuals who have credentials of US universities will definitely be preferred by any Employer and In your example the couple has a US univ. background and after which they did a PG diploma in College which would be a good value addition for them, on the other hand I have done my Bachelors and Masters from Mumbai University in India.

So the question would be will a Canadian Employer hire me full-time for a decent Job after completing my PG diploma course from a Canadian Community College?

Any International students who have experienced any biasness in this context (University vs. College)

Thanks & Regards,
Merwyn
I also think so.

Abeer.can

Apr 16, 2011
Hi guys, Thank you for all the arguments/informations provided in this forum by the whole lot of you. I myself am in quite the similar dilemma as merwyn.xavier. You see I graduated with a bachelors in computer science and IT, from a British university that has an esteemed reputation around the world and is currently within the top 100 universities around the globe. I have a considerable amount of work experience, but mostly scattered and very diverse ( all are professional white collar jobs though.) Now I want to migrate to Canada or at least want to continue my studies there and also work for a while, at least thats my target for the time being. So I have looked into a few universities out there and well after a lot of research, I have decided to instead pursue a Post-graduate certificate in Strategic relationship marketing (4 mnths co-op) from George Brown college. I am a bit scared after reading a few blogs and articles about job prospects for international students after graduating from a college/university in Canada. Underemployment is considerably high in Canada, which also is a major 'freaking out' thing for me. Please guys/gals, It would be deeply appreciated if anyone would help me out with info on this matter? Any international currently in Canada, who have undergone such an experience would be most-highly appreciated.
Cheers!! :D